Newbie! Looking for Software suggestions

gerrards

Hi all,

Brand new to this. I've been recording accoustically on my PC (Windows 98) using a microphone through my soundcard.

What I am looking for is software that will allow me to create more complex songs ie. drums, bass, keyboards, strings. I DO NOT want to use MIDI. I've had a look at Cakewalk and found this doesn't seem to like my soundblaster 16 card.

One I have found that I like but is a bit basic is Muzys but it only seems to have basic instruments (in the v3.0 demo download anyway).

Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to be paying megabucks for it. I mean, it's only a hobby so I'd like to pay no more than £150 british sterling for it.

Any suggestions will be very welcome.

Ta much in advance,

Gerrard

Soundblaster 16? You should first buy another card (at least an Audigy, since it's a hobby), then the software. I think that's the first setp, cuz you won't do much with the card you have, no matter the software.

I suggest you stick to Cakewalk. Don't know what you play, but you'll need to use MIDI to make drums, that's for sure (if you don't mic a real drum, of course).

BShark

BTW.......

Cakewalk shouldn't have any problems with your SB card.

Let us know what problems you are encountering.

BloodShark said:
Soundblaster 16? You should first buy another card (at least an Audigy, since it's a hobby)
I agree with the above except for the "Audigy" part.

Scroll a little more than 1/2 way down the page on this link:

M-Audio's Delta 410 is a much better soundcard than the Audigy at $110 (about £65)

You will see a big improvement in your Cakewalk software performance with an actual purpose-built recording soundcard.
Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 can be had on eBay frequently for around $60 or so (£35)

There's a "no more than £150" solution.

Back