Patchbay noob question

frank1985

I’m looking to buy a balanced samson-s patchbay and have a quick question regarding stereo operation. When connecting various stereo rack fx, will each side of the stereo field (l/r) need it’s own set of channels on the bay or can I use a x2 TS to TRS y-cable from the fx unit to free up more channels?

See the image below...

https://s10.postimg.org/ngq66ag89/2050_FA98-_A5_C5-4_F4_D-_A07_E-38807_D123_DC0.jpg

In other words, can one input/output on the patchbay operate in stereo or does this need to be split between two separate channels?

I’m hoping I can use the y cable method as otherwise I may need an extra patchbay to accommodate the stereo fx..

AFIK its one input/output per. The TRS is for using balanced signals, not stereo, though you can probably use it for stereo or insert or whatever as long as you route it correctly. PS not a good idea to put input and output from one device on top of each other as during normalled operation this would be a loop

Last edited:
The patchbay doesn't actually care what's on any of those connectors. It'll connect T>T, R>R, and S>S either way. In most instances, it will probably work just fine. You will obviously lose any benefit you might have gotten from a fully balanced connection. Some (mostly really old) gear doesn't much like being un-balanced by way of shorting the R to the S, but I have honestly never run across a situation where that was a real issue. Just don't blame me if something explodes. ;)

Ashcat nailed it. You can do the Y Cable thing, but it will just add another failure point in the signal chain. You would be much better off getting a second patchbay and just doing it right.

Always worth repeating, especially in the noob section I think?

There is NO SUCH THING as a "balanced" patch bay or cable. There is only a balanced 'system' i.e. the output of a device must be balanced, the cable must have 2 circuits (usually plus shield) and the corresponding input must be balanced.

As said above, a TRS patch bay will work or not work depending on how you wire it up.

On the 'shorting the cold side' question? This can matter even for modern equipment. An NE5532 driver IC will not be damaged driving a near short* but it WILL produce horrendous distortion and that can crosstalk into the wanted signal. (weird twitterings!)

Just as an aside, most 'stereo' FX boxes are mono in, stereo out.

*There will surely be at least 47 Ohms in each OP leg to avoid instability with capacitive loading.

Dave.

Back