Newbie Starting Home Studio Recording.

Sarah1992

Hey.

I've been searching through Google the past couple of weeks for an answer to this question, but thought i'd see if i'd get any replies on here too...:rolleyes:

Basically, i'm looking at an analog mixer, which has direct outputs at the back.

It might sound like a stupid question but, is it possible to do multitrack recording using the direct outputs?

If so, how would i go about it?

Cheers for any help :)

Yes you can do it that way if that's what you want to do your recordings.
Some suggestions I would give is The Allen Heath mix wizard 3, or may be the Midas 16 channel mixer.
But for the love of all that is sacred stay away from behringer or makie and the like.

Basically, i'm looking at an analog mixer, which has direct outputs at the back.

It might sound like a stupid question but, is it possible to do multitrack recording using the direct outputs?

If so, how would i go about it?

If you get hold of an analog mixer (any brand) with direct outs, you can do multitrack recording. If you are just starting out and learning about this, then a budget brand (such as Behringer) will not cripple your bank account if you decide the game is not for you.

You haven't mentioned what you would like to record onto (tape, PC, stand-alone unit).

Multitrack stand-alone units are available (which means you don't need a mixer).

You can do multitrack recording to a PC, so long as you have a multitrack interface (such as the Presonus Firestudio). Again, these interfaces are designed to take mike and line-level inputs, so likewise, you don't necessarily need a mixer.

Alternatively, Allen & Heath make the ZedR16 which is a sixteen channel mixer with a built-in interface that connects to a computer via firewire. This useful mixer, though, is getting up in price.

If you describe more fully what you would like to be able to do, it becomes easier to suggest something that will achieve this.

If you get hold of an analog mixer (any brand) with direct outs, you can do multitrack recording. If you are just starting out and learning about this, then a budget brand (such as Behringer) will not cripple your bank account if you decide the game is not for you.

You haven't mentioned what you would like to record onto (tape, PC, stand-alone unit).

Multitrack stand-alone units are available (which means you don't need a mixer).

You can do multitrack recording to a PC, so long as you have a multitrack interface (such as the Presonus Firestudio). Again, these interfaces are designed to take mike and line-level inputs, so likewise, you don't necessarily need a mixer.

Alternatively, Allen & Heath make the ZedR16 which is a sixteen channel mixer with a built-in interface that connects to a computer via firewire. This useful mixer, though, is getting up in price.

If you describe more fully what you would like to be able to do, it becomes easier to suggest something that will achieve this.

Thanks, that's been a help :).

I was actually looking at Behringer mixers, more specifically the Behringer XENYX X2442 USB mixer - http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...channel-mixer-with-usb-audio-interface--71182

This has direct outputs so i was wondering what sort of interface i would need to connect to, to do multitrack recording. :confused:

I will be using a PC.

Thanks for all the help so far :D

Thanks, that's been a help :).

I was actually looking at Behringer mixers, more specifically the Behringer XENYX X2442 USB mixer - http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipme...channel-mixer-with-usb-audio-interface--71182

This has direct outputs so i was wondering what sort of interface i would need to connect to, to do multitrack recording. :confused:

I will be using a PC.

Thanks for all the help so far :D

The USB mixer will allow you to record two tracks at once to PC via its USB cable. If you want to do more tracks at once simultaneously, you need to look at other alternatives. Or, you can mix the various inputs on the mixer and record a stereo mix to PC. But it won't record the tracks separately, and the direct-outs will be no help either.

The key is how the information gets into the PC, and that is tied to the interface. The mixer has only a built-in two-channel USB interface.

To use the direct-outs, look at multi-track interfaces.

The USB mixer will allow you to record two tracks at once to PC via its USB cable. If you want to do more tracks at once simultaneously, you need to look at other alternatives. Or, you can mix the various inputs on the mixer and record a stereo mix to PC. But it won't record the tracks separately, and the direct-outs will be no help either.

The key is how the information gets into the PC, and that is tied to the interface. The mixer has only a built-in two-channel USB interface.

To use the direct-outs, look at multi-track interfaces.

Ahhh, right, ok. So using the direct outs to connect to a interface wouldn't work.

Ok.

Do you have any recomendations for any mixers that WOULD be able to record the tracks seperately?

My main aim is to record drums, so i'd need at least 8 inputs.

Any help would be great. :)

Thanks again.

Why do you need a mixer at all?

Sounds like you just need a multichannel interface that can route all your inputs to whatever you're recording on and you can mix them on that.

you could connect your line outs to multiple line ins on an interface like the terratec ews88mt/phase 88 or maudio delta 1010,,,which is what i did once upon a time,

but personally, i would recommend buying an interface with mic preamps built in, like a presonus firepod/fp10 or something like that?

a unit like that, on it's own, would let you record 8 microphones a the same time.

Here's what I suggest.

Since your going to be converting to digital anyway, just get yourself an interface with 8 mic preamps. I would skip the analog mixer (especially a cheap one). It will only add noise to your recordings and really have no benefit. Even with a mixer you would still need an interface so why not just skip one step?

Now as far as interfaces go...there are several out there in your budget that would suit your needs. The Presonus Firestudio/Firepod/FP10. The MOTU 8pre. Alesis has some. Focusrite has some. With 8 tracks you'll probably want to stick with firewire, but there are some USB interfaces with 8 preamps.

I can personally speak of the Presonus Firepods and Firestudio because I've owned both and both have worked flawlessly for me.

If you have money left over, spend it on room treatment and microphones.

Most have forgotten about tape, but you can interface your mixer with direct outs (whichever you choose) to either an analog tape machine or a digital tape machine. You'll have one channel per track depending upon your combination. It's always good to match the number of channels (or more) with the number of tracks you have available. You'll be able to record on at least as many tracks as you have channels.

TASCAM and Fostex made very nice analog tape machines that are relatively cheap in this digital age. TASCAM and Alesis also made digital tape machines that record on Hi-VHS or Hi-8mm tape similar to those used in the old VCR's and camcorders. They make very nice recordings. The digital tape machines are rather finicky and were often more heavily used compared with their analog counterparts. Their head wear is faster and adjustments seem more critical on digital machines.

There are good deals to be had on both, but until you do the bookwork on them I'd advise against buying the first thing you see or find.

The TASCAM DA-38, 88, and 98 are all nice digital tape machines. For analog, the TASCAM 38, 48, and 58 are all sturdy reliable machines. The higher the number the more robust and pro-oriented the machine.

If you choose this format, make sure you do plenty of reading about these type of machines. It's not rocket science, but they are electro-mechanical machines and you need to know what you're getting into before you pull the trigger.

'Course you can always plug a mic into a computer, but it's not quite the same. :(

Thanks for all the help. I'm considering the interfaces and skipping the mixer as you said. :).

The only reason I was going for that Behringer mixer was because that is how we've learnt multitrack recording etc. at college on my music technology course :D.

Thanks again!

Yo Sarah! Consider this unit, which falls well into your price range:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=60335&Category=Recorders

It combines the functions of a standalone recorder with a computer interface, and can do either one. It gives you 8 simultaneous ins, and can record to its own SD card, or direct to computer, up to 8 simultaneous tracks, and can add 8 more by overdub for a total of 16 tracks. You can mix and remix with the onboard mixer, mix in the computer, or dump the finished tracks into the computer for further processing. You also have the choice of using the built in EQ, compression, and FX, or those in the computer. Comes with cubase software, if you don't already have a favorite audio processing software program. It also can run on batteries, wall current, or is powered by the USB connection when used as an interface. What's not to love?-Richie

If you really wanted to use an analog mixer... I use a Soundcraft M8 with the 8 direct outs going into a MAudio Delta 1010lt. The Soundcraft has really nice pres and it also doubles as the front end for our band's PA plus it handles playback and monitoring. The 1010lt card is cheap and probably the next thing I'll upgrade, but its usable for sure (especially for the price)- I've been using this setup for about 6 years now.

If you were to go for the all-in-one interface, the Motu 8Pre would probably be my first choice.

Yo Sarah! Consider this unit, which falls well into your price range:

http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=60335&Category=Recorders

It combines the functions of a standalone recorder with a computer interface, and can do either one. It gives you 8 simultaneous ins, and can record to its own SD card, or direct to computer, up to 8 simultaneous tracks, and can add 8 more by overdub for a total of 16 tracks. You can mix and remix with the onboard mixer, mix in the computer, or dump the finished tracks into the computer for further processing. You also have the choice of using the built in EQ, compression, and FX, or those in the computer. Comes with cubase software, if you don't already have a favorite audio processing software program. It also can run on batteries, wall current, or is powered by the USB connection when used as an interface. What's not to love?-Richie

+1 for the ZOOM R16. I own one and it's been a great little machine.
Here's a link to the ZOOM user's forum if you want to get a little techincal feedback on the pros and cons.
http://2090.org/zoom/bbs/index.php

Good luck!

Back