NI Komplete Audio 6 & Audio Technica AT2020 Issue

Subfraction

Hey everyone.

I recently invested into Home Studio Equipment including DAW for Production in music, so my choice for an Audio Interface was the NI Komplete Audio 6. Everything works so far. Headphones (Currently hooked up on it are Pioneer HDJ 1500s, will be replaced by Sennheiser HD650, just mentioning it in case it sucks out power or whatever the case might be) and the sound on it is great, all LEDs are indicating and no Software Errors, the DAW (FL Studio) is also accepting it when I pair it with my Midi Controller (Novation Launchkey 49 MK2). Now though with the Audio Technica AT2020 XLR Version I have a very odd issue. I can't for the life of me get the sound level correct. The gain on the TLR Input 1 (Also tried 2) is on 100% and I have to shout that it registers everything in a NORMAL level. On the other hand, when my wife drops the key DOWNSTAIRS which is around 20 meters away, the microphone registers this tiny sound just as much as if I would hold the microphone on the floor besides it.

The Phantom Power 48v is on, system volume 100%, I connected the Interface with a 3.0 Hub, without it directly into different USB ports, reinstalled the Driver, disabled every audio device besides the Audio 6, recorded Audio with Audacity and Reaper, both on the same level of Audio, which on top of it is in Mono so I have to fake mirror it over so it's Stereo even though it's a Stereo Microphone...

What am I doing wrong or is something here defective?

I'm very glad for any help given upfront.

Have a good day! :)

Are you talking into the right side of the mic? Are you using an XLR to XLR cable to connect it?

It is a mono mic so you only need to set up a mono input in your software.

Are you talking into the right side of the mic? Are you using an XLR to XLR cable to connect it?

It is a mono mic so you only need to set up a mono input in your software.

It's connected over xlr from the mic into the tlr socket of the audio 6 with the other xlr end, so yes. I recorded in mono but there is a print around the rim of the microphone that said Stereo. I tried talking into every side except the one facing back which is adjusted towards the backside.

Last edited:
The AT2020 is definitely not a stereo mic. It's a mono cardioid pattern condenser.

That aside, I'm really having a hard time wrapping my head around your problem. If the mic is completely insensitive to yelling into it with the preamp gain cranked, then the issue is either that the mic or your preamp are defective or that phantom power is not being delivered to the mic (which would indicate either an issue with the XLR cable or the preamps on your audio interface). But the fact that it is picking up very quiet sounds such as keys being dropped in the next room means that the gain is appropriately set and the mic is functioning properly. To me, that combination of issues sounds like some sort of heavy compression or a limiter is being applied somewhere along the signal chain. Does the KA6 have built-in compression that you've turned on accidentally? And how the hell has Dave not chimed in yet? Shouldn't a mention of the KA6 trigger some sort of bat-signal to him?

I'd say that it's time for some experimentation. Find another cable, another mic, another interface to swap in and out to isolate the issue. My money is on the cable.

The AT2020 is definitely not a stereo mic. It's a mono cardioid pattern condenser.

Does the KA6 have built-in compression that you've turned on accidentally? And how the hell has Dave not chimed in yet? Shouldn't a mention of the KA6 trigger some sort of bat-signal to him?

I'd say that it's time for some experimentation. Find another cable, another mic, another interface to swap in and out to isolate the issue. My money is on the cable.

My bad with the stereo, I must have had something else on my mind as I mentioned that.

As far as the compression goes, no. I haven't changed anything in the settings of the KA6, it's factory default so if there is a compression turned on which I can't find in it's interface since it doesn't clearly state compress/limit, then that's not the case. The only thing I tried to fiddle with was the sample rate but I set it back to normal with the reinstalling of the drivers, checked on it if the values were the same afterwards.

I will try another cable in this case and see if it does anything. Electronics in Brazil are stupidly expensive to just get some and try them out sadly.

Grabbing for straws............

"I recorded in mono but there is a print around the rim of the microphone that said Stereo."
Is there a really, really remote chance it might be an AT2022 x/y Stereo condenser mic shown below which does have 'Stereo' imprinted near the top.

"I tried talking into every side except the one facing back which is adjusted towards the backside."
- This got me wondering if it was an AT2022 when you mentioned "the one facing back which is adjusted towards the backside". I couldn't see how you might 'adjust' an AT2020 or I'm confused :) .

"It's connected over xlr from the mic into the tlr socket of the audio 6 with the other xlr end, so yes."
- 'tlr socket' - I'm not sure what 'tlr' is. The KA6 has a 'combo' jack that accepts XLR and 1/4" plugs, but I've not heard it called 'tlr'.

If is indeed an AT2022, it very well could cancel out close sounds if connected to just a single input of the interface by XLR, but possibly pick up a far away transient sound such as a key dropping.

Attachments

• AT2022.jpg
    AT2022.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 14
"Is there a really, really remote chance it might be an AT2022 x/y Stereo condenser mic shown below which does have 'Stereo' imprinted near the top."

No, there is not. In my post above I already said that it's my bad, I must have seen it somewhere else with the Stereo. It is for sure an AT2020.

This got me wondering if it was an AT2022 when you mentioned "the one facing back which is adjusted towards the backside". I couldn't see how you might 'adjust' an AT2020 or I'm confused :)

I mean I adjusted my Microphone stand which is connected on my desk and the mount on the microphone directly so the print on the AT2020 which says "back" faces directly away from me. I will attach a picture.

Back.jpg

'tlr socket' - I'm not sure what 'tlr' is. The KA6 has a 'combo' jack that accepts XLR and 1/4" plugs, but I've not heard it called 'tlr'.

The ones on the front, yes the combo jack that accepts both the plugs you mentioned. I grabbed the manual again and saw a mention of the "TRS" jack for the headphones in there. Thats where I got my words twisted. " 1/4" TRS jack headphone socket..."

FrontKA6.jpg

If is indeed an AT2022, it very well could cancel out close sounds if connected to just a single input of the interface by XLR, but possibly pick up a far away transient sound such as a key dropping.

It is for sure not, no. :)

Last edited:
The usual steps here: make sure the DAW track you are expecting to be recording on is set to the input where the microphone is plugged in, i.e., #1 MONO, and the level in the DAW for that track is zero, i.e., that software fader is in the default spot. Then, swap cables and swap mics to identify the culprit. Or, change the input to the System if you have a built-in mic on the computer and can test with that to confirm FL Studio settings are correct.

You might also try using Audacity instead of FL Studio, but I'd want to try another mic and cable as well, even USB.

Maybe a FL Studio user here can walk through its settings, because I'm not familiar with it.

Phew! https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/resource_library/literature/49f63e6efc082082/at2020_english.pdf

I am something of a champion for the KA6 here (still no cheque NI?) and have not had any problems reported to me on either of the forums I suggest it. However, the AI does have one weakness, low phantom power delivery. In practice this is not an issue with modern capacitors mics, most require 2mA or less and many will run on less, some much less than 48volts. I have used two AKG Perception 150s and my Sontronics STC-2 LDC without problems.

If you can read 48V at the mic end of the XLR on both pins 2 and 3 to pin 1 then I think your microphone might be faulty.

I am also not an FL user. Did you setup the bundled Cubase? I don't use that either but I DO have a version and could work it out for you but there are several others here MUCH better informed! Otherwise THE default test DAW is Audacity.

Just noticed? The 2020 is an electret type capacitor mic. That means that the 48V supply does not even need to supply a polarising voltage (as it does for my cap' mics) and should easily power the mic. I also means that a low voltage will only cause a loss of ultimate headroom and not 'weird' issues with a DC-DC converter as is needed for non-electret microphones.

Dave.

I set up the ASIO of the KA6 in Cubase which I just activated as it wanted me to do it. Here is a Screenshot from 2 Audiofiles. The left one is in a comfortable sitting position like you would make a Podcast, have a Skype conversation, moderate a let's play or all in these regards. The wave forms are there. Hearing them back, nothing at all for the left one. Cubase couldn't pick it up except on one tiny part maybe for half a second or less you could hear something.

The second recording to the right was directly in front of the pop filter in a singing pose. -6DB, no red led on the KA6 and you could hear everything back crystal clear.
Cubase.jpg

In Audacity, no matter what, it doesn't detect ASIO Drivers, just Windows Options and the Soundwaves always look like in Cubase the Left Audio File. I have to boost them to -6DB because the recording is in something of -30 and multiple background noises, which it didn't have in Cubase for whatever reason. I just monitored this with a pair of Sennheiser HD650s.

Last edited:
Something else to try.....

- Near to the mic tap on a drinking glass lightly with a spoon or other metal object. Jangle keys in front of the mic. The idea is to create a higher pitch sound. If you have an instrument that can do this the better.
- Do a low pitch vocal sound in front of the mic.

If a higher pitch sound registers better than the a lower one I'll take a guess at a bad connection in the XLR cable.

In Audacity, no matter what, it doesn't detect ASIO Drivers, just Windows Options and the Soundwaves always look like in Cubase the Left Audio File. I have to boost them to -6DB because the recording is in something of -30 and multiple background noises, which it didn't have in Cubase for whatever reason. I just monitored this with a pair of Sennheiser HD650s.

Audacity isn't compatible with ASIO drivers due to some licensing issues

I'm puzzled by the "stereo in 1" words in the DAW, and why, when the "vocals" track is selected in the track window, I'm seeing two channels selected in the mix pane. You have a single, mono mic plugged into the interface, so it should go to a mono track that is associated with a single mono fader, at least until you start bussing it around. But, that DAW is another I don't know anything about.

Audacity and ASIO don't work together? I guess I moved away from Windows before that happened, or maybe just never used ASIO drivers when I had my Roland and M-Audio interfaces?

Audacity isn't compatible with ASIO drivers due to some licensing issues

True nuff Mark but the KA6 works in Audacity just fine using Windows Direct Sound. I dare say the latency is nothing to shout home about but then that is not what Audacity is for.

I have a P150 into the KA running very nicely thank you in Audacity. Will post some shots later.

Dave.

Yeah, my guess is I never used ASIO4All or whatever it's called. I checked and see that the interfaces I used (before moving to OS X and then Firewire) came with their own Windows drivers, so likely I used those. Would have been Win7 anyway. (Sorry for diversion!)

I set up the ASIO of the KA6 in Cubase which I just activated as it wanted me to do it. Here is a Screenshot from 2 Audiofiles. The left one is in a comfortable sitting position like you would make a Podcast, have a Skype conversation, moderate a let's play or all in these regards. The wave forms are there. Hearing them back, nothing at all. Cubase couldn't pick them up except on one tiny part maybe for half a second or less you could hear something.

The second recording to the right was directly in front of the pop filter in a singing pose. -6DB, no red led on the KA6 and you could hear everything back crystal clear.
View attachment 102599

The picture shows you ARE picking up sound, but why can't you hear it on playback? The KA6 is selected as the audio output devce, right? You have the headphones plugged into it, not your computer's headphone jack, right?

Yes it is selected as output device and they are plugged into the KA6. And I have absolutely no idea why I cant hear the left recording but the right one perfectly.

Back