Old newbie

causnorign

Hi, I'm Eric. An old guy with to much time on my hands. Been playing (very poorly) acoustic guitar for about 10 years and decided its time to record myself, basically as a learning tool for self critique. I don't know anything about recording and want to start off as cheap as possible.

Around here, people have learned that if you buy cheap, you will end up spending more money over time to replace the cheap equipment.

How technical are you? Do you have any recording experience at all?

The simple initial solution for you might be a stand-alone recorder like a Zoom, there are few models, depending on your budget.

Hi Eric,

Welcome to HomeRecording.com!

If we can learn a bit about your intentions and expectations, that'll help a lot in offering suggestions.

Do you simply just want to hear yourself for practice/learning purposes, regardless of quality,
or are you interested in making pretty nice sounding recordings, too?

Will you be recording vocals? If so, is it all to be done as one take (live performance) or guitar first then vocals later?

Do you see recording expanding as a hobby for you, or is it always going to be just you and your guitar?

Do you want your recording to be computer-based?

Since you said this is a learning tool for self-critique, you already know about as much as you need to about recording. i.e. you don't really need to know much of anything...go buy the cheapest mic you can find (sory mjb, in this case, you're wrong.....case in point I have an $8 wal-mart mic I bought 10 yrs ago, still going strong) that will plug into your PC (probably one with a USB connector is best) and voila, you're ready. There are various free recording apps that you can install off the 'net...I suggest Audacity. Really easy to use and has far more features than you need, esp since all you really need is to hit RECORD, play and hit STOP. :) g/l

Back