No sound when trying to record in Logic pro X with a mic'd speaker Cabinet.

Welly1997

Hi guys!

So I'm new here and I wasn't sure were to post this considering it's not really a post about recording techniques as such. I am a noob here so to speak. It's a recording question in general. I'm trying to record my Marshall JVM205 into Logic pro X with a Shure SM57. So far the chain is. Les Paul standard into the JVM head, speaker cable into the 1936 cab which is mic'ed with the SM57 into my 2i4 interface via an XLR. The problem is I have no sound when trying to record and the interface isn't picking up what I play. :mad: The gain led does flash when I play so it's obviously picking up signal. I am pretty new to recording through an actual amp as opposed to the amps 'simulators' within Logic. I already know it sounds much better. I'm just not entirely sure how you do it. :cursing: If anyone could help that would be awesome! Apologies if I have posted in the wrong thread. It's pretty urgent as I have some recording I need to lay down ASAP for personal projects.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to HR.

If the gain meters are lighting up on your interface, that rules out of a lot of troubleshooting.
It means the problem is in Logic so I'd check that 1: The focusrite is selected as the audio interface in Logic global settings and 2: The track you're recording to has the correct focusrite input number selected.

I don't use Logic so I can't give you specific instructions, but hopefully broad strokes will help. :)

If this is all done and you can see recorded audio or meter movement inside Logic, but can't hear anything, it may be that there's an input monitoring on/off button somewhere.
I know Protools has this globally, and per track.

Were you getting results with the same equipment when you were recording amp sims?

Some focusrite. Interfaces such as the saffire series have mix software that has to be properly set. I don't know about yours.

Is it just that you cant hear it??

You have lights on your interface, so signal is getting in. Is anything registering on the logic meters?

Hey there guys!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I've done all of the above! The actual Audio track picks up the signal and dynamic output that the mic is picking up because I can see the meter change but the stereo out metre doesn't move! I'm assuming this is why I can't hear anything through Logic. I've recorded with the amp sims with no problems through the same interface and as you said the L.E.D is lighting up so it is tracking signal for sure! I really appreciate both of you chiming in to help! :)

Ah, OK..Logic is seeing input. That's good.
If you hit record, despite not being able to hear, does the audio get recorded down to the track?

If so, can you hear it when playing back after wards?

If the answer is yes then you should be looking for some kind on live input monitoring setting.
If no, then check that the track's output path is set to whatever hardware outputs you use on the focusrite. More often than not, MainL+R or 1+2.

Hey Steenamaroo,

When I hit record no audio is tracked. It records but there is just a flat line as if nothing has been tracked, whereas when you normally record you'd be expecting the obvious dynamics and sound. But no; I can't hear any audio when playing back after.

I'm not sure just how new you are so forgive me if I insult your intelligence :eek:.

You're seeing the meters on the interface move and you're setting meters inside Logic move, according to your input, but when you hit record no audio is committed.
Is the correct audio track in record-arm state?

If so, it sounds like everything is as it should be. Maybe a Logic user will stop by and be able to help more.
In the mean time, maybe a screen shot or two showing your input/output selections might be useful?

I've bumped you into Registered Users so you can add attachments/links now. :)

No worries! I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm not new to this kind of stuff but I'm no pro especially when this odd stuff starts happening! I might be missing something very simple which a Logic user can pick up on and give me a roasting haha!

But yes; I'm seeing the gain meter on the interface move and I'm seeing the actual track audio meter move in Logic, but not the stereo out meter. It is set to record.
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 20.21.02.png

This is what it looks like. The SM57 is picking up a slight signal because I'm watching a few youtube videos so that rules out the mic not working and the interface and daw is obviously picking up signal.

Again, thank you so much for your help! :)

Seems likely ^^.
Also, just looking at your screen shot, that 'I' button beside record arm is most likely input-monitoring.

Not strictly relevant, as recording should work either way, but since I mentioned it earlier I may as well point it out.
Toggling that should switch between being able to hear your input or not when you're not actually recording. Useful for jamming along rehearing a take. :)

Hey guys!

The the XLR is going through input two of the interface so that is as it should be! I shall try the I button and I'll get back to you! Thinking about it; that does make complete sense!

Hey guys just an update. So I enabled input monitoring and I can hear the recorded audio now but it's still very very quiet! I don't know if that's a mic placement thing or something else? Again, I really appreciate all the help! :)

Hey guys just an update. So I enabled input monitoring and I can hear the recorded audio now but it's still very very quiet! I don't know if that's a mic placement thing or something else? Again, I really appreciate all the help! :)

Interesting. It really was just a side note, for future reference, but its interesting because if you can hear the audio, quiet or not, it should be getting recorded.
With Protools you won't hear recorded audio when input monitoring is selected, but you'd still be able to see that the waveform is not a flat line and it will record new audio regardless of the input monitoring setting.

As a sidenote to Steenamaroo's sidenote.... I never monitor the input through protools. I mute the channel.
I'll monitor through my console or my Saffire mix software.
Zero latency.

As to the level, is there a mic/line level switch on the interface?? Or a pad switch engaged? Or are you using a ribbon mic at 10 feet away? Maybe something is set wrong?
A mic close to a speaker should give you plenty of signal.

Hey gents, the PAD button is not engaged! Should it be? This is the first time I've set up to record my amp. I usually have it done for me but I want to get more independent and less reliant with this stuff! Thanks in advance!

No, that's right; The pad button should not be engaged.

Is this microphone known to work? How much movement is there in the meters in Logic? It should be really strong and obvious.
Just to clarify the obvious - Is the microphone cable XLR-m to XLR-f, and is the gain turned up on the front of the interface?

Hi guys!

So I'm new here and I wasn't sure were to post this considering it's not really a post about recording techniques as such. I am a noob here so to speak. It's a recording question in general. I'm trying to record my Marshall JVM205 into Logic pro X with a Shure SM57. So far the chain is. Les Paul standard into the JVM head, speaker cable into the 1936 cab which is mic'ed with the SM57 into my 2i4 interface via an XLR. The problem is I have no sound when trying to record and the interface isn't picking up what I play. :mad: The gain led does flash when I play so it's obviously picking up signal. I am pretty new to recording through an actual amp as opposed to the amps 'simulators' within Logic. I already know it sounds much better. I'm just not entirely sure how you do it. :cursing: If anyone could help that would be awesome! Apologies if I have posted in the wrong thread. It's pretty urgent as I have some recording I need to lay down ASAP for personal projects.
in logic Pro x i record with Input1-2. I have same problem as you with sm-57 so i record with Blue condenser into focusrite

No, that's right; The pad button should not be engaged.

Is this microphone known to work? How much movement is there in the meters in Logic? It should be really strong and obvious.
Just to clarify the obvious - Is the microphone cable XLR-m to XLR-f, and is the gain turned up on the front of the interface?

As far as I'm aware the mic works 100%. The cable is of course male to female. There is definite movement in the metres in logic! I've just turned the gain all the way up so it clips. I'll let you know if it changes! May be a thing of needing the record with the gain pushed on the interface, then bringing the channel down when mastering!

When I hit record no audio is tracked. It records but there is just a flat line as if nothing has been tracked

Literally a completely 100% flat line? Can you zoom in a bit to confirm?

So I enabled input monitoring and I can hear the recorded audio now but it's still very very quiet!
How quiet? Can you post an mp3 please?
Relative to a commercial record, any individual track is going to sound quiet.

Back