One monitor for mixing?

LabrosPNS

Hello I want to get krk rokit studio monitors to help me with my mixing but with my budget now I can only buy one and later get another one. Can one monitor do the trick?
or will it be very bad for producing?

Hello I want to get krk rokit studio monitors to help me with my mixing but with my budget now I can only buy one and later get another one. Can one monitor do the trick?
or will it be very bad for producing?

No, you need a pair. I am no mixer! But on of the main planks of producing a modern recording is the stereo "panorama" whereby each instrument (or group of such, i.e. a drum kit) is placed in space.

You will also be told (bloody soon!) that you also need to treat your room to reduce its derogatory effect on the monitored sound quality, a great deal of that treatment goes to improve the stereo "picture" from the speakers.

It IS true that sound balancers, especially in the broadcast industry, often use a single, mono'ed speaker to check mono compatibility but that is a technical matter that will not concern you at this stage.

Keep saving and do the best you can with headphones and the home "hi fi" if there is one. Cars systems, boom boxes, ALL have a tale to tell!

Dave.

What Dave ^^^ said X2 (for 2 speakers). Save, then buy - what would you do if the model you bought one of changed things during production and the next one you bought differed?

Last edited:
If you've got about $200 and don't mind the red color, you can grab a pair of these. I find them to be more honest than KRKs. The Rockits seems to have exaggerated bass response, and simply sound 'too good' to trust for mixing. I sold my KRKs, bought these (in a different color) and haven't looked back. My mixes have translated to other systems so much better since. However, my room IS fully treated and as Dave pointed out, yours probably should be too.

JBL LSR305 5-Inch Two-Way Bi-Amplified Studio Monitor - Limited Edition RED | Musician's Friend 305&index=2

Ok guys thanks for replying Im going to save for two krks or probably buy the jbl ones (I hate that red colour)

In my country jbls are about the same price (unit) as krks so I am just going to buy one krk and tell my local vendor to keep me other one to buy on christmas. Will one do the job temprairly until i get the other one

Back