Orban 424a compressor- setup help

samcarrington

Hello!

First time poster here. I recently bought a used Orban 424a compressor and I need some advice on connecting it to my preamp and interface. I'm using a WarmAudio TB12 mic preamp and a Presonus Firestudio Mobile interface into my Macbook.

So basically this is the chain: mic > TB12 preamp > Orban 424 compressor> Presonus interface >Mac

What's mainly throwing me for a loop are the terminals on the rear of the Orban since it's requires some manual wiring. Here's the pic of the rear: Imgur. I looked up the manual but it reads pretty technical so I'm not sure if I'm wiring it correctly. I tried to wire two 1/4" inch female jacks to the input and output terminals-- similar to this one. The preamp has a balanced out and the interface has a balanced input. When I hook everything up I just get a continuous hum/fuzz and then any sound input come out as low, crackly and distorted. The manual mentions this but just says that it would be a grounding issue.

Would anyone be able to give me some guidance on how I should connect my preamp and interface to the Orban?

Much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

The manual above should explain it....but basically, you take 2 balanced cables (with 2-conductors, 1 shield) and wire to the Input and Output lugs on the terminal (+, -, G).
On the other end you need either an XLR or TRS connector....and then wire them accordingly.
Usually with the XLR it's Pin 2 Hot/+, Pin 3 Cold/- and Pin 1 Ground.
With a TRS it's Tip to +, Ring to - and Sleeve to Ground.

You can ignore the other lugs on the terminal.

Why do you want to run the comp in-line with your preamp?
Be aware that the Orban 424A is not like other comps....well, it is...sorta...but it has a different operational mentality/design, and it's not as straightforward as your typical comps. Also....it's not really great for everything.
I don't know if I would use it on vocals....if that's your plan.
I have one, and of all the comps in my rack....that one gets the least amount of use....mostly I've used it on Bass guitar...but I'm sure it can work on other things too with the right settings.

How do you like the Warm audio preamp?
I've thought about getting one since it's supposed have some nice coloring options.

Back