the noobiest of noobs here!

Cholula

Hey everyone!
I basically know what a home is and what a recording is and my knowledge stops there!

I want to record my vocals, but I live in a high rise where your neighbors pound on your walls if you sneeze, so I want to know what I should do to be able to record at my place and have the option of recording somewhere more private like in a practice room or when I visit my parents. I have a desktop PC right now. Should I buy a laptop? Or is there some way (of equal quality) to record using something non-computer with the intention of editing it later on a computer?

I've been researching home recording for a little while as I've recently come to the conclusion that if you want something done right you've got to do it yourself. Still I am a clueless mess, I have no idea what software/hardware I need to buy or what brands/programs to go with!! I need to be able to create good backing tracks for my vocals too. I am musically savvy, but not proficient on any instruments. Help please!!

I don't even know what to expect for a budget... I plan to be doing music the rest of my life so it's worth it to me to make an investment. I'm not really rolling in cash right now though... so middle of the road budget I guess?

options

You could go with something like:

1. Fostex MR-16HD multitrack recorder $350
Studio-Projects B1 condenser mic $120
Cubase Essential 4 $150
Total $620

2. Laptop w/ firewire $1000-2000
Presonus Firebox (Cubase included) $250
Studio Projects B1 $120
Total $1370-2370

These are just suggestions of options that you have. You could substitute different mics, sequencers, multitrack recorders, etc. I'm not sure how you want to create backing tracks, but both of these options will allow you to record guitar, keyboard, synths, midi, etc and then playback the tracks and record your vocals. With option #1 you would transfer the tracks to your desktop for mixing.

If your walls are so thin that you annoy your neighbors, chances are they are also so thin that your neighbors will be heard on your recordings. Isolation is what you need for this. A room within a room would be the best option but may not be practical or affordable in your situation. A smaller version (vocal booth if you prefer to call it that) of the room within a room idea might be a practical solution to the noise problem. Search this site, there is a lot of good info on building isolation rooms.

Back