obvious noob question

Blavelle

so I have an old laptop and my friend hooked me up with his cool edit pro software and I'm really excitied to get recording! I may be able to get a Shure SM57 for a decent price, but is there anything else I would really need? will this mic just plug right into my computer?

yeah ur def gonna need some kind of a interface/ mixer. Then the cord from the mixer will plug in to ur laptop.
Ya will have some money to invest. Trust me i started doing home recording, and u need soooo much. It doenst start out expensive but- u learn about the quality of software, hardware, and all the features u either have or dont have. N thier is always something "ELSE" u have to have like cables, pre amps, connectors.. ect i mean the list goes on and on.

good luck man

you'll need an audio interface with a mic pre-amp. m-audio makes some cheap ones that i think are fine (i've never used one). you will plug your sm-57 into your mic pre-amp on your interface. your interface will convert this analog signal to a digital signal and send it to your computer.

[Blavelle]so I have an old laptop and my friend hooked me up with his cool edit pro software and I'm really excitied to get recording! I may be able to get a Shure SM57 for a decent price, but is there anything else I would really need? will this mic just plug right into my computer?

The 1st thing you gotta' do is to learn "Basic Mixing/Recording 101"! :)
Once you got that covered, you'll need to equip yourself with the most basic of recording "tools" such as flat-response,"passive" (amplification needed) or "active"(amplified) monitors to properly judge your mixes; mic-pre(basically boosts a signal to standard line level), an outboard or software-based, dynamic processor(a compressor; adj signal level & to control overall dynamics) and a efx unit (for adding 'Verbs, delays, chorus,etc effects to the signal).

Have fun mixing & rec'ding while learning everything you can. Though I have listed the basic "4 food-groups of gear">>> monitors, pre-amps, signal & efx processors,<<< by no means limit yourself to what I & others have posted in this thread as we are simply presenting you with the most basic of basics!

MISTERQCUE said:
The 1st thing you gotta' do is to learn "Basic Mixing/Recording 101"! :)
Once you got that covered, you'll need to equip yourself with the most basic of recording "tools" such as flat-response,"passive" (amplification needed) or "active"(amplified) monitors to properly judge your mixes; mic-pre(basically boosts a signal to standard line level), an outboard or software-based, dynamic processor(a compressor; adj signal level & to control overall dynamics) and a efx unit (for adding 'Verbs, delays, chorus,etc effects to the signal).

Have fun mixing & rec'ding while learning everything you can. Though I have listed the basic "4 food-groups of gear">>> monitors, pre-amps, signal & efx processors,<<< by no means limit yourself to what I & others have posted in this thread as we are simply presenting you with the most basic of basics!
What are you doing here?? :confused:

I didn't know you ever came out of the jamfest threads!

watermelon said:
What are you doing here?? :confused:

I didn't know you ever came out of the jamfest threads!

ROFL :D :p :D

Yo' watta'melon bet '01 & 03' I tried my best to help any and every-1 with
whatever lil' help,tips,hints I was able to offer, but after a while folks started asking the same questions over & over again w/o the benefit of even UTILIZING this BBS's "search function".

Dude, let's get real....how many times can you answer:

1)"What's the Best mic pre under $200?"

2)"How good is Behringer gear?"

3)"Best mic for (insert genre/style)"?

4)"What's the diff bet bal'd and unbal'd cables"?

etc, etc, etc.!!! To me, the "NEWBIES" forum is the only place here where peeps post quests because theyr really don't know (& sometimes I don't even know) and honestly need help!! Other than an occassional post in other forums, I mostly hang in the Cave so 's I can get my SPAM-JAMFEST groove on! ;)

Back