No sound with studio monitors..

georget001

I just moved and before I moved everything was working perfectly normal. I have an external soundcard (Tascam US-122 MKii), and studio monitor speakers.
I've sent the soundcard back to Tascam to get it repaired but they sent it back and told me it was fine. I also switched the cables so that can't be the problem either. Also, if I put the cables from the speakers into a jackplug in the phone line in of the soundcard (it doesnt fit perfectly here because it's not supposed to go in here of course), I do get sound through my speakers, so my speakers aren't broken either. I've also tried about everything in my sound settings on the computer, does anyone know how to fix this?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just moved and before I moved everything was working perfectly normal. I have an external soundcard (Tascam US-122 MKii), and Yamaha hs50m studio monitor speakers.
I've sent the soundcard back to Tascam to get it repaired but they sent it back and told me it was fine. I also switched the cables so that can't be the problem either. Also, if I put the cables from the speakers into a jackplug in the phone line in of the soundcard (it doesnt fit perfectly here because it's not supposed to go in here of course), I do get sound through my speakers, so my speakers aren't broken either. I've also tried about everything in my sound settings on the computer, does anyone know how to fix this?

Don't do that! Line in to speakers...

What DAW software are you using and what OS?

Don't do that! Line in to speakers...

What DAW software are you using and what OS?

lol, just did it to check whether my speakers were broken or not :p
But I use FL and windows, but my sound doesn't work at all (through the regular line outs of the audio interface), not just through FL.

lol, just did it to check whether my speakers were broken or not :p

Sticking things into spots where they don't belong, specially if they "don't fit perfectly", is a good way to create damage if there was none to begin with.

The speakers connect to the outputs of the interface. The interface connects to the computer via USB. Make sure your computer is recognizing the interface and that it is selected as a recording and playback device.

What version of Windows? XP, Vista, W7, W8?

Setup will be a bit different on each.

Basically go to Start>Control Panel>Sound. Make sure your interface is listed and select it as default for recording and playback. If not listed, then you need to go to tascam website and download the appropriate driver for your particular OS.

And for gods sake stop sticking things in holes that do not wish to have things in there... :)

---------- Update ----------

Sticking things into spots where they don't belong, specially if they "don't fit perfectly", is a good way to create damage if there was none to begin with.

This can also destroy a perfectly good relationship! :eek:

lol

The speakers connect to the outputs of the interface. The interface connects to the computer via USB. Make sure your computer is recognizing the interface and that it is selected as a recording and playback device.

I understand, but I had to check whether it was my speakers or not, now that that's out of the way I won't do it again. And it does recognize the interface. When I go to the sound icon in the bottom right corner of the screen and click on it with the right button on the mouse (I may have worded some of this incorrectly, english is not my first language) and go to playback devices, I got my Tascam usmkii speakers as my default device and default communication device.

What version of Windows? XP, Vista, W7, W8?

Setup will be a bit different on each.

Basically go to Start>Control Panel>Sound. Make sure your interface is listed and select it as default for recording and playback. If not listed, then you need to go to tascam website and download the appropriate driver for your particular OS.

And for gods sake stop sticking things in holes that do not wish to have things in there... :)

---------- Update ----------

This can also destroy a perfectly good relationship! :eek:

lol

Lol, I get it I get it please read my reply to gecko zzed. But I got Windows 7 and I have the appropriate driver installed. Also, if I put earphones in my soundcard my sound does work through the earphones. Is there any chance that Tascam was wrong and my sound card is broken or is there still something else I can do? Thanks for the efforts so far both of you guys

There is a chance, but I would suggest trying a different USB cable and/or port on your computer.

You should be able to easily test by listening to YouTube or whatever if the interface is getting audio from the PC.

If that does not work and the interface is selected, then I would say the interface is possibly defective. Try all options first. Things like a USB port not working does happen. Or using a different port than you used to install the driver. Computers are like roommates. You never know when they will quit working. Sometimes you have to shake them or kick em to the curb..

That being said, also try uninstalling the driver for the 122 from Device manager. Restart. Download and install the driver again following the install instructions.

I just tried different USB ports, uninstalled the driver and installed the newest (and of course restarted in between) and that didn't help. I don't have any other usb to midi cables so I haven't tried that yet. I do have sound through my earphones when I stick them in the interface so I don't think changing a cable will do that much difference. Thanks for your help guys, I'll call the music store tomorrow for help, I might go there to get my interface tested too.

I just tried different USB ports, uninstalled the driver and installed the newest (and of course restarted in between) and that didn't help. I don't have any other usb to midi cables so I haven't tried that yet. I do have sound through my earphones when I stick them in the interface so I don't think changing a cable will do that much difference. Thanks for your help guys, I'll call the music store tomorrow for help, I might go there to get my interface tested too.

If you get sound to the headphone output on the interface but no sound to the speakers, which work, then I guess the problem has to lie with your speaker cables or the outputs you're using.
That proves your drivers etc to be fine so you can leave that alone now. :) Good job!

Are you using line out l+r, and do you have the line out level turned up? What cables are using between interface + speakers?

I assume the main output from the computer is mirrored to the headphone output. Can anyone confirm that?

Yes I am and yes. I'm using RCA (at the interface) to XLR (at the monitor end). What do you mean with your last question though? And thanks for the help, I'll take the cables and interface to the music store tomorrow or friday. I'll let y'all know if that solved it or not.

No problem.
The last question was really for the other members here, but I was asking if headphone and main outputs always play the same thing on that interface.
On some interfaces they are completely separate outputs and you'd assign your audio to one or other, or both.

As XLR is a 3 conductor balanced connection and rca is a 2 conductor unbalanced connection, there's a chance that the wiring doesn't suit.
The speakers support balanced or unbalanced but, I think it could go wrong if your rca is wired to pins 1+2 but the speaker expects unbalanced signal over 1+3.

Maybe someone will tell me that's ^ rubbish, but it seems like the only unknown quantity right now.
Do you have any trs or ts to rca cable kicking around?

My feelings are the same, if the headphones work on the interface all is good with the computer. When you put the connector into the computer and wiggled, which we all went aaah about, you probably just managed to momentarily connect to the right pins, which when connected properly don't make the right connection. If the speaker have xlr inputs, then a connection to pins 2 and 3 carries the audio. Strictly speaking we'd also connect pin 1 to pin 2, but a balanced xlr input will normally work fine with it unconnected. So check the RCA to xlr cable to find out how it is wired, and report back. You could also get an RCA to jack cable and use the other socket. Just checking but you have two single RCA to xlr cables the same, I think, you aren't trying to use some other system, like two RCA to one xlr, are you?

Have you checked the Control Panel (software) for the US122? Maybe there are separate volume sliders for monitor vs headphone outputs?

No problem.
The last question was really for the other members here, but I was asking if headphone and main outputs always play the same thing on that interface.
On some interfaces they are completely separate outputs and you'd assign your audio to one or other, or both.

As XLR is a 3 conductor balanced connection and rca is a 2 conductor unbalanced connection, there's a chance that the wiring doesn't suit.
The speakers support balanced or unbalanced but, I think it could go wrong if your rca is wired to pins 1+2 but the speaker expects unbalanced signal over 1+3.

Maybe someone will tell me that's ^ rubbish, but it seems like the only unknown quantity right now.
Do you have any trs or ts to rca cable kicking around?

My feelings are the same, if the headphones work on the interface all is good with the computer. When you put the connector into the computer and wiggled, which we all went aaah about, you probably just managed to momentarily connect to the right pins, which when connected properly don't make the right connection. If the speaker have xlr inputs, then a connection to pins 2 and 3 carries the audio. Strictly speaking we'd also connect pin 1 to pin 2, but a balanced xlr input will normally work fine with it unconnected. So check the RCA to xlr cable to find out how it is wired, and report back. You could also get an RCA to jack cable and use the other socket. Just checking but you have two single RCA to xlr cables the same, I think, you aren't trying to use some other system, like two RCA to one xlr, are you?

Have you checked the Control Panel (software) for the US122? Maybe there are separate volume sliders for monitor vs headphone outputs?

Guys thanks for all the replies and effort, and sorry for the late reply! The problem is solved, it appeared to be a really dumb mistake of mine. I didn't plug the cable correctly into the interface, I had to use more power to put it in correctly but it felt like I'd break the interface if I did so that's why I didn't do that.

Back