no usb input signal for Behringer XENYX X1204USB

viveklivingston

Hi,

I'm completly new to this.
I bought a Behringer XENYX X1204USB and I hooked it up with my pc as per the directions.
Im able to hear my mics and guitars through the monitors/headphone.
But the problem comes with the usb interface. I'm using adobe auditon to record. The software is configured to use the behringer USB device for I/O.
Im able to get the output in the mixer if i play something in audition.
But it is not picking up any input signal.
Have tried many software configurations and have tried all the possible combination of signal sending in the mixer.
The OS im using is windows XP.
The main purpose of getting this mixer is for recording and now it is not possible through USB :(
Plz help....

Have you selected the input source fro the actual track you are trying to record?

Have you opened the windows mixer window to check that the Behringer is the sound input device (not the inbuilt sound card) and that the input device is turned on?

Cheers
Alan.

Seems to me that the markings on that USB gizmo are ambiguous, to say the least. The lines are marked simply "Input" and "Output" and give no indication as to what that means.
Assume that "Input" means the signal coming from the Xenyx to the device and that "Output" refers to the return signal from the PC to your listening device. (mixer, headphones or powered speakers)
If you have set your preferences and armed your tracks (Stereo L & R) then you should be able to record with it.
Checking your Lines out of the Behringer is as simple as hooking up a listening device to them. If you're getting a signal through the lines out but nothing in your DAW then you have the USB hooked up wrongly.

the default device is set as behringer. The source is selected rite. If i try to monitor the input signal in audition, it shows absolutly no signal.

And yes Jim, the input and output that you described is exactly what i meant.
I also beleive that it is the problem with the USB... but not able to find where it went wrong.

Thanx for the quick responses

So switch it around.
Exchange inputs for outputs.
Also, try as many USB ports as you can.
Go into your device manager and look for yellow flags.

I use literally the exact same set up as you. (XENYX 1204usb, audition and XP)

Mine works fine, try messing with the audio hardware settings in Audition, I remember I had to do some fiddling to get it to work. (I know that once you have your usb interface set up properly you wont be able to play sound out of your computers sound card to your computer speakers, everything will have to go through your mixer -> monitors)

Oh, also this is pretty obvious, but have you made sure that the mixers preamps are high enough/the level on the track in set around 0db and also the main level at 0db and also that the 'Main Mix' button is selected in the 'Source' section)

Yep the DAW has to know what drivers to use. It sounds like you have done that. Or maybe try other drivers that are in the list.

In cubase you have to enable inputs and outputs.

Then For the audio track you have to assign an input to that track.

I'm having the same issue with both a vista and an xp machine.

My output audio works from the computer to the mixer, and my computer can recognize the behringer inputs, however when I arm a track in audition or any other recording program, I get 0 signal.

I have submitted this as an issue with behringer and am awaiting to hear back from them. If you found a solution to this problem, I would like to hear it.

I got audio to work once, but it required me to restart computer/mixer in a specific order which I have not been able to duplicate again.

Tom

Information that I received from Behringer. If you toggle the red 2-tr/usb buttons, then it will fix the issue.

Connect the USB connection from the mixer to your computer.

You will need to select the 2TR/USB to CTRL ROOM button so that the computer output will be routed away from the main mix to the CTRL ROOM output. Do not press the 2TR/USB to MAIN button. You will want to connect the control room outputs to your power amp or powered speakers and control your monitoring level via the CTRL ROOM knob. You will be able to monitor through the speakers or the headphones.

The USB interface built into the mixer is class compliant under Windows and uses core audio driver on a Mac. This means that it doesn't need a driver to be installed when used with Windows XP or Mac OS X. The interface built into the mixer uses the generic Microsoft USB driver, which is built in to Windows XP. The interface built into the mixer doesn't have to have a driver of it's own at all.

XP
From the Start menu in Windows XP, go to control panel > sounds & audio devices > select audio. Set your default sound playback to USB Audio Codec. Also set the default recording to USB Audio Codec.

Vista
From the Start menu in Windows Vista, go to control panel > sounds. Set your playback to USB Audio Codec. Also set the recording to USB Audio Codec.

In addition you will need to select what interface is assigned in your recording software. There should be some kind of preferences menu or options menu to select it. Refer to the users manual of your recording software for more information.

You can download Audacity from the BEHRINGER website.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Support/U-Control-Downloads.aspx

Alternately, you can get Audacity directly from Sound Force. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

Go into the edit > preferences menu of Audacity. In the Audio I/O menu, here you can select the playback device and recording device. This is where you select the USB interface. In the recording section, you will want to have the channels selection set to 2(stereo)<<<<<<<<<<
Make sure to have both boxes checked.
-Play other tracks while recording new ones.
-Software play through (play new track while recording it)

Audacity Frequently Asked Questions
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/help/faq

Remember any of the input channels routed to the main mix, should also be sent to the USB output as well. If you have a microphone connected to channel 1, make sure the MAIN button is pressed on channel 1 in order to assign that channel to the main mix. Make sure the channel 1 fader is up. Make sure the MAIN MIX faders are up. Make sure channel 1 MUTE button is not pressed. Make sure there are no SOLO buttons pressed on any of the channels.

XENYX X1832USB signal routing notes

1832 Application Guide One
An overview of input channel controls

Starting from the top of the channel ‘strip’ for channels 1 through 6:
(Note: Many of these controls are covered in greater detail (with examples) in the application guides that follow)
MIC input XLR balanced connection for a mic or similar low impedance signal
LINE IN input ¼” balanced (TRS) or unbalanced (2 -conductor) signal
INSERT jack a ¼” TRS 3-conductor jack (located on the back of the mixer) that acts as both a send and return to be used with a processor, like a compressor or effect unit. A special insert Y-cable is used, with a ¼” Tip/Ring/Sleeve on one end, and two ‘mono’ 2-conductor (Tip/Sleeve) connectors on the other end.
LO CUT button when this is pressed in, it engages a filter that cuts the low frequency range at 75 Hz and below, to remove stage ‘rumble’ and similar sounds.
GAIN knob controls the input level for MIC and LINE inputs
EQ HI knob used to boost or cut the high frequency range
EQ MID knob used to boost or cut the middle frequency range
EQ FREQ knob use to select the center frequency to be controlled by the EQ MID knob
EQ LO knob used to boost or cut the low frequency range
MON knob controls the level sent from the channel to the MON bus
AUX 2/FX knob controls the level sent from the channel to the internal FX bus, or it can be sent to a ‘post’ fader AUX send bus
PAN knob used to define where the signal is placed in the stereo ‘field’
MUTE button allows you to silence the signal in the channel
CHANNEL FADER used for adjustment of the channel output level
SOLO button used in conjunction with the MODE button in the MAIN section to select access of the SOLO or PFL functions.
SUB button is used to route the signal from the channel to the 1-2 SUB pair
MAIN button is used to route the signal from the channel to the MAIN MIX buss

Channel 7-14 inputs:
(These input channels function the same as channels 1-6, except where noted below)
LINE 7 ¼” jack will accept either a TRS balanced or TS unbalanced connector for the Left side of a stereo pair of inputs. If the LINE 8 jack isn’t used, the LINE 7 automatically serves as a ‘mono’ signal.
LINE 8 ¼” jack will accept either a TRS balanced or TS unbalanced connector for the Right side of a stereo pair of inputs.
LEVEL button selects use of either +4 level (for connection from a sound system or recorder) or -10 level (compatible with home stereo equipment).

NOTE: Stereo channels 9/10 through 13/14 function the same as the 7/8 channel pair shown above.

Same problem with Mac OS X and Garageband

I confess to be a beginner but purchased this same desk this week. Working great for live stuff but barely a blip on input levels to my Mac and no capacity to control input levels. Same problem. Have emailed Behringer and consulted a Mac guru mate with no joy yet. Must be something simple I am missing but comforting to not be the only one :-)

All wisdom welcome. Does anyone have this configuration working

i solved my problem. It was simply the main faders driving the level to the Mac. Unexpected and not intuitive but simple.

I had the same problem... but now is ok

I just bought a X1204usb, at the begining i had this problem, but i solved the problem using the control room out and pressing the main mix button on the source section...
Geron

REcording and playback 1832usb

Please help stupid overhere ... :confused:

Connecting my laptop to mixer (usb),using audacity, "preference" setting done blah blah blah all done ....

Problem is this .... To get the input signal to audacity,you need to toggle the 2 usb/ buttons ,BUT if you set them to get input,theres no output to the mixer and speakers,soooooo,if you've recorded something and you want to add backing vocals or whatever,you cant hear the previous recording PLAYING while doing the RECORDING.

Is there ANY way to setup in order to change this ?

I Don't use audacity, but from experience with other software, check the software mixer, is there a function for "Monitor," have you selected monitor mix, or mix to outputs (whatever outs you are using), it will be there somewhere.

Cheers
Alan.

O.k ,another problem. After reading "tmwilson's" post properly ,I changed my setup to record and monitor,which works "o.k". While recording,I monitor the recording through headphones (volume control through "control room" knob) while playing the audio track through the main output. (1832usb mixer ,XP on laptop,Audacity)

BUT, 2 issues.

1. is it seems to "double" all the sound, headphone and speakers.
2. If I "slide up" the input level ,it mutes the audio output and if I ""un-mute" it ,it "slides" the input back to zero ,all this automatically.

Audacity or soundcard issue?

Any suggestions ?

Hello everyone, I am also facing an issue with my Behringer X1832USB 18-Input Mixer where I am unable to get an audio signal to my laptop for recording. However, this worked few times for me initially when I started. Computer can send audio signals (when you play some music file) to mixer which I can hear through the mixer output. But there is no signal coming from mixer to laptop at all. I am using Windos XP and have correctly set the default device in control panel, sounds and audio devices to USB for paly back and recording. Can someone please advice me how to fix this problem?

Hello everyone, I am also facing an issue with my Behringer X1832USB 18-Input Mixer where I am unable to get an audio signal to my laptop for recording. However, this worked few times for me initially when I started. Computer can send audio signals (when you play some music file) to mixer which I can hear through the mixer output. But there is no signal coming from mixer to laptop at all. I am using Windos XP and have correctly set the default device in control panel, sounds and audio devices to USB for paly back and recording. Can someone please advice me how to fix this problem?

Make sure that the "2-TR to Main" is in the up position, the Mode is in control room, 2-TR/USB and Main in source are in the down position, and make sure your speakers are in the countrol room outs.

TO simply play a file through your main output speakers, put the 2-TR to Main in the up position. (red buttons)

This is for recording purposes. If you are only trying to listen or play music through use the second option, but for recording, you pretty much have to use the first.

This is for recording purposes. If you are only trying to listen or play music through use the second option, but for recording, you pretty much have to use the first.

Back