Old vs. new for budget mixer?

Cliff K

Hi folks,
I've outgrown my Tascam M-308B mixer, and I'm looking for something to expand it or replace it. I record to a Fostex reel-to-reel 8-trk, but I've now built up more midi'd synths and effects, plus the tape returns, than I have inputs for. I like the way my Tascam M-308B mixer sounds, but I need more inputs. I'm considering one of the these scenerios:
1) try to find another old board, like a Tascam M-308, and slave it to the stereo buss insert on my present mixer.
2) Get a small new mixer, like the Yamaha MG series I've heard okay things about, and slave that to the M-308B.
3) Get a larger new mixer, like the Yamaha MG-16/4, or maybe the 20 input version of my old Tascam (but I think these would be hard to find and expensive...for me), and sell-off the M-308.

The easiest thing is to walk into GC and buy a new Yamaha MG series mixer, but I don't have a lot of experince trying different mixers and I wounder if the newer budget mixers like Yamaha MG, Berhinger, small Mackies, etc., will sound as good as the older Tascam, StudioMaster, etc., mixers.

So, does a new Yamaha MG mixer sound as good as an old Tascam M-308B?

My budget is around $200.

Any thoughts and feedback will help.

Thanks!

difficult call

only you can tell. tascam and yamaha both make pretty good preamps. i would ask a store to rent an mg awhile while you compare to the 308. its a tough call.

Thanks, Manning. I know this isn't like Neve vs. Trident, or any thing like that. The Yamaha's nice and small......it might be a handy satelite board to the Tascam. Someday when I have more money and more room I'll get a real one, but the old Tascams kinda neat...good eqs on it.

Thanks!

Back