Newbies - Some Insider Recording Tricks You Wont Often Hear About.

manning1

Banned
NEWBIES SOME OLD (often hidden) RECORDING TRICKS OF THE INDUSTRY.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
1. recording synth sounds. - try putting a synth sometime
through an old bass or guitar rig as well as direct.
record as two seperate tracks. offset one track from the other
by small millisecond amounts. now repeat putting the synth
through a weird guitar pedal or processor into a rig.
mic the rig of course. another trick is to reamp the synth. ie:
take a recorded synth track and output it to some sort of
processor/outboard/guitar or bass rig and dial in a new weird sound.
or maybe reamp using a pedal. another trick is to send the recorded trick out to a hallway or bathroom with a pa or some other speaker and mic THAT
and send it through clean or some sort of processor back into the daw.
BUT watch for FEEDBACK. keep all your signal lines distinct so you dont get the possibility of feedback.
2. recording bass. many of the bass sounds you hear are not what you think they might have used. i know your pain. you record a nice clean bass track but it just doesnt sit right. your not getting THE BASS SOUND.
they might have used a variety of techniques. reamping for one
through different combinations of outboard processors and bass rigs.
maybe they recorded through a bass rockman AS WELL AS micing the bass rig speaker. or they might have actually played two base tracks eq'd differently,
or offset one base track just a smidgeon from the other. or an old trick i used many times is do a bass track, and i know you'll think this weird, but try it -
sometimes works , sometimes doesnt - now pick up a guitar and cut the treble on the pickups and record a track using the guitar into a guitar amp or processor ,
BUT MIMICKING the same notes as the bass track. DONT LISTEN TO THE MIMICKED GUITAR BASS IN ISOLATION.
SOMETIMES IT SOUNDS BAD BY ITSELF BUT GOOD IN THE MIX just mixed below the real bass track.
only use the 6th , 5th, and 4th strings of the guitar to mimick the
notes. try inserting through a COMPRESSOR to fatten up before you send to the sound card.
another trick is to mimick the bass using a synth set to a bass preset, for coloring the sound picture, or you can even try a weird synth patch a bit detuned, but just a bit.
another trick is to play a bass, but through a guitar processor.
another trick is to play an upright bass along with say a fender jazz bass.
as you can see there are many tricks to experiment with.
for example on my song "pretty girls and fancy cars" at soundclick
which the harley crowd seems to like, at various points in the song you'll hear how i reinforced the bottom with this bomp - ba - ba figure playing on the bass. this was done combining guitar bass strings with bass subtly down low in the mix. you'll hear it more pronounced towards the end of the song.
so another tip. some songs just need the bass to be "just there" like in that song just holding it down in the background.
3. recording guitar. alone on this subject one could write a book.
has this ever happened to you ? you hear a great guitar sound on your favorite bands new cd , and you WANT THAT SOUND. so you go to the equipment store, and a salesperson tells you just buy this guitar amp or whatever, and all your troubles will be over. you bring your new purchase back to your little studio, and you cant even get close to the sound. WHOA you go !
sound familiar ? well its probably because the recording engineers used many different techniques. even if they used the same amp, the room will be different to yours and a thousand other factors.
it could even be the studio or player fluked a great guitar lead that particular day. its happened to me many times with the same amp.
one day great lead, the next sounds terrible - the only difference often was my mic position.
in summary dont believe everything your told. ive found you can get great guitar tone out of a junk amp as well as expensive.
i have an amp here given to me thats ancient. wuth the right
mic positioning it sounds gorgeous. but if i screw up the mic positioning sounds awful. so my biggest tip is instead of paying 2k for one monster amp, spend a few hundred on a few different brands of junky small used amps that are low wattage, and EXPERIMENT A LOT WITH MIC POSITIONING.
including micing the amp in different rooms of your house if you are a small studio. try the bathroom, the patio (ive had nice sounds in greenhouses !),
the garage, in your trailer you use for vacations, the hall.
some great leads have even been done in stairwells of buildings.
now try again with different guitar pedals in front of the amp.
try reamping the guitar track once recorded or put it through
one of the simulanalog.org free plug ins. a trick i use is to record
a dry guitar track then copy the track, and apply some effect to the track like guitar trails i like in powertracks but in a subtle way.
another TIP. just because something says TUBE on it means nothing.
ive had solid state amps sound better than some tube amps.
another TIP. go easy on distortion settings. when you get something that sounds good over the monitors,
try backing off a bit before you actually record.
also try going for colors and texture. for example youve got this
what seems boring lead break. enhance it by mimicking the notes say on another instrument like an acoustic or electric 12 string or another instrument in harmony,
or in different octaves or thirds or fifths in sympatico with it.

got to end this. so my advice is EXPERIMENT. one last tip.
try some of these tips with a pod or j station ie: if it sounds too
"computery digital", try running through a guitar plug in or reamping somehow to a guitar or even a bass amp or a pedal.

4. recording drums. TWO BIG TIPS. GOOD HEADS that sound good.
And tune them right. Another tip , tune the drums around the song.
both the key of the song and around the dominant chords in the song.
TRY FEWER MICS. some old big songs - believe it or not were done
with ONE MIC, and SOME even with NO MICS, just relying on bleed from mics of other instruments. if you listen to some old songs from the 50's , note how the drums were often quite a way back in the mix because of this fact.
once again try recording the drums in different environments and acoustic spaces, like halls, stairwells, ie: BIG SPACES if you want that spacious sound,
or close and intimate, try a acoustically damped drum room.
now i KNOW some home studios dont have access to some spaces. but you can approximate. dont just reach for the nearest reverb plug in, it might not work. BE INNOVATIVE. try some of the OLD WAYS like putting a speaker in a bathroom and sending the drum mix to it, and micing the speaker and recording as a seperate track. ONCE AGAIN dont solo ALONE.
try some eq and see how it sits in the overall sound picture.
try crazy things like sending a drum mix through a guitar processor or pedal and see if it works. or even once i sent it through a bass amp with those tremelo features on and put it way down in the mix.
One of my favorite all time albums for SOUND is The KNACKS very first album called Get The Knack.
if this is the sound you like, and its a great sound imho - try this....
set up in a large space. drums at the back, two guitar amps spaced about 10 to 15 feet apart with their backs facing the drums with a mic on each. and 10 feet in front of the drums (TUNED !). you will have to now move the amp mics and the amps
around in distance from each other and from the drums TILL YOU FIND THE SWEET SPOT.
record the bass direct. do vocal and lead overdubs. THE IDEA is the guitar amps pick up the drums 10 feet or less or more back from the amps.
I'm sorry, i KNOW ITS WORK, but you MUST FIND THE SWEET SPOT YOU HEAR COMING FROM THE MONITORS.
VERY IMPORTANT YOU MOVE THE AMPS AROUND AND MICS TO FIND IT. try even the mics just peeking round the corners of the amps, amps on chairs etc.
once you hit the sweet spot NOW introduce ONE MIC in front of the drums.
notice how the drums will now get NEARER depending on mic location. now introduce a couple of more mics on toms amd/or overheads and hear if this sounds EVEN BETTER. maybe try lower levels. In summary -
the whole idea of this technique is to use leakage of the drums into the guitar mics to produce a solid bed track. after this is done you could overdub just another drum track by itself to create an ILLUSION OF SOLID two drummer DRUM TRACKS OR EVEN USE LATIN PERCUSSION.
IF YOU LISTEN TO EARLY SANTANA notice the use of reinforcing latin percussion on the tracks.

well that about wraps it up for today. i'll cover vocals and some other tricks next time as this is getting rather long.
hope this helps some newbies out with new ideas and approaches.
my saying for the year - "use fewer plug ins" and more
"old style recording techniques".
regards
bmanning
if you get time, listen to a pretty solid studio drummer i used on
"H lady" at soundclick.com/bmanning hifi play is best. this song went very high on the rock charts there a while back. its a comedic song about a crazy woman who gets an unsuspecting chap stoned. Parental discretion advised.
recorded in an elite studer studio. the guitar sounds alone were 400 hrs WORK.
and if you listen to the song, and wonder if it was me in the song - NO - i have NEVER touched the stuff.
its just a joke song ! i'm a one beer a week guy. when i'm out with my wife !!

thanks chris. the trouble is after i write these articles
i kick myself for forgetting to mention something.

manning1,

The content is good, but I wish you could learn to write in paragraphs, and to use the Shift key more effectively. There's a lot of useful information in your message, but it's a bit difficult to read because of the haphazard formatting.

(This is not meant as an attack, but as constructive criticism. I would have PM'd it to you, but it seems you have the PM feature turned off.)

I heartily commend you for not mentioning PowerTracks Pro Audio 8.0, which is available for only $29 from pgmusic.com. OK, you mentioned it once; but it was very subtle.

:D

Cool stuff. I'm not sure how much I agree with you on the amp commentary though. Bottom line is, your recording can only sound as good as your SOURCE. Sure, you can probably get some great tones out of little amps that have great tone, but dont tell me I can get twin reverb or thick marshall tone out of those amps.

Ill add to that with the guitar mic placement post

I done quite a bit of work for artists on the " Metal Blade " label so I guess I can chime in

Actually a lot of this came from following around the UBER God Of Metal Engineering : Bill Metoyer. ( check the back of your records, if you dont see his name on anything, you need a trip to the record store )

Make DAMN sure your guitar is in tune, and intonated properly. Different intonations and even VERY slightly different, can make whole separate flavors of distortion so get it as close as you can. If you know the difference in distortion sound between a 24 3/4" scale guitar neck and a 25 1/2" one then you know what Im saying.

Now on to your preamp, or preamp section of your head, depending on what you got. In most cases, metal guitar tones come from a LOT, a WHOLE LOT less ( thats right LESS ) distortion/preamp gain than you would use live. For riffs and chord changes, the REAL heaviness comes from dynamics, the fact that it gets LOUDER when your pic hits the string than when the string is just resonating.
It seems obvious but its not really. You need to MAXIMIZE the dynamic range at this stage because from here on out, the signal is going to be compressed and degraded in all sorts of ways. In most cases the gain should be about where, when if you SOFTLY strum a chord it actually comes out clean. Transistor amps/pedals may not do this ( some will ) which is another reason tubes are usually perferred for this type of thing.
Now, tone. Scooped mids, cranked bass and treble right? WRONG. For recording you will need a LOT more mids than you normally would for live. You need to be heard. The way our ears work, we take most of our cues from the midrange. Get as much body in the tone as you can....not bottom, body. You can always scoop it out later if you must. Like the lumberjack says " always cut long" right ?

Ok, on to the power amp or the power section of your head if you use one. Here is where you start the dynamic reduction process. You want to get a sound with enough sustain to work, but being careful whether or not you want to HEAR power tube saturation or speaker distortion. In some cases you want to, in some cases you dont. Get a good sound that you ENJOY. Make sure ( if you can at this point in the recording) that it fits with the other tracks. You will probably use a speaker that you wouldnt like live for this process. A speaker with more mid's than normal, like a celestion Vintage 30 or maybe a Kendrick. Greenbacks are good live, but sometimes lose that all important midrange on tape. Watch the speaker distortion, get a power level that makes COMFORTABLE dynamics for you. Errr on the LESS compressed side so you gotta work just a WEE bit harder than normal to crunch it up.

Now, stand in the room with the amp. Get your head moving around until you find the one speaker that sounds better than the others, or maybe just a real good spot where it seems to sound best. I am assuming we are NOT going after a " room " sound at this point. Stick a 57 RIGHT there, where your ear was.
Now, at the console, FIRST verify that that is *roughly* the sound you heard out there. Be sure levels are where they should be etc...no eq at this point on the console. Have someone move the mic back towards or away from the cab ( or do it yourself with headphones ). You are doing two things with this:

1) changing the ratio of direct( from the speaker ) vs. reflected ( yeah you might be only a few inches from the cab but the room still is playing a HUGE part) sound coming into the mic

2)changing the amount of dynamic compression that the actual volume of the speaker is causing in the mic's diaphragm, ribbon or voice coil. You are changing the BEHAVIOUR of the sound here.

Once you like the placement of your mic, its time to get REAL tricky.

ONE mic is almost never enough, but with two or more, PHASE CANCELLATION rears its ugly head. But we got a trick for that right?

Here comes

Put the guitar down. Make it make noise, or take the cable off and stick it on something that will make noise. This noise has to be stable and constant....a fender strat's hum is perfect for this assuming it has some midrange harmonics to it.

Using your console's meters, bring that noise up to wherever your "zero" is. This will probably require a LOT of mic pre gain so make sure your speakers are turned down. DONT let anyone touch the guitar or whatever the noise source is. Once youve got the signal to zero, mute the channel

Next go into the room with the amp, and put another mic about equidistant from the speaker as the first mic is...Be careful not to disturb Mic #1.

Back in the control room, bring Mic #2 up to zero

Now, VERY IMPORTANTLY, pull Mic#2's fader ( NOT mic pre ) down to -infinity. Unmute Mic#1. Slowly push Mic#2's fader up towards zero.

If the volume at your final LeftRight Mix buss on your console goes UP, you need to flip the phase of mic #2. If your console doesnt have a phase switch, make an out of phase cable. Just reverse pins 2 and 3 on an XLR, and make DAMN sure you label that cable from now on so you dont screw up some overheads or something.
Remember if the volume goes UP flip the phase

If the volume goes down we can proceed...keep flipping the phase until the volume goes DOWN when they are at their zeros.

Now pick up a bat, knife or gun. Whatever you are best with. Threaten anyone in the control room with it and say " DO NOT touch that guitar !!!! I am gonna have headphones on at extreme gain levels and am risking it all so you can have a good guitar sound ". Wave the weapon around menacingly until you are SURE that they get the point. Kick them out and lock the door if you cant trust em...now is NOT the time for gags.

now go out to the amp with headphones on. You will hear a hiss or buzz or hum...make sure the hum in the phones is louder than the one you can hear directly from the amp.

DO NOT cough, you will blow your eardrums right into each other. Becareful of any noise that may be present.

Now, EXTREMELY carefully, move Mic#2 back and forth, left and right. SLOWLY

You should hear a whoosh, much like a flanger pedal would make.

The trick here is to find the spot where the LEAST noise is coming out of the headphones. Keep moving the mic you will find it.

have you caught the theory yet? We are looking for the spot where the two mics are THE MOST in phase with each other. If one is phase flipped, then at the most in phase spot, they will nearly cancel each other out. FIND THAT SPOT

once you got it, take off the phones and go back to the console.

Turn both mic preamps gains ALL the way down. Put fader one at the unity position on your console. Play your guitar and turn up the mic pre gain until you hit zero. Now mute Mic #1. Now turn fader 2 to the unity position. Bring up Mic pre #2 until you hit zero.

edit : OOPS!!!!!!
I forgot, tho you prolly figured it out. Unflip the phase on mic #2 at this point so that both mics are IN phase. Sorry about that

Unmute #1 and mess with the faders. Those two faders now become the BEST EQ money can buy! Turn up one then the other, experiment to your heart's content. Once you got a sound you like, buss them together and send em to a track...or keep em separate if you want some choices later...

revel in your glorious new tone!

Aaron Carey
StudioZ/Pipelineaudio
www.studiozpro.com

Back