Noob Question about Cubase and mixer

kasey84

Hi guys, I'm Kasey and new to this site. I've played music for awhile and looking at recording. So, total noob question. I looked on threads but didn't see an answer (though I certainly could have missed it). I have a Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK, and am looking at getting Cubase (on the trial version now). How do I route things so that the faders and EQ work on the mixdown? I get either where the faders work on playback but then the mixdown is silence, or the faders and EQ on the MTK do nothing but the mixdown has the sound. I could always use the EQ on Cubase, but I definitely like the idea of the hands on quality of the hardware mixer and EQ. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your patience with the noob.

Not sure I understand the question.. but 'subscribing to follow along.
Looks like a nice mixer feature set for a good price :listeningmusic:

Don't know if this is along the line of what you have, but on the A&H QU you do have to switch all the ch input paths to (the playback USB drive which is what I use..) or the USB feeds from the DAW.

Thanks for checking in. What I mean is that the Soundcraft fader and EQ are present on the playback, but when I mix the track they are not affecting the track. I'm trying to figure out if there is a master send from the Soundcraft to Cubase during the mixing so that EQ and fader levels are applied. As is, a lot of the utility of the Soundcraft is wasted.

Soundcraft Signature 22 MTK |

A read of the above might throw some light on what you want to do.

If I understand you, you want to send the Cubase tracks back to the mixer (as you would with a bundle of cables with an analogue setup) 'mix' and 'FX' those in the mixer's circuits then send the stereo resultant BACK into Cubase? What is called working "Out of The Box" in analogue parlance?

Now, been a LONG time since I messed with Cubase and then not a lot but, you need to setup 'busses' for each input and each output, so each track will be assigned to output to a specific channel on the mixer. The mixdown will then be routed back to more 'bus' inputs in Cubase. Just a thought, the 'demo' version of Cubase might not let you do this? I know it is limited, i.e. not the full fat version for which you need to buy a dongle.

As you are not committed to Cubase try Reaper, plenty of top users here. Samplitude Pro X 3 would be my reccy, the trial download is not crippled in any way but it is expensive if you decide you like it.

Last suggestion for now, an email to Soundcraft should elicit a response? Maybe being a newb you are worried about contacting them? I would not worry, if Soundcraft are not sympathetic to the noob home recordists they are BARKING!

Dave.

It sounds like you are trying to use the mixer as a control surface in your DAW, which you cannot do. Dave's advice^ is the only way to do it.

It sounds like you've got the tracks playing through the mixer channels. If you want the channels' signals to appear at the main mix you probably have to assign them to it using the MST buttons.

You may need to set up a new track in Cubase to record the mix and set it to receive signal from the mixer's main output. Sometimes DAW-interface routing points are called buses, sometimes not. Either way, it's likely up to the user to tell the software how to connect to the hardware.

It sounds like you are trying to use the mixer as a control surface in your DAW, which you cannot do. Dave's advice^ is the only way to do it.

Mike, you got me thinking that the mixer might have some MIDI capability? A perusal of TFM tells me not so (but missing a trick there Soundcraft?) . The mixer IS however supposed to integrate with Reaper and Ableton. The latter makes sense I guess for live work but I think we all know which to go for for home recording?

There is a button per channel that selects 'input' or USB so that would be a starting point methinks?

Dave.

Back