Newbie audio question

nathanmarj

Hi everyone I am very new to the audio world.

How can I hook up a computer to a crown 28m to record whats being said into the mics.

Can I use the preamp output?
If so do I just cut one end off a 3.5 male to male audio cable and plug one into computer and one into pre amp?
Ive been told I can do this.
If this is true does anyone know the color code for how I connect the wires into the pre amp?

Thx much.

You would use the line out jacks/connections from the Crown amp - but what do you have for an input device for your computer? What software are you using for recording?

Hi there,

How you do this would depend on the computer input device, as MJB says.
The preamp outputs on the amp have + - and ground x 2.
That suggests stereo balanced outputs.

If your recording input (computer built in) is unbalanced stereo, which they generally are, I guess you'd just use the + and ground for each output? Can't see why not.
Don't be surprised if it's buzzy or noisy, though.

If you have some other interface with balanced line inputs, that'd be much better.

For each output take ground, negative and positive to Shield Ring and Tip of a TRS plug, in that order.
The orientation of negative and positive doesn't actually matter, as long as you do the same for both TRS plugs.

Hope that helps! :)

Would I come off the crown amp or the crown mixer 28m?
Was planning on just going straight into the sound card of a desktop computer.
Software may be something like mixlr to archive and broadcast.

The premp out put on the mixer is a phoenix 3 prong. If i cut the audio cable do I run red left. bare copper in middle and white wire on the right?

Thx

What Crown "amp" are you talking about. You only mentioned the 28M mixer.

If you're going to try going straight into the computer, try wiring it up like the edited image below. The shield would be the sleeve of the 1/8" plug, blue the ring, and red the tip (or whatever respective colors may be in the 1/8" cable). Wired this way the unbalanced mono signal goes to both left and right in the Line in jack on the computer. As Steen mentioned it looks as if the preamp could be setup in a 2 channel stereo mode where each input channel could be assigned full left or right (note: the left and right ins on the RCA's are summed to mono). If this is something you'd want to the red wire would go to +OUT1 and the blue to +OUT2.

What are you using for mics that get into the preamp with Phoenix connectors?

The message in the green box I believe pertains to avoiding a ground loop between the preamp and the device you're connecting to which may cause hum.

Manual here....
http://adn.harmanpro.com/site_eleme.../14M-28M-Operation-Manual-138097_original.pdf

Attachments

• pa wiring.jpg
    pa wiring.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Was planning on just going straight into the sound card of a desktop computer.
Software may be something like mixlr to archive and broadcast.

The premp out put on the mixer is a phoenix 3 prong. If i cut the audio cable do I run red left. bare copper in middle and white wire on the right?

Thx

You're connecting a balanced output to an unbalanced input. This should help:

Sound System Interconnection

Note that the three conductors on the 1/8" (3.5mm) plug are for 2-channel unbalanced signal. The bare wire is the shared ground for both channels and the white/red are left/right.

The three conductors on the Phoenix connector are for single channel balanced operation. The center pin is the ground, the pin on the left is the + and the pin on the right is -. To connect unbalanced to balanced connect the ground to ground and signal to +. Since it's two channels the shared ground on the cable will need to go to the grounds on both Crown outputs, the red to the + of one output and the white to the + of the other.

And doing all this you may still have noise issues due to the cheapness of the sound card and the challenges of running analog audio directly into the computer.

Ok, I will give it a try.
If there is something else you suggest I buy to better acomplish this within 200 dollars let me know
thx

Ok, I will give it a try.
If there is something else you suggest I buy to better acomplish this within 200 dollars let me know
thx
- What are you trying to accomplish (what is the purpose/end use) by recording of what is said into mics and how many and what type of mics?
- Do you need the recordings to be of good quality or simply a basic recording of what is being said?

The preamp you have appears to be intended for use with a commercial PA system and while it may be good for that, may not yield great results for recording purposes.

Its at a church.
Purpose is to record sermons / presentations.
Think there is 4 mikes.

Of course the better quality sound is better but not sure how much of a budget they have.

Get a proper audio interface (probably USB), wire up a Phoenix-TRS cable (tip to +, ring to -, sleeve to shield) and connect it to a line input on the interface.

Correct. The first preamp output goes to I believe the Amp. The second is just empty.
This is for a church and I just recently was asked to help out with it so Im not to familiar with it yet.

Well thanks a ton for the help guys I will give it whirl.

Back