Thread: Nintendo and all sound

deric is offline New Member
    Thanks

Nintendo and all sound

Sign in to disable this ad
    How do they get the video game theme music not just as on Nintendo games but any other system? A synth I guess but what kind? And is there a midi soft synth I can get that will do it. I want to play around with it and see what can be done with new versions of rock classics. Thanks!

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by deric View Post
    How do they get the video game theme music not just as on Nintendo games but any other system? A synth I guess but what kind? And is there a midi soft synth I can get that will do it. I want to play around with it and see what can be done with new versions of rock classics. Thanks!
    I am actually curious myself. Not that I have use for it, but an intriguing question none the less.

Have you 'Googled' such? I bet that could be found.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

Chili is offline Site Moderator
    Thanks
    Pretty sure they hire a sound design guy to do the music, beeps, boops and all. Look at the credits on the games to see who did what.

Thanks
    I'm sure if you find the person who made the music you're a fan of, you can look up all sorts of stuff about the gear they use.
    Cubase 6.5, mehh laptop, tascam 1641, ga pre-73, sputnik/mk4/re320, KRK rp6g2

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Thanks
    I bet the names are similar to Yakimosho Kasumi or maybe John Smith...

I kid
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

Tadpui is offline 1K Silver Member
    Thanks
    Somebody came up with a way to tap into the original 8-bit NES's sound system and use it as a synth. This page has a bit of info about the potential:

Nintendo NES Does MIDI and Live Music, Integrated into Your Studio - Create Digital Music
    Avantone CV-12 | FMR RNP | ART Pro VLA II | RME FireFace UCX | Win7 x64 | Reaper | Yamaha HS80M

Thanks
    Hey, there are numerous VST instruments, available free, which emulate the usually 8-bit sound devices present in gaming consoles such as the NES, and contemporary home microcomputers, such as the C64, Amiga etc. You can do a pretty convincing rendition of console music using these within most modern DAWs, and is a simple way to incorporate these sounds into other productions, or include in arrangements with more 'traditional' instrumentation,though if you are more of a purist, you could use a tracker to sequence your tunes.

Sega, for one, was pretty notorious for having some quite talented composers engaged for music in their games, and i believe there is much video game music which has musical validity equivalent to any other serious music, regardless of genre.

There is a pretty massive 'chiptune' community scattered across the web, heaps of info and resources freely available - this is largely the domain of middle aged nerds, who live on the web Without citing specifics i suggest a search for 'chiptune VST' should yield enough to get you started, and keep going for a while. - good luck, have fun!

MrWrenchey is offline Force of Nature
    Thanks
    It's mostly just using basic synths with like, sine waves and square waves and filtered/gated white noise for things like hi hats and snares and whatnot in those games. You can honestly recreate most of that with a program like Massive if you wanted to. You'll just have to try to stick to basically four tones I think (Sine, Square, maybe Triangle, and white noise) and mess with how you filter the sound, and adjust the decay/release time of things that you're doing for drums and the like.

Hopefully that made sense, I'm running off two hours of sleep for 48 hours and I'm not sure if that was clear or not. xD

Thread Information