Newb needs help!

Andrewwwrp

hey guys, im getting started in the recording world, i want to spend the least i can, i was wondering if i used my dual 1/8" adapter in my mic input on my laptop would that work as a 2 input interface?

also i was thinking of getting the MXL 990/MXL 991 Recording Microphone Package or a $100- 150 drum mic pack to record bands, what should i use? because i know any mic can record amps and drums

Any Suggestion helps!

hey guys, im getting started in the recording world, i want to spend the least i can, i was wondering if i used my dual 1/8" adapter in my mic input on my laptop would that work as a 2 input interface?

No. You need a separate Audio Interface with as many inputs as you intend to record simultaneously.

No. You need a separate Audio Interface with as many inputs as you intend to record simultaneously.

You need an interface to record each track individually in your DAW, but I guess that theoredically, you could use a splitter to record to inputs into a single track. However, you would not be able to mix then, adjust volumes, or edit them seperately at all... So it would not be an ideal situation at all.

If you record every instrument individually, then you would be able to use your single mic input (keep in mind that this will not give you great sound though).

As a side note, keep in mind that condenser mics need "phantom power", dynamic mics don't.

Decide how many tracks you want to record at one time (like for my drums, I'm running 8 mics now so I need a minimum of 8 inputs), once you're set on how many simultaneous tracks you wanna record, do a search for an interface that meets those needs.
I think most interfaces these days have phantom power built in on at least 2 tracks. Just get the best you can afford, learn it inside and out and upgrade as you need.

Jobs people, get jobs.... life's much easier, access to better gear.... and you get more girls as a side benefit... :D

I'm married, so the latter of the benefits won't benefit me... But being a student also hinders that as well. lol

Back