Online courses?

Kleudde

Hi,
I see a lot of advertisement and videos for online courses on home studios. There are so many of them... Are they worth it? Did anyone tried one ? Do you recommand to take one and if so any one in particular?
To name a few I have seen here and there : Recording Revolution (i know some of you made fun of him Graham in some posts hehe), Hardcore Music Studio, Demo to Pro, Musician on a mission, activstudio.fr (french), etc.

I'm a beginner that only learned the basic basic and by mysefl. For now I'm just recording tracks and editing a little bit but eventually I would like to be able to mix and maybe master my recordings.

Thank you

Online education is incredibly varied in quality and depth. The reason teachers get qualifications nowadays is nothing to do with how good they are at their subject, it's how good they are at education and communication. I won't bore you with all the stuff I had to do to get the picture of a flat hat and piece of plastic tube for the photo, but most of it is dull - but there IS science behind learning. The huge variety of Youtube videos shows this only too well.

Everyone learns best when the material is presented in a style that works for the learner. How do you learn best? Will your course be one to one (excellent, if you get on), or is it a one size fits all course, where they send, you receive?

The wrong depth, width and delivery will become an obstacle to learning. Historically, recording has been self-taught with mistakes forming your best practice. People who want to speed things up now have choice.

I'm old and set in my ways. I do things my way because I've learned what works and what fails. I'm resistant to ideas that I see no sense in, and I hate fashionable changes to established techniques. Often I see recording setups that I know are not helping, and other times you see things you know will work before anything happens. You click your fingers in a space and experience says - yep, nice room. When I taught 16-21 year olds in college recording studios - they fell into two distinct groups. Those that you'd have to throw out when you wanted to go home - those that knew you came in at 8:10, and were hanging around to grab another 45 mins in the studios. Those that only came to you when things went wrong. Some of those students I still work with - they've made a decent career for themselves, and it's frankly no surprise they got there, with just guidance really from me. The others would turn up, sit down and after boring them senseless on compression for an hour, you knew they couldn't hear what I was hearing. They would struggle with everything, and even though they nodded their heads a lot - testing would show their understanding was confused and poor. I think theory can be taught remotely to suitable sponge like people, but recording? I'm not certain it works. I don't know how you would even be able to assess results? Theory on say mic placement, then they record and send it to you - you listen, but even if you hear faults or excellence - you don't know how they did it?

I'm just not certain recording is a good subject for distance learning?

The best I've found is PureMix.com. Fab who runs the site and makes the videos makes high quality videos covering all types of tracking, mixing, and mastering concepts. He also gets reputable guests to run lessons and show how they've mixed hit songs. Only problem is that there is no real "intro" level videos that cover the very basics of recording and mixing. If you already have a grasp of the very basic concepts though this is a good paid subscription site I would recommend to take the next step

Today I bought a couple of courses on Udemy, they were 13.99$ canadian each haha what do I have to loose !:) After that I shouldn't be newbie anymore hopefully and might think of getting more expensives ones.
Thank you for you're links, I put them as favorites for after the two course I just bought.

Back