Newbie FAQ

Jotosuds

we should make a newbie FAQ for the commonly asked questions on the board. i'll start with some questions i had when starting out.

1. what do i need to record guitar and vocals?

--- you need a computer w/soundcard. the soundcard must have a line in and/or a mic in plug. you can plug in the guitar via a 1/4"--->1/8" adapter for most generic soundcards. for higher quality, you'd need to use the line in. you would need a preamp because a guitar won't work straight into the line in.

2. what's a decent sound card, preamp, mic..etc.???

work with what ever you have, but when you do need to upgrade...

soundcard:

M-Audio Audiophile 2496 150 bucks PCI interface

--- there are other more expensive soundcards, but for the upgrading newbie, this is the perfect card. two inputs, two outs, SPDIF, MIDI. RCA inputs and outputs, so you'd need 1/4" - RCA adapter cables to use w/an audiobuddy or 1/4" equipped preamp.

preamp:

M-Audio Audio Buddy 80 bucks

--- again, there are better preamps for more money, but for a newbie used to a tape recorder or whatever, this is quite the jump. two inputs, phantom power, 1/4 and XLR . 1/4" outs.

Software:

---- cheapest recroding program is N-track. it's like 50 bucks or something. other options include Home Studio 2004, Cool Edit Pro, etc. software can be pricey...

Mics:

--- SM57. this is he most versatile mic ever. everyone should have one. you can record everything with this. for a condensor, the SP B1 is apparently a very good deal. both mics are around 80 bucks.

--------

please add to this FAQ and help all the newbies! i was there, and it can be very confusing.

peace

I'm still a newbie, so maybe I shouldn't comment.

But it seems the often overlooked/undervalued tool that every person interested in eventually improving thier recordings NEEDS is time and the ability to invest it in just listening and actually "getting your hands dirty", trial and error.

All the manuals, etc. IMO are not nearly as helpful as trial and error. I spent way too much time reading, when I should have been attempting it for myself.

Just my opinion, hope all toes are unbruised.

*edit*-Not that this information is not of great assistance, but don't do as I did and overload yourself with unreferenced information that means nothing to you YET

One of the most frequently asked questions I see here:

Q: "How do I record my MIDI files to CD?"

A: First, understand that MIDI is not audio. You need a sound generator of some kind to "play" the MIDI file through. This sound generator may be embedded in your computer's sound card, or it may be one or more external synthesizers or modules.

Then, you need to somehow get the audio output from your sound generator(s) into your computer's audio input.

Once you have the audio going into the computer, run an audio recording program (your CD burning software (e.g. Nero) probably came with one that's adequate) to create a 16-bit, 44.1 kHz stereo audio file in PCM format.

Finally , use your CD burning software to transfer this file to a CD.

Back