Newbie here! From Philippines

danangelo

Hello musicians,

I am glad I have found this forum. I want to create music, and it brings me here.

Here is my story.

I am a music fan since I can't remember when. I started listening to music when I was young, music of the Beatles, 70's, 80's music because of my father. From there I explored a lot of music genres from metal, to folk, hiphop, dubstep and edm almost anything that is pleasant and innovative.

Then I tried creating music using different software from the internet, and combined them using Audacity. It is manually recording and timing.

Then I discovered Linux Multimedia Studio. That is the time I said to myself I can create music that I want. But I have no proper learning, I just click and and twist some knobs there, but i don't what it really means. As long as I can create what I want.

Hope you guys can help me, and share me your knowledge and your humble beginnings.

I have a windows computer, I have tried Linux multimedia studio. That is all I know. Hope you can enlighten me what is the proper theory like, timing, time signatures, or using those LFO, reverb, attack... seems alien to me.

Thank you guys, hope I can make some music again and share it to you. Hope I explained myself well.

Love from Philippines,
Dan

Hi Dan and welcome.
Er? NO! tbh, you have not explained yourself all that well but your undoubted enthusiasm comes over!

The 'conventional' route is 'Computer, Audio Interface, DAW. You have told us little of the first and nothing of the second! If it is just yourself making music (and you don't want to record a drum kit) a basic 2 in, 2 out AI with MIDI is all you need. That will usually come with software, often Cubase but in your case I think Reaper would be the best DAW for you to 'grow' with....Or! Get in PDQ and buy the fabulous Samplitude Pro X3 package.

As soon as you can, post some music for those far more discerning than I to critique. I am just an old valve amp tech.

Dave.

Hi spantini!

Yes, they are all virtual instruments. I never tried using guitars and keyboard, although I also know how to play them. I do not know how to connect it to my computer.

Sometimes, I download a loop and play with it.

Hi ecc83!

I apologize, because my English is not that good.

As far as I know the DAW is where you edit music right? Like FL studio? Literally, I don't know anything about DAWs. I just open it, (Linux Multimedia Studio, put in some drums, search for instruments and tweaking it to sound like what I want. All the other buttons there, I don't know how to use. I also download loops from the internet and add it to my music.

I will try to search for my old videos that I have recorded and share it to you here. That is how I record my music I just record it through video and watch it again and again it feels so good. Most of them are edm.

Thank you for your suggestions. I have to learn a lot of things! But with you guys I know learning would be fun. :)

Cheers

Dan

Back