Newbie (again) advice sought

Duc

I’ve been away from recording (at least on the recording side of things) for about 15 years. I have done a lot of self-recording – everything from voice and guitar to full band including horn overdubs on 4-track analog recorders. I always meant to do more, but unfortunately, my day job started taking a lot of my time, then I got married and had kids…and you know the story.

Anyway, I’m here because I want to get back into recording (digital this time), and would like to hear recommendations on recording equipment and the best way to get my home studio up and running.

I’ve spent some time on the “other side of the glass” over the years, and because I rarely charge for sessions, I’ve picked up some random equipment as trade for my services (I’ll spare you the long stories that go with this, and "no", I won't do your session for free :) ). My current equipment list (recording related at least) is below.

Alesis RA100 amp and a pair of monitor 1’s
Lexicon MPX 100 (effects)
Behringer Ultrapatch 2000 (patch bay)
Behringer DSP 1400P Ultramizer (limiter / compressor)
BOSS GT-8 guitar effects
Assorted Shure SM57, SM58, and Beta 58’s

The obvious piece of equipment I need is a multi-track recorder. I’ve been looking at the Boss BR1200 and BR900, as they have some vocal processing built in*(see below), but I’m not convinced that it’s the best solution for my situation. I am fairly positive I would like to use a stand alone recorder rather than a computer based solution, as I would like the ability to record acoustic instruments and vocals in alternate locations.

I would love to hear suggestions on multitrack recorders, as well as other “must-buy” equipment I should be looking at. I know I will want at least one higher quality vocal mic, but I think I can get by without one for a while My budget is probably $1500 max to get started, but I know I’ll spend more over time.

I am curious to hear your opinions on what I should be looking at buying (or what, of my current equipment, I should be selling!). The stuff I'll record will be primarily rock / pop stuff with me laying down most or all of the tracks (which pretty much makes virtual tracks a must :o )

*I know the effects are a bit cheesy, but I loathe editing my own vocal tracks, and hate editing my own harmonies even more – I’m not going to try to release anything either – this is just for fun and for getting ideas down and worked out,

forgot to mention

I also have a Mackie 1202 mixer (I think that's the model number - I'm not near my equipment right now.

I use and recommend the previous model to this, the AW16g.

The new one ups the ante for almost exactly the same money I paid for mine by adding 6 more mic preamps and 24 bit recording capabilities.

Here's a link to the new AW1600 . You mentioned effects, and this unit has the equivalent of two SPX900's (the industry-standard multi effects boxes) as well as separate EQ and dynamics processing for each channel.

You'll also need a microphone to go along with your new recorder, and I recommend this to get you started. It's a good quality mic and will serve you well for as long as you don't drop it...

Last edited:
is that all?

I like the specs of the Yamaha unit, and it seems to fit what I need better than the Boss units.
I couldn't find anything in the specs on the aw1600 mic pre's - would it be better to have an external pre (and include purchase in my budget), or are these digital units really that self contained?

A few more questions:

Are the effects extensive enough that my Lexicon unit would be useless, or should I keep it around?
Anything else from the above list I should look at getting rid of?

Is there anything else I need or anyone would recommend?

Thanks for the mic suggestion - that mic looks good, and although I was planning on just using a beta 58 for vocals, at that price I can't afford not to buy one (you can never have enough mics anyway).

Duc said:
I couldn't find anything in the specs on the aw1600 mic pre's
Relax.

They're professional, 'CD' quality and there are eight of them. There are MANY things you will need to upgrade before you start worrying about the specs of the mic pres.

All of the gear you list is worth keeping around for one simple reason -- it's all worth more to you than what you could get for any of it.

For what it's worth, I have an MPX100 in my rack. I don't use it on every project but when I want what it does that I can't easily get out of any other machine I'm glad I didn't take the eighty dollars I was offered for it.

ok - I'm relaxed - you're right on the equipment. As long as there is room in the rack, I should keep it around. I also believe you on the mpx - I probably won't use it often, but when I do I will be glad I have it.

One last newbie question (for now) - should I use the mackie at all right now? I know I don't want it between the source and the multitrack, but should I send the stereo outs on the mt through the mixer, or directly to the RA100? I can see advantages / disadvantages for both.

Back