No Signal from UMC202HD - Guitar Recording

blandified

Hey all, first post!

So up to this point, I have plugged my GT-100 multi-effects guitar pedal straight in to my computer via USB. I would record little videos using the Windows Camera app and set the audio to the USB GT-100 so I would get the video from my webcam and audio from my guitar.

I just bought a Behringer UMC202HD audio interface along with a SM57 mic to better capture the guitar tone by micing my amp. I have downloaded the drivers for the UMC202HD and my computer recognizes it. In fact, when I play Youtube videos I can hear the audio from Youtube from the UMC202HD's direct monitor with headphones, so I know that there is SOME communication between my computer and the UMC202HD.

However, when I play guitar or try to record, there is no sound at all. When I go to Recording Devices and make sure I have the UMC202HD selected as the recording device, I notice that the volume levels do not change when I play (when I use the GT-100, the little volume levels go up and down when I play to signify that it is receiving a signal).

Using the Direct Monitoring feature of the UMC202HD, I can hear the guitar, but for whatever reason this signal isn't being sent to the computer maybe?

Hope y'all can help me out! Thank you in advance!

- What is your DAW(recording software)?
- Can you take a screenshot of the DAW where you are selecting the UMC202HD for recording and post it? (if you can't resize/edit it for posting don't worry about it)
- Windows or Mac and what OS?
- Do you get the 'SIG' or 'CLIP' lights on the UMC202HD when playing the guitar through the SM57 and hear it in the headphones?
- The SM57 does need quite a bit of gain, so the gain on the UMC202HD might need to be turned up a ways.
- XLR to XLR cable for the SM57? Not XLR to 1/4".

- What is your DAW(recording software)?
- Can you take a screenshot of the DAW where you are selecting the UMC202HD for recording and post it? (if you can't resize/edit it for posting don't worry about it)
- Windows or Mac and what OS?
- Do you get the 'SIG' or 'CLIP' lights on the UMC202HD when playing the guitar through the SM57 and hear it in the headphones?
- The SM57 does need quite a bit of gain, so the gain on the UMC202HD might need to be turned up a ways.
- XLR to XLR cable for the SM57? Not XLR to 1/4".

- What is your DAW(recording software)? I am not currently using a DAW. I just wanted to use the windows 10 Camera App to make videos. When using the GT-100 and the camera, I just went to the camera settings and set the audio to the GT-100, but when I do that for the UMC202HD, it doesn't output a signal.

- Can you take a screenshot of the DAW where you are selecting the UMC202HD for recording and post it? (if you can't resize/edit it for posting don't worry about it) I am at work right now but I have selected the UMC202HD in my camera app as the audio/mic option (same process with the GT-100 and that worked).

- Windows or Mac and what OS? PC windows 10

- Do you get the 'SIG' or 'CLIP' lights on the UMC202HD when playing the guitar through the SM57 and hear it in the headphones? Yes I can see the SIG lights on the UMC202HD when I play guitar and I can hear it through the Direct Monitor and headphones

- The SM57 does need quite a bit of gain, so the gain on the UMC202HD might need to be turned up a ways. I will try turning up the gain a bit more when I get home, but I did have it running around 75% last night with ZERO output to computer, not even a little bit.

- XLR to XLR cable for the SM57? Not XLR to 1/4". Yes XLR to XLR. XLR from mic then to XLR into UMC202HD.

Hopefully this helps

- What is your DAW(recording software)? I am not currently using a DAW. I just wanted to use the windows 10 Camera App to make videos. When using the GT-100 and the camera, I just went to the camera settings and set the audio to the GT-100, but when I do that for the UMC202HD, it doesn't output a signal.

Hopefully this helps
Haven't a clue regarding the Windows 10 Camera app. Did find this on a Microsoft help forum (ignore the answers from Microsoft, useless)......
Microphone Setting on Camera App - Windows 10 - Microsoft Community

Guessing you may have already disabled any other microphones the app might use?

"Unlike the useless response from the Microsoft representative, I actually found a solution. I disabled all microphones except the one I wanted to use, then I used the camera app. The camera app doesn't give you the option to choose your microphone, but it does select another microphone if the microphone built into the laptop is disabled."

Hopefully someone else on this board may be able to help.

Hahhahahahahh ohmyword I read that same thread a couple weeks ago when I had that problem with my GT-100. That Microsoft rep was seriously cracking me up.

I have done the same process with the UMC202HD so the camera app can only use the UMC to record, but to no avail. It's like the UMC isn't sending a signal to the computer.

I don't know about W10 but in W7 you cannot use an external sound source in the camera software AFAIK, only the internal mic.

I suggest you download Audacity (sorry Mack!) and have a go with that to prove the AI does in fact work.

You can download 30 day trials of 'proper' AV software such as Sony Vegas or Camtasia. I don't know of anything decent and free!

Dave.

I don't know about W10 but in W7 you cannot use an external sound source in the camera software AFAIK, only the internal mic.

I suggest you download Audacity (sorry Mack!) and have a go with that to prove the AI does in fact work.

You can download 30 day trials of 'proper' AV software such as Sony Vegas or Camtasia. I don't know of anything decent and free!

Dave.

I have W10 and have changed the mic from the internal mic to the GT-100.

Good idea about Audacity! I will try that tonight when I get home.

I just don't know why the GT-100, connected with USB, got a signal so easily but this UMC202HD, connected with USB, isn't being read the same way.

I have W10 and have changed the mic from the internal mic to the GT-100.

Good idea about Audacity! I will try that tonight when I get home.

I just don't know why the GT-100, connected with USB, got a signal so easily but this UMC202HD, connected with USB, isn't being read the same way.

You will need some type of audio editing program for most Interfaces to work. Audacity will be just fine for your application. @ecc83 No need to be apologetic. With Audacity, you must have your UMC turned on BEFORE you open Audacity, or it will not recognize the interface. This goes for any input device you may use with Audacity. Your input level needs to be between a -12 and -18dbs and the SM 58 will work just fine with your interface as long as it can supply 20 to 30 dbs of gain, and it should. The pic below shows my headset, Alesis mixer as well as the internal mic on my laptop as available inputs. You will need to make sure that Audacity will read your UMC, it may say something like "USB Audio Codec" or something to that effect.

Now, your UMC should have come with the needed software for you to be able to record aidio using the interface. That would truly be your best option as it has already been tested to give great results with your interface. You can find this information here.

View attachment 100481

Last edited:
You will need some type of audio editing program for most Interfaces to work. Audacity will be just fine for your application. @ecc83 No need to be apologetic. With Audacity, you must have your UMC turned on BEFORE you open Audacity, or it will not recognize the interface. This goes for any input device you may use with Audacity. Your input level needs to be between a -12 and -18dbs and the SM 58 will work just fine with your interface as long as it can supply 20 to 30 dbs of gain, and it should. The pic below shows my headset, Alesis mixer as well as the internal mic on my laptop as available inputs. You will need to make sure that Audacity will read your UMC, it may say something like "USB Audio Codec" or something to that effect.

Now, your UMC should have come with the needed software for you to be able to record aidio using the interface. That would truly be your best option as it has already been tested to give great results with your interface. You can find this information here.

View attachment 100481

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Since I was able to record video with the Windows 10 Camera App and audio from the GT-100, I thought I could do the same thing with the UMC. Apparently not. So I am abandoning this idea even though it is so convenient.

So I did some testing in Audacity and got a signal to record, Woohoo! It sounded pretty distorted and really quite, so I will have to work on that more when I have time tonight.

I also downloaded the 60-day trial version of Reaper because I read online somewhere that Reaper allows both audio AND video recording with my webcam, but I didn't have time to experiment with this.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. Since I was able to record video with the Windows 10 Camera App and audio from the GT-100, I thought I could do the same thing with the UMC. Apparently not. So I am abandoning this idea even though it is so convenient.

I promise you that once you make the switch, your vids will be 100% better. The learning curve is very small.

So I did some testing in Audacity and got a signal to record, Woohoo! It sounded pretty distorted and really quite, so I will have to work on that more when I have time tonight.

Well, now we know your interface is working. I really would not waist my time doing this with Audacity. Their official forum has thousands of users having the same problem even with their lasted release. But if funds are tight, just make sure your input levels are between a -12 and -18dbs and than you would select the amplification filter and raise the volume to around a -13dbs with a -1dbTP. (TP = Total Peak).

That is what YT streams their audio at. With any audio editing software you NEVER want your meters going into the red. The -1dbTP makes sure this does not happen.

I also downloaded the 60-day trial version of Reaper because I read online somewhere that Reaper allows both audio AND video recording with my webcam, but I didn't have time to experiment with this.

BINGO! I do not think that Reaper will record your video but it will allow you to edit your audio along with a video at the same time. The vid below shows how this is done. It is very simple once you learn a few things.

Wow dude thanks so much for all the information, this is really helping me out!

I do not know how to measure how much dB loss there is or exactly what you mean, but that gives me plenty of material to read up on!

Thank you for the link to the Reaper vid! I'll have to watch it when I'm not at work (haha).

Maybe I can pick your brain on this: Last night I was using the UMC202HD's direct monitor and listening to my mic'ed up amp while playing guitar. There was a very noticeable hum (buzz isn't quite the right word) coming from the mic. It is not present from the amp at all, it is definitely coming from the mic. I can unplug the XLR from the UMC and the hum is gone, and obviously no hum at my amp, so it must be from the mic. I did buy the mic used off Reverb, is it a faulty mic?

Maybe I can pick your brain on this: Last night I was using the UMC202HD's direct monitor and listening to my mic'ed up amp while playing guitar. There was a very noticeable hum (buzz isn't quite the right word) coming from the mic. It is not present from the amp at all, it is definitely coming from the mic. I can unplug the XLR from the UMC and the hum is gone, and obviously no hum at my amp, so it must be from the mic. I did buy the mic used off Reverb, is it a faulty mic?

It sounds like you may be having an impedance problem. Read this and check it out against your system. This should rule out the mic, the cable or your system. It deals with your mic and comes from the horses mouth.

Is the mic a dynamic type? If so it could be picking up the guitar amp's power transformer field.

I am assuming it is a mic with an XLR connector and cable? If not it is 'unbalanced' and WILL hum!

Post mic type # and a clip of the hum. (MP3 @320K attachment)

I have to say that in the world of audio 'interfacing', mics/AIs/guitars, 'Impedance' rarely matters it is LEVEL that is important. Of course signal level CAN be (usually is) a function of impedance (aka Z) but now we's into chucks and eggs!

Dave.

Is the mic a dynamic type? If so it could be picking up the guitar amp's power transformer field.

I am assuming it is a mic with an XLR connector and cable? If not it is 'unbalanced' and WILL hum!

Post mic type # and a clip of the hum. (MP3 @320K attachment)

I have to say that in the world of audio 'interfacing', mics/AIs/guitars, 'Impedance' rarely matters it is LEVEL that is important. Of course signal level CAN be (usually is) a function of impedance (aka Z) but now we's into chucks and eggs!

Dave.

The OP says it is an SM57. If he is using an xlr to a 1/4 going into his amp, that may be the problem according to Shure. If he is going through his interface and then into his amp, he may be using the wrong inputs or cables. At this point there is really to many unknowns concerning his signal path.

As far as the mic picking up the power transformer field, this is new to me as these mics are designed to be placed up close and personal at the source. However, your observation is educating on this situation. I would have never thought about that.

The OP says it is an SM57. If he is using an xlr to a 1/4 going into his amp, that may be the problem according to Shure. If he is going through his interface and then into his amp, he may be using the wrong inputs or cables. At this point there is really to many unknowns concerning his signal path.

As far as the mic picking up the power transformer field, this is new to me as these mics are designed to be placed up close and personal at the source. However, your observation is educating on this situation. I would have never thought about that.

Bottom of this post...
No Signal from UMC202HD - Guitar Recording

I have had a dynamic mic get some hum induced into it on one older tube amp I have. Wasn't real bad and repositioning the mic helped minimized it, but didn't totally eliminate it.

Thank you very much for the information, I will read up on it now and test it out when I get back home (why do I never read this page when I'm actually home??).

Yes, I have the SM57 and it goes from XLR to XLR from the mic to the UMC202HD.

Good idea about posting a clip of the hum! I will do that.

Ah! These old eyes looked but did not see 'SM57'.

Yes guitar amps can be buggers for radiating hum. Two things make it worse. 'Double Bobbin' construction and cheap construction where the traff is run close to its VA limits.

Another real pig for hum are rats! The older AC-AC or AC 50/60Hz to DC types are typically bad. Keep them a good two feet from any signal wires.

Then of course that Bellringer probably does not have THE best CMRR ever designed!

Dave.

I am thinking of abandoning the audio interface setup and get a Zoom Q8, any thoughts? It is basically an audio interface right?

Ah! These old eyes looked but did not see 'SM57'. Dave.

I don't think there are to many things them old eyes miss!

I am thinking of abandoning the audio interface setup and get a Zoom Q8, any thoughts? It is basically an audio interface right?

I do not believe it will be practical for your application and I have no idea if it is an audio interface or not. When you plug your mic into your interface, turn the gain control all the way down. Then slowly start to turn it up and when you notice when the hum starts to come in, list it back on this thread like, the knob was at 12 o'clock or 3 o'clock when I could start hearing the hum. Also, when you do this, make sure your mic is not close to your amp. In fact, make sure your amp is turned off. This will help others to trouble shoot your problem. It could be as simple as a bad xlr cable.

Back