output speaker connections to an audio interface

What is that opinion based on, actual frequency response measurements done by you? Done by someone reputable?

I'd be willing to bet that even average home audio amps are flatter than the best studio monitors. Designing an amp with linear response is relatively easy. Designing a speaker with linear response is probably physically impossible with conventional drivers.

This goes back decades to Mr Peter Walker, CEO of Quad amps when he offered the sum of £2000 (iirc) to anyone who could reliably demonstrate a difference between two very well designed power amplifiers . To my knowledge, and despite many kgs of BS from audiophool reviewers since, the money has not been claimed.

N.B. This doe NOT apply to valved guitar amplifiers (and probably ALL valved amps to some degree!) which are imperfect creatures that we nonetheless love.

Dave.

There are others on fleabay also.....
mjbphotos Pirate Radio

if you do any searches look for "whole house FM transmitter"

I used to have an FM transmitter module that I bought at Radio Shack. I can't recall if it has stereo ins or not.

Interesting idea! Now can I find one of these at half the price .......

You could do as I have done and run balanced audio over CAT5 cable, does not even need to be shielded for line level* signals.
I am guessing you have a pretty decent interface Mike? This can therefore drive a pair of "600" Ohm transformers (OEP make a good one, I can give you the pt# if you like) . The trick is the other end where you need either a really top quality 10k bridging traff or a unbalancing chip circuit, the latter is a pretty easy build with an NEE5532 (WTF, does nobody make such a gizmo AFAIK?) But! You could try just connecting to the AUX input of the amp, could well be as clean as a whistle.

*Best to run at +4dBu then attenuate to neg tenish at the amplifier end.

There are of course all sorts of wireless streaming doodydads I like my old fashioned copper!

Dave.

Well, yeah, running a cable is the easy solution, but making it 'invisible' means running it down to the basement. then back up to the living room

"Well, yeah, running a cable is the easy solution, but making it 'invisible' means running it down to the basement. then back up to the living room "

Mini-trunking.

Dave.

"Well, yeah, running a cable is the easy solution, but making it 'invisible' means running it down to the basement. then back up to the living room "

Mini-trunking.

Dave.

Had to look that up. Hardly invisible!

I just bought a small FM transmitter for $6 on fleabay. USB powered, 1/8" stereo plug for the input, so I should be able to plug right into the mini headphone jack on my Tascam. Will see how it does!

Had to look that up. Hardly invisible!

I just bought a small FM transmitter for $6 on fleabay. USB powered, 1/8" stereo plug for the input, so I should be able to plug right into the mini headphone jack on my Tascam. Will see how it does!

Well you paint it! Now, the very best FM from TX to the best receiver (Revox say) hit over 1% THD at peak deviation. I would expect a six dollar rig to be at least an order worse at 10dB below pk dev!

Talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'poth of paint?

I bought a £80 video+ sound transmitter. VERY noticeably worse than co ax.

Dave.

There's a saying about radio mics...

"You can spend $3000 on the best radio mics on the market and end with a system almost as good as a $20 XLR cable."

...but sometimes needs must!

Well, we'll find out how good it is when I get it. Dave - more than a 'coat of paint', I've got a doorway between the two rooms. I could do like I do to stream internet to my TV - run an HDMI adapter cable between the two (I don't do it often), and run a stereo line to the hifi, but that's a temp thing. Just looking for a quick way to send audio to the stereo system. If there's some distortion, so be it, as long as its listenable. Would be good for putting Pandora, etc on the stereo, too, rather than blasting my studio monitors - which gets the music too loud in this room just to hear it in other rooms.

Update - got the $6 'transmitter' today. it's fairly bad on quality, some distortion and just a general lessening of quality, but for sending signal from the computer, it works fine and is good enough for that use.

Back