Newb compressor question !

Firefab

Hey, this question really belong in this thread, so don't say it's stupid :D .

I got some waves plugins that I use regularly. I generally use the CLA compressor for everything and SSL to glue track together.(I'm starting with the PRESET and TWEAK the knob after)

My question is, what is the difference between compressor ? If someone can write me a short resume ?

I know they have all unique sound and particularity but I don't know wich. For me, all I see is the KNOB. So it is basically the same knob on Pro tools stock compressor,Sonar stock compressor, RCompressor, H-Compressor, DBX Compressor,etc....

I want to know the difference because when it comes to compress a track I see all this compressor and i'm always asking the same question : WICH ON SHOULD I CHOOSE ?

Thank you !

They all have their assorted quirks, and but as important is most compressors have much in common.
I would offer you should pick one or two and just use them -
Get some time experimenting with them, while reading up on the basics.
At first you won't hear a lot of differences as you won't know yet what to cue in on the differences.

They all have their assorted quirks, and but as important is most compressors have much in common.
I would offer you should pick one or two and just use them -
Get some time experimenting with them, while reading up on the basics.
At first you won't hear a lot of differences as you won't know yet what to cue in on the differences.

Any advices of wich one should I pick from waves for vocals ? Guitar ? Piano ? Others ?

There are two reasons to use a compressor.
1. To keep levels consistent

2. To change the envelope of the sound. (For the sound of compression)

For simply keeping levels in check, any compressor will work. For getting the sound of compression, each different type of compressor will have its unique sound.

Any advices of wich one should I pick from waves for vocals ? Guitar ? Piano ? Others ?
No.
:>)
First off I wouldn't operate from that way. My process would follow something more like 'what does this track need? (The type of track in this part of the process isn't particularly relevant. We're trying to narrow down the nature of a dynamics need here.
For some examples- Are there just some scattered excessively high peaks that need to be controlled > almost any fast compressor might be in the running. How about some general leveling and smoothing? > Perhaps any one of several low ratio medium fast compressor.
Or a preset' like comp like an La2a/optical.
Then the La2a (emulations, don't own one) also has a 'limiter mode. I'm just as apt to go with that mode when I try and end up picking that comp -on vol, electric guitar etc.
See how this going? You follow your ears, and you apply your best guess('guess).
You try a few things, compare, see how they fair.
As you go, your guesses get better :>)
A lot of the differences that define the sounds between various compressors -very often- are small compared to how they are applied, -and how they are set up-.

Back