Newbie DSLR/microphone question

benberst

Hi guys, I'm great when it comes to cameras, but audio is another question.

I have a Canon DSLR, and a Sennheiser E835s microphone. I have an adapter that plugs the microphone straight into my DSLR and records audio and film on the same file. I'm getting a load of static and hiss from the audio. I presume it's because I'm recording it straight into the camera, but that's what I'm trying to ask, if it's the case or not.

If that is the case, how can I fix it, or what should I be recording the microphone into? I use it for interviewing people.

Thanks.

It's *probably* looking for a line level input. You'd need some sort of preamp in there.

And as one who has "been there, done that" you're probably also looking for an omnidirectional mic. But that's for another thread...

It's probably a mix of the audio input on the DSLR and the mic itself. The 835 is a nice little mic for live vocal work...better than a 58 in my opinion...but as soon as it's more than a foot or so from somebody speaking or singing, it's out of it's comfort zone.

There are various solutions to DSLR audio. One I actually know an can recommend is from the UK manufacturer Lindos. MiniSonic Mic Kit - For professional audio recording I've used this stuff and it's pretty much pro quality audio.

Rode also have gear for use with DSLRs but I don't have any personal experience...probably worth a look though.

Hey, Massive...why are you suggesting an omni mic? In many years of TV work, I've rarely used an omni in the field (except for lavs and/or hand helds like the 635A).

Thanks for the replys everyone

benberst..... what is the adapter you are using? A few years back I was wanting to connect my XLR mics to my camcorder. Your DSLR should likely have a similar type of mic input. I had bought an "adapter" which was supposed to work. I ran into similar issues with poor sound and extra noise. The adapter evidently had a transformer in it to match impedance of the mic to the camcorder, which in the end I found I didn't need. The e835 should work well as it has neodymium magnets which provide a fairly hot output.

Adapter with transformer.... didn't work well
Impedance Transformer - Hosa Technology

Adapter without transformer.... both dynamic and condenser mics sounded good. If you can solder and follow a wiring diagram, this cable is pretty easy to build yourself, which is what I did prior to purchasing this Hosa adapter cable......
Microphone Cable - Hosa Technology

Both cables are wired to take the "mono" mic signal and input it as left/right signals to the camcorder input.

I suspect the reason for the omni-direction mic suggestion was keyed by the phrase "interviewing people" where the mic would be more forgiving as to the direction it was pointed when used between two or more people.

arcaxis I'm using the second XLR adapter you linked, the one you said worked well. I get the hissing sound when I use my rode microphone too, but not as much, so I have a feeling it's something to do with the actual DSLR itself. I've played around with the settings, and the only solution I've found is editing the audio in post, which isn't ideal.

Is there a selection in the menu of the DSLR to turn off AGC (automatic gain control) for the mic input and set the mic gain manually? When doing the interviews how far away from the persons mouth is the mic?

Yes I put the audio on manual on the DSLR, and have the volume fairly low then hold the microphone close. I put the microphone to whomever's speaking, I don't hold it below both of us. The lower I turn the volume the lower the hiss, but if I lower the volume too much even post can't amplify it without it sounding terrible.

Back