Newbie Recording with iPad Garageband

caavoom

Hello everyone. I just bought an iPad 2 specifically for Garageband recording and looking forward to recording decent home demos. I'm primarily a guitarist but I can play keyboards as well. I have a few questions that I hope you guys can help me out with;

1. Do I need a USB Midi Controller? Someone is selling me his Behringer UMX49 for a very good price and I was also offered a Korg MicroKey USB MIDI Keyboard as an alternative. Do I need any of these? I was able to test out the Korg and it does work with Garageband on an iPad 2 (connected with Apple Camera Connector). Haven't been able to test the Behringer, though.

I do need to lay down keyboard tracks for my songs. I'm just not sure about the two hardware.

2. What's the best way to record my electric and/or acoustic guitar and bass to the iPad?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to your replies.

2. You need an interface to get your audio into the iPad. One that works with the iPad. If the only reason you've bought an iPad is to record, you've unnecessarily hobbled your choices, but I doubt, despite you saying it, that that's the case.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I bought the iPad 2 not for recording 100%, but I have to say 80% of the reason.

So a USB Audio Interface then. Howabout the two hardware that I mentioned (Korg & Behringer) do I need those? Will any of the two be a good accessory (not sure if that's the right word)?

Don't know. I don't use MIDI on keyboards.

If you want to send MIDI instructions to a DAW such as Garageband, then use those instructions to play different sounds from a soft synth, then you'll need a MIDI keyboard.

Hopefully someone who knows more about this area will pop along soon...

For guitar & bass recording, if the iPad 2 has the 30-pin connector like the 3rd Generation iPad, then I highly recommend the Apogee Jam ($99.00). Guitar tracks sound excellent using this device.

Back