Normalizing in Pro Tools

batchmister1

Greetings

Is normalizing the same as limiting? How do I normalize my tracks or song in Pro Tools 7? How often should one use normalizing? thanks

b.

no, normalizing is the same thing as turning the volume up
many people will suggest NOT normalizing a track.
All normalizing does is search your wave form for the highest peak, then turns up everything in relation to this peak so you don't clip. This presents a problem if your peak is at -1dB while everything else may be at -10dB. Because then you may only get a maximum of +.9 dB of gain out of the entire track.

I don't have 7...but normalize should still be found in the audio suite menu (under OTHER hopefully)

Normalizing in Pro Tools is best for vocal track sing your vocal track after it is all complete bounce it to a wave and import it to the same track u can mute the old vocal track.
Now go through the vocal track and Normalize each phrase separately not all at once this will give you vocal track life. :eek:

waffen6 said:
Normalizing in Pro Tools is best for vocal track sing your vocal track after it is all complete bounce it to a wave and import it to the same track u can mute the old vocal track.
Now go through the vocal track and Normalize each phrase separately not all at once this will give you vocal track life. :eek:
Automation is a much better way of doing that. Normalizing only deals with peak volume, you want the average volume to be the same. Normalizing won't really help.

Try a compressor.

Back