Newb read boards;now,newb builds male tenor vocal focused recording system-dbl chk me

danielshawn

I've been reading all I can for 2 days on the boards here, now I want to build something where I can record my own vocals over MIDI tracks or a capella. (I am a male tenor, clasically trained, Renaissance/Baroque-oriented, with forrays into folk song, musical theater, and soft pop [think thin, bright, pure-- http://www.geocities.com/danielshawn_99 and find the very bottom link titled "Come, Holy Ghost, In Love" [recorded with SB Live Value and the Radio Shack special mic!])

For each piece, I want to spend around the amount of the item I suggsted. +/- $100 is no biggie; where applicable, if downgrading one piece so I could upgrade a more important piece is also fine.

After reading much, I realize that at the lower price levels, much sounds and acts the same. I don't have a good reason to pick the MA Audiophile 2496 over the TerraTec DMX 6fire 24/96, Tascam US-122, or Mia except that I saw the MA well recommended here already. And I don't truly expect one will be THAT different from the other (other than logistically, of course, the Tascam being USB and the MA not.)

I just want to doube-check that I have all the pieces I will need and that I'm not missing something due to ignorance.

This will all connect to a P4 1.5ghz with 768 RAM

So I need:

SOUND CARD - other than my SB Live Value which I can retain for MIDI use:
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 - Highly recommended and I require few inputs.

MICROPHONE connects to pre-amp? - (I want one dynamic and one large diaphragm condenser mic)
DYN - Shure 57 or 58 - seems to be a staple
LDC - I ask guidance in the $400-500 range here since I have provided a very focused use for the microphone. I've only seen a few posts that referred to male vocal exclusively, but even then Studio Projects C1, AT4050, KSM44, NTK, GT66, Blue Dragonfly, AEA R84, were quickly suggested. That's a lot of mics!

Chessparov perhaps wisely questions buying merely one mic; perhaps 2 at half the cost would be better for different uses (i.e classical, musical theater, soft pop.) Also, he notes that a Neumann mic (very expensive) does not compare to a Beyer mic (lesser?) for HIS particular voice. But how exactly does one test mics pre-purchase? Even if I got them hooked up in a store and sang with them, how would I adequately hear and make a good judgment? I live near Los Angeles, California if anyone works out there and wants an easy comission! :)

MIC PREAMP/MIXER connects to soundcard?
M-Audio DMP3 ($200) - I've ready so many recommendations for this product. The other suggestion that stuck out was Grace 1 a number of times; the only match I can find on-line is Grace Designs Model 101 Pre-amp (I presume this is a match? It's price tag [$600] seemed way out of line with the DMP3.) And I read in UKs Computer Music about Focusrite's VoiceMaster ($600). I've seen a Yamaha MG102 ($100) with built-in pre-amp also recommended as a budget item. If I choose the Focusrite or Yamaha, I then do not need to worry about the DMP3, Grace 101, or RNMP, right?

I'm confused as to how much effect mixing will have for the work I have outlined above. "All About Mixing" at homerecording.com seems to indicate I would benefit in two steps from a mixing device 1) adjusting the sound so it's recorded properly and 2) adjusting the recorded sound to a more a polished sound.

If I'm using a Sequencer and/or Software Studio, do I still need a Mixer? Do I even want to worry about solid state vs tube amplification?

I'm tired already; are you too? :)

CABLES connect all this stuff together:
I own a pair of Transparent Audio Reference Balanced Interconnects http://www.transparentcable.com/products/audio/ref_interconnects.html and a Transparent Audio Reference Digital Cable terminated in coaxial RCAs http://www.transparentcable.com/products/digital/ref_75_digital_cable.html , would these be suitable for connecting my "toys" together?

So, have I covered the basics here? Is this all I need to be well underway? The only things left I can think of are headphones and monitors (which I prefer to read more about before I ask questions!)

Thank you to all for your time. I appreciate the thousands of posts you've already made and any you can spare for me :)

Sincerely,
DanielShawn

Last edited:
Hi Daniel.

I don't come around HR.com as much as I used to, so it was a surprise seeing my name here. :)

As far as the Beyer M88 vs. the Neuman U87ai, they were pretty close in sound quality. Then I learned later that normally a bit of high end is added on a U87 via EQ on quite a few voices.
The "test" was done with no EQ on either microphone, so it'd be fairer to say they were comparable.

FWIW, if I were starting over with around $500 and wasn't sure what vocal microphones and pre's were "best" for me, here are my personal picks to get started;

1) Studio Projects VTB-1 mic pre (about $130 street).
If you're not in a rush though, consider comparing
the new Joe Meek line when it comes out pretty soon.
They have a mic pre, compression, and EQ all in one.

2) One of these (three) Electro-Voice microphones-
RE15, RE16, or RE18. (over the SM57 or SM58)
Generally under $100, but can depend on condition.

3) One of the Studio Projects "B" or "C" series LD condensers.
If you have any issues with sibilance, the B series are
somewhat technically easier to use IMHO.

The B's are more neutral in tone, the C's are more "vintage".
In any case the product support is superb, and you can use
that to accelerate your knowledge of recording by
contacting them with questiions.

If you have left over $$ in the budget, be sure to also try out the Beyer M88 (or M88TG), Shure SM7, and Electro-Voice RE20 someday.

Chris

Back