newbie- instrument replication software

silentbbob

I only have fruity loops , which im just getting used to. I like it but I cant get smooth sounds out of it , especially with violins. Is there any software that does this for violins and other similar instruments.

Is there any software that does this for violins and other similar instruments.

Yeah, it's called a violinist :)

Seriously, you're facing one of the real limitations of using sampled instruments. A violin is an excellent example. The possible tones produced by a violin are infinite -- you can pluck it or bow it; bow it hard or soft; fast or slow, back or forth, and so on... then there's the fingering of notes...

To be convincing, a violin sample would need to respond to playing techniques much like a real violin does. So the playing techniques have to be mapped to some kind of MIDI controller like velocity or aftertouch, and the sound that is triggered has to be realistic, meaning a very large number of samples for each note.

This is really a problem with any instrument. With drums or organs it's not so noticeable because the possible variation of sound is less dramatic and more subtle -- one drum hit or one note on an organ sounds much the same no matter, or at least it's harder to tell the difference. With winds and saxes and volins and guitars, it is just very very difficult to get sequenced parts to sound real.

AlChuck pretty much told you like it is.

Somethings you are going to have to compromise upon, unless you use a "live" player.

It might be possible for you to use Acid 2.0 or 3.0, so you can manipulate the sound of your violin a little better.

spin

Well, ACID will only be helpful if you can build your parts out of pre-existing melodic snippets... so if your violin parts are pretty basic and standard this might give you some good results...

Being the resident Classical Violin Geek around these parts, here is my two cents:
As the very wise AlChuck mentioned, violin is impossible to sample, due to the articulations, vibrato, yada yada. The violin is the most expressive instrument, next to the human voice.

However, if you must use a synth, some ideas:

Machines like Emu Proteus and Kurzweil have decent sounds.

The trick is in the orchestration. Don't play anything short, or with a quick attack, or anything staccato or spiccatto (off the string fast notes). And never try to emulate a solo player, it wont work, always go for a string section sound.

I wouldnt play anything longer than a whole note, and since the beginning attack on most samples is slow, I would play as few notes as possible, just use it for backing pads.

Never play anything above an octave over middle C, always sounds fake. The best sounds are the lower ones in the cello range, or lower Viola range.

Make sure in your recordings to stick the violins way back in the mix if you are using synths. After all, most pop stuff uses strings to warm up the sound, so just a little goes a long way.

Great post, David! Mine was all negative and even discouraging but you found the positive side with some great tips...

-AlChuck

Back