New to using a DAW (Reaper) - How to retain pan values in rendered audio file

CEC

Hi- I'm hoping this is a dumb, easily answered "newbie" question:

I've created several tracks in Reaper, each track panned 50 to 70%, left or right to separate vocals, and a couple instruments. All sounds good when played back in Reaper (through headphones connected to my input device (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4). But when I listen to the rendered audio file on my computer (w/or w/o headphones connected to the computer), all that separation is gone. All vocals and instruments are centered as though all the pan values have been lost.

How can I determine if this is an issue with Reaper's rendering settings or the settings on my computer? And how do I fix the problem in either Reaper or my computer?

I'm using a PC with 64 bit Windows 10 OS. Sound card = IDC High Definition Audio CODEC (at least that's what's listed in the Device Manager).

Also, when I play the same unrendered tracks in Reaper through the monitors connected to the 2i4, I'm pretty sure the separation is gone too. But I have to check this out more carefully.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post a sample of your rendered file. That will let us help you determine if it's in the rendering process or not. Be sure you're rendering a stereo file.

Thanks bouldersoundguy- I've determined the audio file (.wav or .mp3 formats) has been rendered properly and the issue is with my how my computer delivers sound through the headphones jack.

I re-check and fixed the problem I had losing the pan values when playing the unrendered Reaper tracks through the monitors connected to the 2i4. I had simply connected the cables to the wrong jacks in my PA. After that fix I played the rendered file through the 2i4/monitors, and then through the computer speakers and determined that the separation was retained in both cases. So it's now just the sound coming out of the headphones that lacks separation. Sorry for the false alarm on the Reaper rendering but at least I'm getting somewhere....

I looked at the headphone output properties and changed the Default Format in the Advanced tab from DVD Quality to Studio Quality (2 channel, 16 bit, 88200 Hz). When I hit the test button I hear tones in the left ear, then tones in the right, which is great! (under DVD Quality there's little or no separation). So having done this I thought the problem was solved until I listened to the rendered audio file again with the same headphones and still no separation. And I checked to make sure I hit "apply" after making the Default Format change. Any ideas or is this a question more for a Windows 10 forum?

By the way, as you can tell, I'm pretty much all set to go and the headphone issue is minor but it's still going to be a real pain if I can't listen with headphones to the recordings I make and hear exactly the effects I've tried to create in the rendered .wav or .mp3 file.

Thanks again!

I've attached a simple little test audio file (.mp3 format) so you can hear that the Reaper rendered audio file does in fact retain separation. Rhythm guitar panned 100% right side and lead guitar panned 100% left side.

Attachments

• Test Two Guitars 20160924.mp3
    375.9 KB · Views: 7
When doing audio stuff, you are probably doing all monitoring (including headphone monitoring) through the interface. It sounds like you have headphones plugged into your PC's own headphone socket.

The interface is specifically designed for audio recording and playback, and is the place where you will get the most consistent and accurate representation of your sound.

Good point gecko. For my recording purposes keeping the headphones plugged into the interface is definitely the way to go. It still seems odd that the headphones plugged into the computer ignore the panning values. ?

"I'm using a PC with 64 bit Windows 10 OS. Sound card = IDC High Definition Audio CODEC (at least that's what's listed in the Device Manager)."

Whaaa!!?? The 2i4 should be listed in DM and as Default record and play device AND in Reaper as an ASIO device. I would get that all sorted then disable IDC HD CODEC in DMang.

Cannot help about the panning SNAFU but I am pretty sure about the rest!

Dave.

Thanks for pointing that out Dave. Not to worry though. The 2i4 does show up in the device manager when connected to my computer. I just included the information about the sound card in case someone was going to tell me I need to install a better one to solve the lack of separation coming through headphones connected to my computer. Seems odd that I can't just play on my computer the .mp3 file I've created and hear it through headphones just as I recorded it.

By the way, I've tried multiple headphones and ear buds so they're not the problem.

As mentioned in a previous post, this is admittedly a minor issue and not worth hassling folks on this forum about. I'll pursue it on a Windows 10 forum and see what I can learn.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'll probably be back with presumably more sophisticated questions once I do a little more home recording!

Try playing any old MP3 or WAV file and listen to it both ways . . . through interface and through computer . . . and see if there is a difference.

It could be a mechanical problem, i.e. headphone plug not sitting corredctly in headphone socket, or it could be a proble with internal sound settings.

But, as Dave said above, do all your work through the interface: tracking, playing back, general listening. If you pursue recording seriously, this is the way to go anyway.

Back