Opinions for personal studio: Soundcraft SM12, Crest LM40, Soundcraft Venue 2

jeden

Hi,

I found a few mixers that seem interesting, and I would like to know more, specifically some feedback from someone who has worked with any of them.

Originally my plan was to buy a Mackie 24.8, but now I am open to other alternatives. I'm going to use the mixer for:

- drum miking
- drum recording
- multi track recording to a mac
- small home studio (just for personal projects)

This is a list of consoles that I seem to like:

- Soundcraft SM12
- Crest LM-40/12 century
- Soundcraft VENUE II

There are 3 things that all of they have in common:

- they are pretty old :)
- 8 bus
- they have a modular design - each channel strip can be removed individually, facilitating maintenance, which I could do on my own, if not too much complicated

The SM12 doesn't seem to have a direct out, so that would presumably limit its usage for multi track recording.

Why old, S/H units, lack of funds?

If so and you can do your own fixing the lack of DOuts should not be a problem. Gaggle of NE5532s. Could be one per channel unbalanced (or 'z' balanced) or use both sections per ch, and have full balanced +4dBu outs with ~ +26dB of headroom.

If cash is NOT the problem there are some really good mixers around now at really good prices and many incorporate converters and some can record m'tk to HDD.

Dave.

Thanks Dave,

Why old, S/H units, lack of funds?

Not actually lack, but the less I spend, the happier I am. So looking for a compromise.
For now it's just a hobby, I don't want to spend a lot because first I want to figure out what I need - starting with an inexpensive solution is what I think it's the right way to start. With time, I can figure out what I miss, what I like, and make better decisions about what to go with next, if I have to.

If so and you can do your own fixing the lack of DOuts should not be a problem. Gaggle of NE5532s. Could be one per channel unbalanced (or 'z' balanced) or use both sections per ch, and have full balanced +4dBu outs with ~ +26dB of headroom.

No, probably I am not at that level. Well, probably I could with some dedication, but what is lacking is time

I should have probably mentioned that the mixers I listed in my post are currently for sale in my area - I haven't randomly chosen them :)
I'm just looking around me to see what's available and what I can currently afford to buy.

Ok, so, Jeden. No big wedge of cash, no electronic smarts to components level and NO time!

Mate, you are F.K.C.D! Save and buy new and with a good firm with a warranty. Second hand could be a HUGE money/time pit!

And! I better say it first! Do you REALLY need a mixer? A good 8 way interface, Tascam US16-08 (or later) might be a better solution or have you got a multitrack interface that just needs mic pre and routing?

Dave.

Ok, so, Jeden. No big wedge of cash, no electronic smarts to components level and NO time! ]

Mate, you are F.K.C.D!

I have no idea what FKCD means, but :laughings:

Save and buy new and with a good firm with a warranty. Second hand could be a HUGE money/time pit!

No, I want to start now, and I'm aware that it can be risky. I can afford to buy the wrong mixer the first time (but I want to minimized that risk), as it will help me figuring out what to buy next.

None of the recent mixers (at a reasonable price) offers 8 bus - and that's one of my primary filters when looking around.

And! I better say it first! Do you REALLY need a mixer? A good 8 way interface, Tascam US16-08 (or later) might be a better solution or have you got a multitrack interface that just needs mic pre and routing?

Yes I do. I explained my needs in another post of a few days ago, summarized here:

Used Mackie 24.8 as a temporary mixer

Basically I have 15 mics to experiment with on my drumset (but I don't have to use all of them), plus other gear that I would want to have connected without having to swap with other inputs, as I am doing with my Behringer X1222.

And I don't have a multitrack interface yet - it's in my list, but it can be the next step after buying the mixer.

I know I could probably simplify things by a lot if I get a digital mixer (that's what I would actually buy next year), but I feel that having an analog console helps more for learning - and it's also more appealing, at least for me.

- Antonio

jeden, where are you located? I have a Mackie 24x8 in storage that I'll give you for free if you come pick it up.

jeden, where are you located? I have a Mackie 24x8 in storage that I'll give you for free if you come pick it up.

I'm in Poland, so presumably far, far away from you (but I hope to be wrong :-) Regardless of whether I can take or not, a huge thanks for the offer

Ok Jeden, so you need/want a mixer. Got ya!
A point to consider? You don't HAVE to have it all in one tin. You can use two or more smaller mixers to 'gather' all your mic and line signals. One mixer feeds a pair of inputs on a second and you have full stereo monitoring of the whole shooting match. (my ZED10 handily allows the Main Outs to be attenuated down to balanced mic level so as to feed the mic inputs on another mixer.)

You might also like to investigate patch bays?

Dave.

Ok Jeden, so you need/want a mixer. Got ya!
A point to consider? You don't HAVE to have it all in one tin. You can use two or more smaller mixers to 'gather' all your mic and line signals. One mixer feeds a pair of inputs on a second and you have full stereo monitoring of the whole shooting match. (my ZED10 handily allows the Main Outs to be attenuated down to balanced mic level so as to feed the mic inputs on another mixer.)

You might also like to investigate patch bays?

Dave.

It's a possibility I took into account, but honestly not appealing at all - in the end, I think it takes more space, more cables, and, visually, a mess compared to the fascinating look of a large analog mixer :)

It's a possibility I took into account, but honestly not appealing at all - in the end, I think it takes more space, more cables, and, visually, a mess compared to the fascinating look of a large analog mixer :)

Agreed but sometimes we have to live with what we CAN do!

Patch bays?

Dave.

The SM 12 is a stage monitor desk, not really appropriate for recording. The Crest Century, another live desk, is awful and unreliable. Every time I had to use one I wanted to pull my own head off. Venue II should be usable.

Back