Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Newbie advice needed pls: Background Noise and Whistling Sound when Recording to PC

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Well, a strange thing happened, I attempted to post a short clip from the track I'm working with so that people could examine the crackle if they so wish but when I exported it to .wav , the wav file no longer made the crackle sound, my next step I guess is to try exporting a sample of my vocal acapella to see if the same phenomenon occurs.
    With regards to the PC, it's a HP Pavillion Desktop PC as opposed to a laptop, it's only used for this purpose and has a lot of memory, my friend even shoved in some extra ram etc before I left for Spain, and since this set up worked for year with the previous inferior PC I think we can probably eliminate the PC power from the issue.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sisaogirl View Post
    Well, a strange thing happened, I attempted to post a short clip from the track I'm working with so that people could examine the crackle if they so wish but when I exported it to .wav , the wav file no longer made the crackle sound...
    This does kind of confirm that it's a setting in your DAW that's causing lost blocks during realtime processing. So, seconding @ecc83 's recommendation to futz with buffer size setting and see if that makes a difference. (Exporting the track is a non-realtime process, so buffer size will not impact it like listening does.)
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

Thanks
    Could be disk fragmentation. Especially with older rotating rust if it is pretty filled up...
    MB Pro, FF400, MKH816, AKG C451-C1/CK8, NT1, B5, MD21, Korg RC168, DEQ830, ADA8000...

Thanks
    I took a few days away from the problem as it was driving me crazy but now I'm back it, have tried changing the buffer size setting in the general Cubase settings but it doesn't seem to make any difference at the moment, unless there is something I'm missing. I also opened up a fresh Cubase project and imported the audio file and strangely at this current moment it's not crackling in that particular project...strange again. Also, I'm finding that although the whistling has gone whilst recording, I'm only getting a very low wave for the vocal and when I increase this so that I can hear it against the track...well then I can here distortion again. Might be time for a whole new set up.

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sisaogirl View Post
    I took a few days away from the problem as it was driving me crazy but now I'm back it, have tried changing the buffer size setting in the general Cubase settings but it doesn't seem to make any difference at the moment, unless there is something I'm missing. I also opened up a fresh Cubase project and imported the audio file and strangely at this current moment it's not crackling in that particular project...strange again. Also, I'm finding that although the whistling has gone whilst recording, I'm only getting a very low wave for the vocal and when I increase this so that I can hear it against the track...well then I can here distortion again. Might be time for a whole new set up.
    Don't think there is any "might" about it!

Attached are two spectra. The "A&H" is a pretty good USB mixer but is a bog S, 'generic' 16bit USB audio system. You can see the mess!. In practice those spikes (once Win gains are properly set!) are well below ambient noise for the mixer's intended purpose, recording live bands but if you crank the replay gain on a low level recording the noises WILL intrude. N.B. That mixer, just adequate tho' it is is WAY better than most 16 bit cheap recorders.

Compare the 24bit* recording of the baseline noise of my NI KA6 interface. Not only is the average level some 12dB lower but there is an almost complete absence of spikes (even the one you can see is probably due to my hurried setup)

So, you desperately need an external Audio Interface to get you clean recordings. Be aware, noise might still be a problem but it will likely be just noise EXTERNAL to the system. You should at least be free of 'whistles'!

*In practice the spectra are of 16 bit exports. The KA6 recording was done at 24/44.1kHz but Right Mark Analyser can only handle 16 bit .wavs . No matter, it is the MESS we are interested in! Note too that the R/H dB scale is 'wrong' ? I do not have a -122dBFS (there are a few!) system, more -100dBFS for the KA6.

Dave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spec-h-noise-png   spectrum-base-noise-ka6-png  

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ecc83 For This Useful Post:

Thread Information