PA speaker failing to boot?

Ctoan

Hi guys,
Completely new to the site and i found this place by trying to google troubleshoot my issue, so i hope you guys can help. I have a behringer B112D PA speaker, i basically use it at parties, so people usually get drunk and try to change/ turn the music up fiddling with any knobs they can touch, which could be one of the reasons why it's broken. Anyway, the speaker wont boot, there's three lights that flash in sequence, the two input lights (green) and the power (orange). If it is left in this booting phase for long enough it will eventually turn (1-3 hours) and ive found heating it up speeds this process (i know that will make some of you cringe, apologies). I usually do it intermittently with a hair dryer or leave it out in the sun. Once it successfully boots it sounds as good as it did out of the box, and usually i can turn it off and back on again with out any hassles. however once it cools down again, the same issue will occur. Any ideas? i assumed it must have something to do with the soldering if heating it up helped.
Thanks

You've got something wrong with it, in the amp section most likely. Get it to a service location to be evaluated. Last thing you want is it start a fire at your house from overheating.

I usually do it intermittently with a hair dryer or leave it out in the sun. Once it successfully boots it sounds as good as it did out of the box, and usually i can turn it off and back on again with out any hassles. however once it cools down again, the same issue will occur.
Thanks

Are you tech handy?
If you can competently remove and refit components I'd open the unit and look for bulged PSU caps.
If you can't, have a friend do it or take it to a local repair store. If I'm talking Greek, please don't open the unit.

I've had this type of thing happen with televisions, LCD screens, sky boxes...all sorts of things.
Symptoms have always been as you describe. Units would power on, fail, reboot, in a cycle until eventual successful power-up.
All units had daily use for at least 6 years before cap failure.

Are you tech handy?
If you can competently remove and refit components I'd open the unit and look for bulged PSU caps.
If you can't, have a friend do it or take it to a local repair store. If I'm talking Greek, please don't open the unit.

I've had this type of thing happen with televisions, LCD screens, sky boxes...all sorts of things.
Symptoms have always been as you describe. Units would power on, fail, reboot, in a cycle until eventual successful power-up.
All units had daily use for at least 6 years before cap failure.

Not competent enough to solder anything haha.
paspeaker 2.jpgpaspeaker.jpg
here's some photos of the inside that i think look suspicious , is there anything there that looks off?

When you use the hair dryer, where are you applying the heat, outside on the control panel or did you open it up, and for how long is the heat applied?
ive taken it apart and heated the power/amp part of the system and it turns on within 10 seconds. its a really small area.
Thanks guys.

First up check all those push on plastic connectors are on properly and making contact. I think I can see 3 of them.

Alan.

Looks like that gray 22uh cap is leaking from the bottom. 2nd picture from the bottom. Lower third of picture, brown goo. Also, follow your nose! These things almost always smell burnt near the culprit.

Nothing much to add to what the chaps say.
BE VERY CAREFUL WHAT YOU TOUCH, but do make sure that any push fit connectors and cables are solid.
Also, make sure the wires going into them are solid and making good contact when the plug is pushed in.

I see the brown goo too. Hard to know if it's glue overspill or leakage, but try to find out. :)

Obviously make sure she's unplugged if you're poking near anything and DO NOT assume that unplugged means safe.
Capacitors often hold enough to kill.

Oh, I see where he is now.
I thought he was talking about the lower left one of the 4 largest silver topped caps. (penultimate photo).

Probably is just glue.

good advice! ^^

On the B215D there are two LED's (Clip and Power) that use 15v. That 15v is derived from a 20v supply from the main switching power supply (TR3), so in the B115D if those are lit that might indicate the power supply is at least up and operating correctly.
When i first turn it on, it is just the orange light. As i heat it, the green ones begin to flash simultaneously, then a few seconds before it successfully boots they begin to flash in sequence. So weird.
Also the goo does seem to be from that suspected cap. It's solidified and doesnt smell though.
I'm hesitant of poking and prodding around in these things while it's turned on. whats the best non conductive thing to use haha.
Thanks.

Back