Our home studio is crackling! Is it the monitor speakers?

Iamisandisnt

Lately I just completed a home studio setup that includes several Shure brand microphones, a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 26 I/O recording device that uses firewire to go into a new old-model 13-inch macbook with 2.13 ghz and 4 gb ram, using Cubase 4 Essential to record. The last piece to be acquired was a pair of Samson Resolv A5 monitor speakers.

Can anyone lecture me on to the proper order to turn these items on? Because occasionally we get hissing pops and cracks in the high pitch register on both speakers, and it will just keep happening or it won't be there at all. Seems to happen with peaks in the music but then it'll happen when there's very little at all going on at all, room ambiance and talking for example...

Any advice? Is my mac not powerful enough, are the speakers faulty, or are we just doing things wrong? Thanks in advance.

-Paper Face Productions :-D

Pops and Crackling

Popping and crackling could be caused by a number of issues in the chain. First check to see if you're only hearing it while you're monitoring a live source (like a mic monitor for record). If this is the case, the Shure microphones will pop and crack as they start to go and I would check that but ONLY after first replacing the mic cable.

However, If the pops are continuous whether you're monitoring live or not, then a good possiblity is that the crystal lock is going on your A/D input convertor or your IO unit. This is a very common thing.

If you could tell me more specifics about the problem, I might be able to help further, but this is a good method for narrowing it down. Best of luck.

-mixdownguru

Lately I just completed a home studio setup that includes several Shure brand microphones, a Focusrite Sapphire Pro 26 I/O recording device that uses firewire to go into a new old-model 13-inch macbook with 2.13 ghz and 4 gb ram, using Cubase 4 Essential to record. The last piece to be acquired was a pair of Samson Resolv A5 monitor speakers.

Can anyone lecture me on to the proper order to turn these items on? Because occasionally we get hissing pops and cracks in the high pitch register on both speakers, and it will just keep happening or it won't be there at all. Seems to happen with peaks in the music but then it'll happen when there's very little at all going on at all, room ambiance and talking for example...

Any advice? Is my mac not powerful enough, are the speakers faulty, or are we just doing things wrong? Thanks in advance.

Popping and crackling could be caused by a number of issues in the chain. First check to see if you're only hearing it while you're monitoring a live source (like a mic monitor for record). If this is the case, the Shure microphones will pop and crack as they start to go and I would check that but ONLY after first replacing the mic cable.

However, If the pops are continuous whether you're monitoring live or not, then a good possiblity is that the crystal lock is going on your A/D input convertor or your IO unit. This is a very common thing.

If you could tell me more specifics about the problem, I might be able to help further, but this is a good method for narrowing it down. Best of luck.

-mixdownguru

Maybe we should ask him if when he is using phones on the computers output this is till happening...I took it as he didnt have the problem until the last thing was added...and samsons QC is questionable.

After looking on the web, I note that the Samsons come with RCA connectors. You should try the speakers on some other equipment if you can. For example, try them using the line out of a stereo amp, or try plugging an ipod or mp3 player into them . . . see if the crackling persists. That will tell you whether it is the Samsons or something else. The other check is to use headphones, as suggested above. This, too, will tell you whether the crackling is appearing from within the system.

How did you connect up the Samsons to the laptop? Did you use the laptop's output, or did you connect the Samsons to the interface? They should be connected to the interface.

The general rule for switching things on is to go from source to destination, which means that the Samsons would be last*. However, it is unlikely that this would cause the problem.

* Though I personally don't bother with any order. My interface and monitors stay on all the time, and the only thing that sees the occasional use of an off button is the computer.

I hear that noise sometimes when i listen on headphones using my laptop soundcard. It's all the noise from the hard drive, etc. Do you have your monitors plugged into the computer soundcard or the Focusrite??

I'll also hear it on my focusrite if I turn the monitor gain all the way up and no signal going in. Lot of noise from the D/A converter. But, it shouldn't be running that way. Make sure you've got your gain settings set properly. Basically, turn the Samson input gain all the way up on both monitor speakers and then control volume with the focusrite.

Yes, thank you all for the awesome responses, I'll try to answer all your questions...

>>> Sounds like a loose connection in the monitor amps to me.

Checked all the cables, fiddled with all the knobs, check check.

>>> First check to see if you're only hearing it while you're monitoring a live source (like a mic monitor for record).

I also hear it when we play music off of You Tube. The mics are old and have been through a lot, but we get a really good recording off of them. When the setup isn't crackling, the recordings sound good. No hissing, or very little at least ;-)

>>> then a good possiblity is that the crystal lock is going on your A/D input convertor or your IO unit. This is a very common thing.

Please tell me more... is it easily replacable? I have tugged the thing off a shelf once by accident, and the back panel is a little bent near the power chord...

>>> You should try the speakers on some other equipment if you can. For example, try them using the line out of a stereo amp, or try plugging an ipod or mp3 player into them
>>> Maybe we should ask him if when he is using phones on the computers output this is till happening...I took it as he didnt have the problem until the last thing was added...and samsons QC is questionable.

TBH Those are the best solutions, but I have neither right now. A friend is coming over with his studio headphones and we're gonna test things out. I'll get back to you guys on that.

But what is QC? :confused: :confused: :confused:

>>> did you connect the Samsons to the interface? They should be connected to the interface.

They are connected to the interface. Outputs 1 and 2 to be specific, using 1/4" speaker cables

>>> Make sure you've got your gain settings set properly. Basically, turn the Samson input gain all the way up on both monitor speakers and then control volume with the focusrite.

Check and check

My suggestion was that it was on the inside of the amp...did you unhook them and try some cans (headphones)?..see if it is still happening.

Ok, so it sounds like the IO isnt keeping a lock on the samplerate. usually caused by a bad crystal on the board. your options at this point would be to have it checked by a tech for repair or have it replaced. sorry.

Yes, thank you all for the awesome responses, I'll try to answer all your questions...

>>> First check to see if you're only hearing it while you're monitoring a live source (like a mic monitor for record).

I also hear it when we play music off of You Tube. The mics are old and have been through a lot, but we get a really good recording off of them. When the setup isn't crackling, the recordings sound good. No hissing, or very little at least ;-)

>>> then a good possiblity is that the crystal lock is going on your A/D input convertor or your IO unit. This is a very common thing.

Please tell me more... is it easily replacable? I have tugged the thing off a shelf once by accident, and the back panel is a little bent near the power chord...

>>> You should try the speakers on some other equipment if you can. For example, try them using the line out of a stereo amp, or try plugging an ipod or mp3 player into them
>>> Maybe we should ask him if when he is using phones on the computers output this is till happening...I took it as he didnt have the problem until the last thing was added...and samsons QC is questionable.

TBH Those are the best solutions, but I have neither right now. A friend is coming over with his studio headphones and we're gonna test things out. I'll get back to you guys on that.

But what is QC? :confused: :confused: :confused:

>>> did you connect the Samsons to the interface? They should be connected to the interface.

They are connected to the interface. Outputs 1 and 2 to be specific, using 1/4" speaker cables

>>> Make sure you've got your gain settings set properly. Basically, turn the Samson input gain all the way up on both monitor speakers and then control volume with the focusrite.

Check and check

Ok, so it sounds like the IO isnt keeping a lock on the samplerate. usually caused by a bad crystal on the board. your options at this point would be to have it checked by a tech for repair or have it replaced. sorry.

Have the entire IO replaced or just the crystal? Any idea how much that might cost? :confused:

Whoa whoa whoa. Did you go over his house and diagnose the problem? He hasn't posted a clip of the crackling sound that's occuring. How can you be so certain?

It could be that your recordings are just clipping or a series of other things.

Check out a few of the things the guys on the board told you to before you go and buy a new one. It may not be that serious.

Back