? Numero Uno from a rookie

mandoVol

First off thanks for having me.
I’ve never actually made it to the mastering stage of Garageband, because I choke at some point and screw up. I can manage a scratch track because there’s no pressure to be perfect, just be on time. However, and I’m sure these questions have been asked a million times here, so please don’t go in dry.

1. I can’t figure how to edit out a mistake on GB. There are
dozens of tutorials on YT, but I can never nail the punch-in with the countdown feature. Does this make sense?
2. I realize most everyone has at least, a decent condenser mic for vocals, but there’s a guy named Luwen, that does some great tutorials on YT, with just an SM57. Until I get a condenser mic, will this method work, and if so, what is a general rule on placement? Say just for a scratch track that is just guitar and vocal?
3. I’ll be recording almost exclusively acoustic instruments for bluegrass, will I get a better result if I go D/I or mic the acoustic guitar, mandolin, Fiddle, and banjo? All of them have on board pups BTW, but they don’t sound good direct. Is there a method to fix that? What do the professionals typically do?
4. I have no clue on plug ins, in particular the compressor for vocals. When do you use it, pre or post, and how do you configure it?

Lastly, and this is a weird one. In each track on Garageband, there is a
signal meter that I assume indicates the level of each channel. Sometimes one is extremely lower than the other. It’s almost like it’s picking up in mono. Sometimes it’s works where both level are equal, but most of the time they’re not. It’s like I’m missing a setting when I’m setting up the track to record. There’s no symmetry in gain settings. I took a video of it to post, but I can’t get it to post here.
Do I need to use a 3rd party host for video files?

Thanks in advance for any feedback you guys can provide.

Cheers

1) Forget 'punch in' for now. Just record a new take on a new track, then use automation on the volumes (or if GB allows, copy a section and insert on top of the track to be fixed.
2) Use the 57. Record each instrument and vocal separately, don't try to do voal + guitar on 1 track.
3) Don't DI acoustic instruments unless the sound is really what you want.
4) Concentrate on recording a good track first. COmpression, EQ, etc are used to enhance or fix the tracks or to make the tracks fit together better.

Once you have enough posts here, you can attach pictures or MP3 files, not videos.
You should be tracking in the -24 to -12dBFS range. DOn't be worried about different tracks being at different levels, that's what you adjust during mixing.

A couple questions [MENTION=199004]mandoVol[/MENTION]:

Is this GarageBand on a Mac or iOS version, and which version of GarageBand?

What kind of interface do you have, i.e., how do you connect the SM57 to the computer/iPhone/iPad?

+1 to everything [MENTION=39487]mjbphotos[/MENTION] said in his reply.

I'm a bit confused about the signal-meter/stereo/mono discussion, so describing the hardware you're using might help. You should be recording individual mono tracks, and then using the PAN "knob" to place the recorded track in the stereo field of the final/full mix, e.g., guitar to the left, mando to the right, bass, voice in the center.

Once we know what your specific setup is, we can be more specific.

Back