Odd ball monitor setup

wjcofkc

I am trying to put together a fairly ghetto monitor speaker setup. Here is what I am working with:
Pyle Home PCA2 2X40-Watt Stereo Mini Power Amplifier
Lexicon Alpha 2-Channel
Two really old (but totally awesome) 10 inch infinity home speakers.

I am trying to figure out how to use the speakers as monitors. As it stand I have the mixer and amp connected with RCA cables. The wiring between the amp and the speakers is that kind you have to strip (what's that called?) With the current configuration plugging my bass into the instrument jack on the mixer causes the sound to come out the amp. The mixer itself connects to a laptop via USB. I have no problem recording with say... Audacity, but playback only occurs either directly through the laptop speakers or PC speakers connected to the optical jack. How can I make the Infinities act as monitor speakers?

EDIT: I don't actually need my bass playing through the Infinities, I do have a regular amp for that.

Last edited:
Those amps aren't actually 2x40W of clean power, but depending on the sensitivity of the speakers they might get almost loud enough without too much distortion.

Are you using the Lexicon, or some USB mixer? Which one do you actually want to use for I/O? Pick that, then tell your DAW to use it's ASIO drivers for input and output.

If you can record to Audacity from the Lexicon Alpha "USB interface" (not a mixer), then Audacity recognizes it as the input device. You need to tell Audicity what the output playback device is, which will be the Alpha USB interface either in the Preferences or from the drop down menu with the little speaker symbol.

If you can record to Audacity from the Lexicon Alpha "USB interface" (not a mixer), then Audacity recognizes it as the input device. You need to tell Audicity what the output playback device is, which will be the Alpha USB interface either in the Preferences or from the drop down menu with the little speaker symbol.

Well don't I feel silly. I assumed I was looking for such an option and was practically staring right at it. Works now and sounds great, thanks.

Now that I have the playback straightened out, that little amp pushes them a lot louder than I had expected. No distortion that I can discern, but I dug these out of my basement due to their history of awesomness. I am 36 and they are older than me. Cliche time: I guess they don't make them like they used to.

I've had a few pairs of Infinity speakers over the years - they have always been awesome. Great brand.

Back