Noise During Recording

ChenA

Hello!

My name is Chen and I just joined this forum.
This is my first message here and I hope you'll be able to help me.

I'm a voice over artist and in the last few months, I started to hear weird noises after I activated the 48V phantom power (It can happen any moment that the phantom power is on, not just on a recording). It doesn't happen all the time, but recently it became more and more common. Sometimes I would just wait a minute or two or just restart the computer and it would pass.
At first, I thought it's the computer because the noises had a steady beat or that they started to get faster at a steady pace.
I changed computer (to a new one with almost nothing on it) and the problem was still there.
Then, I changed my Shure X2u preamp to Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen and the problem is still there.
Now I'm thinking of changing my microphone, a Behringer B-2 Pro, but I wanted to make sure it's not something I might be able to fix (by myself or for a reasonable price).

I've uploaded an example of the noise to Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/chen-attias-2/noise

Thanks in advance to all of you,
Happy to join this forum :)

42low thanks for the reply.
Now you got me a bit scared :) sounds a bit like that horror movie "White Noise".
Do you have any idea what could be the origin of such noises?
because it's probably not computer related (as I changed computers) and not location related, as I had this problem even when traveling in Japan.

Do you have any idea what could be the origin of such noises?

Don't be scared. Ghosts don't exist (IMHO).

It could be a radio station. It could be someone who transmits it's radio/cd wireless to it's stereo. It could be some bad radio/cd electronics of which the disturbance 'transmits'.
Can be a lot.
And i have to admit that i don't know what to do about it. Better grounding within your system?? ... As a Faraday cage ain't a realistic option. :rolleyes:

Back