Panning

DMC

Hey was wondering how panning is effecting how hot i'm able to get my sound down to tape on my TASCAM 424 Mk3?? I know panning left or right move's the signal but how do I use this to my advantage? (I'm currently recording acoustic guitar,vocal's & drum's live on track's 1&3 panned all left, then panning 1&3 all right with tack 2 panned center for base & the same for track 4 lead's, back-up's, bouncing etc. On mix down I run all pan's center, so far this is working o.k. but I can't seem to find much more than a definition for panning would love some technique info! Sorry so huge a Q! Thank's dmc

Thank's for the sugestion, I've tried that out and it work's o.k. but if I'm using the buss L on 1&3 (like manuel say's) center panning is weak, should I just bag the buss L option and go direct? So many options,good if you know what your doing but I've burned enough tape experimenting any technique someone is running most of the time with good result's would be appreciated!

Hey DMC:

When I mix down, I go all recorded channels DIRECT and then use panning to fix positions of maybe one or two channels; if I do a vocal client, the voice has got to be up front and centered for my ears. Kind of like the old Sinatra recordings which were done on some great mics.

I've found if I try to do too much with panning, like horns, or keys, the results aren't as good. But, sometimes, some hard left/right panning will produce a funky neat sound. I sometimes spend 3 hours mixing one cut while I experiment with reverb settings and pan, and volume. Need to use studio monitors to tweak your cuts as headphones are too good of an environment. What you like in the headphones is not what you will get in the mix.

Keep mixing,

Green Hornet

Ummmmm I don't know what you mean by mixing direct, I can record direct but I just throw my line switch to tape when I mix down. Maybe that's just what my machine does?? I'm trying to think about tape in section's (I don't know why? I'm fully winging it here!)but when I apply that thought to panning I can't help but think that panning left say on track 1 when recording is going to load more or be a hotter signal to the left side of the tape. (my tape in sections theory) Anyway I'm sure I'm overthinking this but it seem's to be a by-product of trying to get a decent sound! Thank's Green Hornet DMC is out.................................

Back