Old and confused?

judge_mental

Hi, I'm a guitarist of some 55yrs and I just want to do a simple thing, I want to lay down a 4 track piece from my guitars and keyboard.
I have guitar, I have amp I have pc. What else do I need to get going laying this 4 track composition to my pc that I can replay at leisure? Thanks in advance and sorry for being from the Stone age.

A basic two input audio interface plus a DAW (recording software) should do it. Most interfaces come with a basic DAW, but you can use different software if you like. That will let you connect microphones, instruments and line sources and record them to the computer while hearing the live inputs plus anything that's already been recorded. You'll want closed back headphones for tracking and a set of monitors (studio speakers) for mixing the results.

The acoustics of the space you use will have a substantial effect on what you record with a microphone and how you hear it when mixing. Some degree of acoustic treatment would be a good idea.

All of this stuff is discussed on this site. If you have more specific questions, just ask.

I can relate, consider getting a simple stand alone recorder. You may not be ready for recording on computer, but you can easily mix it on the computer.

I can relate, consider getting a simple stand alone recorder. You may not be ready for recording on computer, but you can easily mix it on the computer.

I could be missing your meaning? Recording into a stand alone may be simpler initially. But you still have to be up to speed on the DAW, plus the added task of transferring the files into the projects.
I do this enough -with live recordings, that I see it as an added layer of task.
Ok for a night's capture', but would be awful for building out songs. (Record, check, erase/add/redo/build on etc.

Oh and Judge'... '55..' Ha! Puppies!
:>)
Welcome to the site :>)

Hi, I'm a guitarist of some 55yrs and I just want to do a simple thing, I want to lay down a 4 track piece from my guitars and keyboard.
I have guitar, I have amp I have pc. What else do I need to get going laying this 4 track composition to my pc that I can replay at leisure? Thanks in advance and sorry for being from the Stone age.

Hello young 'un (me near 73) and welcome. I shall not prevaricate around the shrubbery but tell you EXACTLY what you need in order to capture your "Mag' opus"! From input to output...Assuming a decent budget (you never said?)

Microphone(s): Shure SM57 but buy a good quality foam "pop" shield with it and a couple of XLR mic cables*. Mics plural because if you have an acoustic guitar a Small Diaphragm Capacitor (aka "condenser) is more useful. The Se Electronics Se8 takes some beating.

Mic stands! Peeps often forget these. One full sized boom stand if you are an upstanding singer but the $20 half sized jobbys are great for getting at an amp or Ac git sat down.

Audio Interface: I shall strongly recommend the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. Tell you why more later if you like but, you mentioned "keyboard"? You may not have heard of it but you will kick yourself later if you don't get an AI with MIDI. Likewise you need an AI with low "latency" (again tell more 'ron if you like) Yes, there ARE cheaper AIs but nothing I know of with the connection versatility, stability and low latency. The KA6 will also work on PC, mac and any Operating System I am aware of including Linux.

Digital Audio Workstation: This is the software you use to record, edit and repaly your creations. The KA6 comes with a very workable version of Cubase but that does not suit everyone. Try Reaper but you can (now!) download working demos of all the major DAWs. I use Samplitude Pro X 3 and there is a very powerful free version called Samplitude Pro X Silver. Be advised..NONE of this software is "easy" you will need to put in some work.

Harkening unto stuff: Start with a pair of Closed Back headphones. I love my AKG K92s (abt $50) but there is a vast range. You will however need a pair of monitors eventually to get a proper idea of your sounds. Again VAST range but I see "Adam" have just entered the budget market with the T7V at around $400pr. I really would not spend less. (revd Sound on Sound Aug 18).

*You will need a few and don't stint on QUANTITY. Nothing worse than being stuck of a wet Sunday with a dodgy mic lead, have spares. Don't pay silly money but good quality will be more reliable (won't make Jack S diff' to the sound) I suggest spending around $1.00 per mtre on XLRs and a bit less for jack leads.

Hope all this helps. Not touched on room treatment and techniques but you'll larn and there is plenty of help about.

Dave.

Whatever route you're comfortable with i guess, mixsit. For me, that extra step of transferring files is much easier than computer recording. Good Luck.

Computer recording can be as easy as recording on a basic multitrack hardware recorder, and it gives so much more possibilities.
Use "Acoustica Mixcraft". After having set a few parameters for your audio interface, you will be making and recording music in a few minuts. Look at beginner tutorials on Youtube.
Mixcraft is unique in that regard. You'll face a much longuer/harder learning process if you use one of the other more famous software like Cubase, Reaper, Ableton Live, Sonar, Samplitude etc ...

Last edited:
Computer recording can be as easy as recording on a basic multitrack hardware recorder, and it gives so much more possibilities.
Use "Acoustica Mixcraft". After having set a few parameters for your audio interface, you will be making and recording music in a few minuts. Look at beginner tutorials on Youtube.
Mixcraft is unique in that regard. You'll face a much longuer/harder learning process if you use one of the other more famous software like Cubase, Reaper, Ableton Live, Sonar, Samplitude etc ...

I have just installed Mixcraft and it look er, ok but I think it is misleading to say it is easier for the newb to learn than many other DAWs?

As a simple audio "grabber" Audacity is at least as easy to setup and IMHO Samplitude is on a par with Mixcraft in fact the latter is very similar in layout to the former!

The OP is "confused" and I think it does him a disservice to suggest that ANY DAW is going to be easy at the beginning. Certainly, Mixcraft/Samplitude are more "intuitive" to me than Cubase but that is just a personal impression, other may not agree. I have and have paid for Reaper but I hardly ever use it precisely because I have to get my head around the different "MO".

The DAW is THE hardest part of Home Recording. This chap is an "old guitarist" and as such I expect he knows his way around gear like amps and pedals, mics and maybe mixers and PA. The hardware side of HR probably won't faze him then other than not knowing good from bad. Fortunately there is almost NO "bad"! Any of the AIs from the leading names will do excellent basic recording but some have better, more stable drivers than others and lower latency.

Dave.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling the OP just wants to lay down some tracks for his own use and maybe was thinking more about recording direct rather than using mics...........just a thought from another old fart (68yrs last Saturday).

:cool:

You could record directly into your computer using an Audio/Digital interface - plug your instruments into the interface..
which may come with a lite version of recording software.

Or you could use something like a Tascam Porta Studio (I use a DP-03SD). All digital 8-Track recorder/mixer with basic effects (EQ Reverb) - everything you'd need
in one unit. No software to worry about. Almost as easy to use as an old stereo reel-reel tape recorder. You also have the option of copying from here to your PC to
be replayed with your music player app. Even put that on a CD for your car.

I may be wrong but I get the feeling the OP just wants to lay down some tracks for his own use and maybe was thinking more about recording direct rather than using mics...........just a thought from another old fart (68yrs last Saturday).

You are right I am sure and there are many ways to do that, for instance I sent my son a Souncrarft 8FX mixer for the purpose because it can act as an interface but also be useful in the 2 piece band he plays over in France.

The fact remains however that the mic>AI>PC setup is THE most common and in many ways, the best audio quality setup. The 'noob', even an "oldish" noob is well advised IMO to go with the mainstream method.

The handhelds have come along famously in the last 5 years or so but interfacing with a PC is a secondary function. CDs can obviously be burned in a PC (though Optical drives are getting rarer in the "Notebook" market).

Dave.

my 61yrold brother bought my standalone tascam years ago when I moved to the DAW.

His standalone is now suffering buttons dont work etc.. and I talked him into buying a spare USB Interface/PC/DAW (I loaded free Reaper on it) so he bought it last week.
He hates computers, the keyboards, he doesnt even like emails...ahaha..he doesnt get online much, rarely.

I just tell him look at the DAW as a Reel to Reel. No internet is needed, no software other than the DAW is required. I told him you dont have to use all the plugins and software stuff and in the beginning just do like a DAW=Reel to Reel...keep it simple..... and you dont have to do emails!! hah

I lied somewhat. He opened the boxes and setup the pc and plugged in the Audio USB box...then he asked wheres the manuals? I said their all online. He said that sucks. "so I do have to go online"....er...yeah.

then his pc couldnt connect to his house wifi...
because no one knows the password...

the cable guy had done all the cable tv stuff and modem and wifi. so now he has to call the cable guy to help him get on his locked wifi....so he can get online and read the manual...to learn the DAW and Audio interface.

I offered to send him a paper manual, I can download it and print it...or a refund.

His standalone is not error free either, neither were Reel to Reels.... I didnt mention how Windows 10 mandatory updates can screw his system up... on second thought maybe a Tascam NEO is ok for him?

Personally I think between windows issues and the DAW vs going back to a 1" LED screen to edit waves and the very limited memory....I still think the DAW wins at being easier and more analog like.

Those ZED units that are mixing board and USB interfaces seem cool...though only 2 input...might be less confusing than the little audio box.

He looked at the Reaper screen and said "wheres the mixing board?"
I said its at the bottom...
He said "but wheres the eq knobs and sends?"
I said well....you need to probably look over the manual...and the eq's are plugins..."
He asked "so the manuals are online too ? and I need plugins for the eq and stuff?"

I thought...hmmm... maybe a Tascam NEO is easier?

Attachments

• DAW simple start.png
    DAW simple start.png
    46 KB · Views: 19
Well, yes Cool Cat but almost by definition, someone who comes HERE for recording advice is going to be a bit PC cute.
They will have setup email and negotiated getting on the forum. In many respects I don't really care about the guys/gals who have not/cannot get that far? Let them buy a tape/mixer system and make technically worse recordings!

The fact is, MOST of what you do to make good to excellent recordings is down to mic, room, and, EVERSUCHA LOT, experience and skill!

Dave.

very true! didnt think of that...OPs already made the big leap onto the internet!
I would definitely do the DAW. Those tiny standalone screens for editing arent easy.

Mixcraft and Samplitude (Music Studio) do look alike, i wonder who has been copying from the other !

It is a fact that Cubase (which i have been using as well for years) or Reaper will take much more effort and manual reading vs how quick it is to understanding Mixcraft.
There is a playlist of tutorials called "Mixcraft University" on Youtube. You can't find more easy and simple than that !

If the goal (when having a pc available) is to record music alone at home, to me the hardware recorder option is "obsolete":
-It costs more (we haven't mentioned it but there are free Daws, "Studio One Prime" for ex, which is also quite simple/intuitive)
-it is not as convenient (small screen/diving into menus and submenus),
-it has far less possibilities/options vs Daw.
-and you still have to read the manual to understand how the machine works. It would not take more time in Mixcrat to setup your audio and record your first track !

There are a lot of details of computer usage, like installing software, using the file system, basic troubleshooting, etc., that are way beyond the basics of getting on the internet and sending an email or posting in a forum.

When I retired from a career in software, I taught some basic computer skills and programming at a local junior college for 3 semesters. I had assumed, being an old fart that knows my way around computers and so our kids had PCs at something like age 2 or 3, that all the kids today would be pretty tech savvy. Not a given. And I have lots of friends my age who are pretty tech-phobic, even if they've caved to having smartphones and playing music from Pandora via Bluetooth in their cars. Yes, a couple are totally at ease using a computer and DAW (and my friends are mostly folks with at least one college degree), but more are not, TBH.

I'd suggest to someone (that's pretty hesitant) to find a local course on computer usage, if possible, to get comfortable with more of the details of computer use than using a browser or phone apps. If they come away from that ready for more, then start on something that has a lot of good online videos, and at least one "lifeline" friend they can call that's familiar with the specific DAW they're using. Even then, it can be a pretty big hurdle for anyone not seriously motivated. Just my experience.

P.S. Because PC usage is IMO becoming less common in the age of smartphones and slates/iPad devices, something like using an iRig or basic interface with an iPad and GarageBand (or similar on an Android device) might be a lot easier and familiar for many, with probably quicker decent results. I think that configuration is probably not a long suit in the more PC-DAW centric crowd, here, though. (I've used mine maybe 2 or 3 times.)

"Mixcraft and Samplitude (Music Studio) do look alike, i wonder who has been copying from the other !"

It must be well over ten years ago that I bought a "DAW" in W.H.Smiths called "MAGIX Audio Studio Generations 6 (which implies 5 previous versions?) . It must have been a while back because the MIDI did not work with XP to which I had just switched (and still hanker after!) . The audio side was however fine but limited, to 16bits as much as anything else.

Only a year or so later, Computer Music magazine gave away Samplitude SE8 which I still have and use frequently. It is obviously Gen 6 "growed up" and we never looked back!

Does Mixcraft have a similar lineage?

Dave.

There are a lot of details of computer usage, like installing software, using the file system, basic troubleshooting, etc., that are way beyond the basics of getting on the internet and sending an email or posting in a forum.

When I retired from a career in software, I taught some basic computer skills and programming at a local junior college for 3 semesters. I had assumed, being an old fart that knows my way around computers and so our kids had PCs at something like age 2 or 3, that all the kids today would be pretty tech savvy. Not a given. And I have lots of friends my age who are pretty tech-phobic, even if they've caved to having smartphones and playing music from Pandora via Bluetooth in their cars. Yes, a couple are totally at ease using a computer and DAW (and my friends are mostly folks with at least one college degree), but more are not, TBH.

THANK YOU!!!

At least someone here understands that there are a lot of people, that for various reasons, don't take to PC software like a duck takes to water.

Filou said that for him/her, the hardware option is obsolete, something that is fine for him/her, BUT, overall, hardware is not obsolete, it is just a different option if you wish to record your music...........simples.

THANK YOU!!!

At least someone here understands that there are a lot of people, that for various reasons, don't take to PC software like a duck takes to water.

Filou said that for him/her, the hardware option is obsolete, something that is fine for him/her, BUT, overall, hardware is not obsolete, it is just a different option if you wish to record your music...........simples.

I don't think we should be so "polarized"? Even though I am an electronics tech of some 60 years experience I do/did NOT "take to software like a duck..."! In fact when others I knew were playing around with Spectrums and I recall one guy bringing a "BBC Computer" into the workshop, the whole computer movement left me cold. I could not see any interesting purpose to them except for business use.

I remember when that changed. Spring 2005 recovering from an HA wife brought me a copy of Sound on Sound. I was of course totally at home with mics and amps and tape recorders. Specifications, decibbale was very familiar to me* but, the computer stuff? Waaaay over my head and it took a good 2 years before I was able to put together a modest system and run some basic stuff.

*The noob will not know any of this and I would aver getting fluent with audio ANALOGUE technicalities takes as much work as the digital side.

In my job I had to demonstrate technical kit like VCRs. Most people were ok but a few were just lazy bastards who refused to RTFM!

IMO If you can read, shop and calculate change, cook a 1/2 decent meal, drive a car FCS! You CAN get a DAW doing basically recording IF you put some effort into it!

Dave.

Back