Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: output speaker connections to an audio interface

Thanks

output speaker connections to an audio interface

Sign in to disable this ad
    i have a roland duo capture audio interface that i use with ableton live 9 suite

i also have a pair of old sony ssd270 speakers (rated impedance is 6 ohms ,mentioned at the back of the speakers)
    i'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to get these speakers working by directly connecting them to my interface

so i connected these speakers wich have +,- sockets at the back (im not sure if these are what you would call RCA) with a cable tht has a 1/4 inch on one end plugged into the output socket on the interface and the other end of the cable splits into two inorder to connect to the +,- sockets on the speaker.

i did this for both the left and the right speakers.

the speakers actually work . because in ableton under 'preferences' , when i switch on the 'test tone' and bring the 'tone volume' to 0 decibles i can hear the tone when i press my ear against the speakers .

is there any way i can make them louder ? and make them funtion as loud as they would normally .??

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ogdensnuts View Post
    is there any way i can make them louder ? and make them funtion as loud as they would normally .??
    You would need to put an amplifier between the Roland and the Sony's. Being Passive speakers, they need that addition to amplify the signal from the Roland's output.
    www.themrclean.co.uk
    Cheap Gear - In A Square Room! Getting the job done!

Thanks
    thanks a lott mr,clean

Thanks
    Welcome to the forum!
    Computer: 15" Macbook Pro w/ 2.33 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM - DAW: Studio One Producer - Interface: TASCAM US-1800 - Monitors: KRK Rokit 5's

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    For the benefit of others. DO NOT connect very low impedance devices like passive speakers to line outputs of things like interfaces or mixers.
    It is very unlikely with modern gear but there is still a possibility that you could damage the output stages of some devices.

To the OP. Have a look around charity shops and Cash Converter type stores for a hi fi amp or receiver. The well known names, Sony, Yamaha, Denon et al, all made excellent gear and hi fi amps are very stable, long lived products that perform to original specc' for decades.

Dave.

Thanks
    +1 for what Dave said. I was having my monthly trawl through cash converters last week and the had a 2 x 40 watt Sony amp (in nice clean condition) for $35. before I even tried negotiating. I didn't need it but was tempted!
    The pessimist sees the glass as half empty. The optimist sees it as half full. The realist just drains the darn thing and gets a refill!

Thanks
    I wanted to replace a stereo receiver in my studio area that took up a bunch of shelf space and was overkill for the listening I was doing, so I bought a car radio sized FM receiver/amp on Amazon for about $30. It does have audio inputs (haven't tried them as of yet) and it does give good volume to a pair of small monitors I have. It might work well as an amp for the interface outputs.
    Amazon.com: Lepai LP-S60 4 x 25W Desktop Amplifier with Remote/USB/MP3/SD/FM: Electronics
    Mark.......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arcaxis View Post
    I wanted to replace a stereo receiver in my studio area that took up a bunch of shelf space and was overkill for the listening I was doing, so I bought a car radio sized FM receiver/amp on Amazon for about $30. It does have audio inputs (haven't tried them as of yet) and it does give good volume to a pair of small monitors I have. It might work well as an amp for the interface outputs.
    Amazon.com: Lepai LP-S60 4 x 25W Desktop Amplifier with Remote/USB/MP3/SD/FM: Electronics
    Glad you find the amp useful Mark but 12volt car gear is generally quoted into 4 Ohm speakers (and they say UP to 25watts!) and of course most "hi fi" passives are 8R so at best you will only get around 13-14 watts. This will be quite loud but leaves very little headroom for peaks. Not for nothing do even pretty bottom feeder, $200 active monitors have 50+20 watt internal amps! (and bi-amping gives even more headroom than a straight 70W with passive X over would).

Of course, ICE CAN be very powerful! Many porkies are told of kW car systems but certainly several 100s of watts can be had. Problem is powering these from a mains supply. I would use sealed lead acids and a trickle charger!

Then of course there are some very compact, pretty high powered amps, might be lucky and drop on a Quad Current Dumper! (I don't have that sort of luck).

Bobbsy! Now see, I would have bought it! I have an 8i6, USB mic, 2 phantom PSUs, A Behringer DI box and all sorts of other junk I don't need or use any longer! Can't seem to get rid.

Dave.

Thanks
    Get powered speakers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sparxx View Post
    Get powered speakers
    Well yes but! There may be a lot of people with redundant speakers and for the sake of a $50ish S/H amp will give them decent monitoring (but don't whack serious bass git thru them or screaming, distorted lead!).

Then there were some truly outstanding speakers...Spendor, Castle, Harbeth and a pair of Kef R105s would put a smile on any recordist's mush!

Dave.

Thread Information