OK, so, i got some recording stuff for....

yofe

Ok, my grandpa gave me a 24 channel mixing board, and a dig. 8 track. the 24 doesnt work, it was dropped by the fedex guy, so, we dont know what/how to fix it, so we might just take it in if its worth our time. anyways, i really want to start recording/my band does, so, what do i need, can i just use the 8 track? just help me out, thanks-

you theoretically don't need the mixing board.

it depends on what you're recording.

how many mics are you setting up?
if its just you and an acoustic guitar/bassist then an 8-track is excessive.

if you're going to do a live recording of a vocalist, background group, 2 guitar players, a pianist, a drummer, and a bassist.. you may need to group some tracks together (especially if you have drums, a drumkit will need multiple mics on it for sure)..

see what i'm saying :)

but if you need to record more than 8 tracks to a song you can just track them separately. you'll probably get the best results tracking in that manner anyways.. do a rythm track, then go back and record all the parts over individually, bouncing multiple tracks into 1 as you go along if you need to. i really have no idea what kind of setup you have so its hard to say.

yofe said:
Ok, my grandpa gave me a 24 channel mixing board, and a dig. 8 track. the 24 doesnt work, it was dropped by the fedex guy, so, we dont know what/how to fix it, so we might just take it in if its worth our time. anyways, i really want to start recording/my band does, so, what do i need, can i just use the 8 track? just help me out, thanks-

And while you're at it you should file a claim against FedEx if they wrecked one of your items.

get another 8 track and you should be set. The 8 track you have is called an ADAT. That particular model is a blackface made by alesis. Another one will work well with what you already have. That way, you have 16 tracks to work with, which should be enough.

I say all this assuming your mixer has ouputs on each channel

just saying if we could recording all our stuff on the 8 track by itself, what would i need to get rolling? Ie mics, etc... i have like a 200$ budget, im cheap, yeah...

you need the pre's off the board.

if you can get power to the board at all you can 1/2 jack out of the inserts on each chanell to go directly to the recorder, bypassing most of the board.

but you need to board, at least that much.

even if that works, you'll have no was to monitor the sounds, not even headphones.

you probably need a new board (or that one fixed)
the more i think about it the worse it gets (sorry)

You can, but you already have the ADAT. Theres better ways to do it based off what you have. I'm not too familiar with ADAT because I do mostly digital recording. But youre probably best off not doing computer.

yofe said:

lmfao he dropped it? you should get fucking compensation or something for that shit

Back