Old and confused?

I may be wrong but I get the feeling the OP just wants to lay down some tracks for his own use and maybe was thinking more about recording direct rather than using mics...........just a thought from another old fart (68yrs last Saturday).

:cool:

Not dead yet, aus... ;)

Hi, I'm a guitarist of some 55yrs and I just want to do a simple thing, I want to lay down a 4 track piece from my guitars and keyboard.
I have guitar, I have amp I have pc. What else do I need to get going laying this 4 track composition to my pc that I can replay at leisure? Thanks in advance and sorry for being from the Stone age.

Do you own a teenager? They'll do it for you... ;)

Judge drops in makes one post and never comes back......I suspect Judge may be mental or perhaps not very tech savy and couldn't find his way back to HR.com and the post he posted...

Funny how we all jump in and keep it going even though he never replied back...

Judge drops in makes one post and never comes back......I suspect Judge may be mental or perhaps not very tech savy and couldn't find his way back to HR.com and the post he posted...

Funny how we all jump in and keep it going even though he never replied back...

That's what I thought. 'Twas ever thus. I just posted for the lolz value... :laughings:

The easiest way to record simple multitrack compositions is with a simple multitrack recorder.

The easiest way to record complex multitrack compositions with potentially complicated editing and FX, is with a computer DAW.

There is a place for both, and I love them both.

I recommend a dedicated, small multitrack recorder, to the OP.

Cheers!

stand alone digital recorders are great for starting out. still have to buy mics, cables, stands. don't need no daw but they usually do work together if you choose .

also a newbie... need real basic help in recording. once ive recorded the bass line( then what?) how do i convert it to wav to send to another musician via a laptop. seems it will only go to backup which wont send. thanks in advance

also a newbie... need real basic help in recording. once ive recorded the bass line( then what?) how do i convert it to wav to send to another musician via a laptop. seems it will only go to backup which wont send. thanks in advance

Which recording software are you using? (called a "Digital Audio Workstation") Whatever it is it is almost certain that you already have the recording as a .wav.

The most usual way to 'get it out' is to look top left>'file' then in the drop down menu >Export>as .wav (might be several other options) click that then you usually get a box where you can name the file, select parameters* then where to put it. I generally stick it on the desktop pro-tem.

Once you have your .wav you can attach it to an email if it is smaller than about 25meg if bigger I use WeTransfer Free.

*Such as, mono or stereo, 16 or 24 bits but not a lot of point in sending in 24bit IMHO. if you are given the option of sending as MP3 send at 320kHz as that is AS good as .wav for most applications but about a tenth the size.

Dave.

Perhaps should add, don't convert files at all if the intention is to bounce them back and forth, adding tracks as you do because whilst ONE MP3 squash at 320k will have virtually no bad effects, multiple encode/decodings certainly will.

Dave.

This should probably be a new thread, as the original started in 2018.

Not obvious the most recent poster recorded into a DAW. Is the file on a digital recorder? Etc.....

This should probably be a new thread, as the original started in 2018.

Not obvious the most recent poster recorded into a DAW. Is the file on a digital recorder? Etc.....

Yeah, my first thought was to get all arsey and say "Don't hijack yer Pelican!" but then is IS the noob section! Yes alsotoo, OP could be doing all sorts of audio ***t but I tried.

Did not notice it was an old thread? I never do.

Dave.

Yeah, my first thought was to get all arsey and say "Don't hijack yer Pelican!" but then is IS the noob section! Yes alsotoo, OP could be doing all sorts of audio ***t but I tried.

Did not notice it was an old thread? I never do.

Dave.
My comment wasn't really directed at you, Dave. Maybe an admin or the not-OP....

Back