New and renew equipment doubt

jorsai

Hi all, my alias is Jorsai and I am new here.

I have never posted at any forum, so this is my first time.

I have updated my homestudio and I am out of date.
I had: old Pro Tools and Logic with an old MAC Pro, with an avid audio interface.

So now I have bought a new MAC because I needed.
The new mac is the most powerfull because I want it alive for 15-20 years.
The OS System I have is Sierra 10.12 (not High Sierra).
The DAW I am going to use for now is Logic Pro X 10.4 just bought.
Now I am looking for an audio interface compatible. I used to have 2-4 audio interfaces depending on my needs.
To start testing I will conformate with a 2-4 inputs and 1-2 stereo outputs (phantom included).

I have googled a lot but I can not understand wich interfaces are compatible with Logic Pro X 10.4, OSX Sierra 10.12 and probably in a nearly future ProTools 12.

Anyone could recommend me about those questions?
I am an old man and Internet and I are not the best friends.

Thank you all a lot.

If it's a brand new Mac then just about any interface on the market should work, but you might need an adapter for the Thunderbolt port, if that's all you have on that system. Which model Mac did you get?

I'm using an old Focusrite interface with my old Mac Mini running Sierra. There's probably no need to upgrade to High Sierra, but it will save you the constant nag from Apple. I upgraded my 2010 MacBook Pro to High Sierra just because I'm on it most of the time and got tired of the popup. (The Mini is off the WiFi more than on so it's not quite as bothersome there, though I suspect I'll make the move there someday, too.)

I bought an iMac Pro.

(The forum says that I am not allowed to post links until I have post more. I am posting it but without the https : // w w w)
Just found this website (sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/sierra-mac-os-10-12-compatibility-information/) but is so tedious find the information I want.
I readed that High Sierra has now a lot of incompatibilities with drivers and audio interfaces, so this is the reason because I get Sierra.

Found 2 interfaces to star working but I do not know if it will be compatible.

thomann.de/es/motu_4_pre.htm
thomann.de/es/prod_AR_407306.html

Just readed one post on internet about incompatibilities of the Mackie with Sierra.
Why is this so difficult? I sent emails to a lot of audio interfaces companies to buy and get info about an interface without response.

(Sorry for my English)

And thank you

The thing about new OS releases is you will always find a lot of incompatibility threads and reports from people who are trying their luck before an official driver is released.
Motu have an official announcement on their downloads page right now, which lists the 4pre as being High Sierra compatible.

It's always good to find some a first hand account from someone else using your software+hardware but I'd keep an eye on the date of the thread. ;)
If the manufacture has explicitly stated that X hardware is compatible with Y OS, you should be good.

Focusrite has an OS Compatibility Checker page. (Set to my interface shows it's not 100% a happy match with High Sierra, so my reluctance to upgrade that system. Guess I need to carry the old MacBook Pro upstairs and see how it really behaves.)

OS Compatibility Checker | Focusrite

The site shows High Sierra is Ok for the Clarett line (Thunderbolt and USB) as well as the Scarlett USB interfaces.

I haven't used either of those yet, but have been satisified with my old [Firewire] Saffire.

Welcom, Jorsai.

Most audio interfaces will be compatible with an iMac Pro and Sierra. What's keeping a lot of manufacturers from responding to your mail, is probably the iMac Pro. They don't have one to test with and they are cautious cause it is the only machine from Apple that runs a custom OS. Only when you upgrade to the latest High Sierra version, it's the same OS as other Macs. I don't advise you to upgrade, as some people still have problems with High Sierra and audio interfaces.

I don't know your budget and I also don't know how many channels you need, but in my mind the best drivers come from RME. Their interfaces are kind of pricey, but they last longer because RME still makes drivers for their oldest gear. Even a PCI card from 20 years ago still runs with the latest drivers!

And I wouldn't worry too much about compatibility. Try buying from a shop that offers exchange if it doesn't work out?

The one problem you have is choosing between a Thunderbolt 3 connected interface, a USB3 one, or via a UBS-C adapter. I expect the Thunderbolt connection to work best. USB3 limits the choice a bit. And adapters might be problematic, unless you buy Apple adapters.

The one problem you have is choosing between a Thunderbolt 3 connected interface, a USB3 one, or via a UBS-C adapter. I expect the Thunderbolt connection to work best. USB3 limits the choice a bit. And adapters might be problematic, unless you buy Apple adapters.
The current iMac Pro has 4 USB 3.0 ports and 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, so just any USB 2.0/3.0 interface will be fine to connect without an adapter.

But, with the budget for a iMac Pro, I'd be tempted to at least try out a Thunderbolt 3 capable interface because of their advertised "zero" latency. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a lot of USB 3.0 interfaces, which should be sufficiently fast to make the same claim. UA and RME have them, I think, though, so also worth a look.

But, with the budget for a iMac Pro, I'd be tempted to at least try out a Thunderbolt 3 capable interface because of their advertised "zero" latency.

If they're advertising zero latency there's either a * to say "we actually just mean really low", or they're talking about direct monitoring.
If the data bus type is in the equation, the outcome will never be zero, as far as I know.

If they're advertising zero latency there's either a * to say "we actually just mean really low", or they're talking about direct monitoring.
If the data bus type is in the equation, the outcome will never be zero, as far as I know.
Ok, UA is advertised as "ultra-low" (under 2ms) and Focusrite Clarett says 1.67ms round-trip (how's that for accuracy!). I misspoke, but I know I can't hear 2ms latency!

Okey, thank you a lot you all for the recommendations.

I have a preamp for instruments and voices that allows direct monitoring, so the Thunderbolt is not a priority for me.
And I saw the Thunderbolt interfaces are more expensive than normal 3.0 USB's.

The most information I have found in its website is about Focursite and MOTU, that tolds keith.rogers and Steenamaroo , so clear information.
Focursite and MOTU has +1 points for me.

And I will try to get more information about the Mackie Big Knob Studio+ to replace my very old analogic studio mixer, because it has integrated microphone to comunication and 3 speakers out.

You are all so kind to help an old man to keep rocking!

The current iMac Pro has 4 USB 3.0 ports and 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports, so just any USB 2.0/3.0 interface will be fine to connect without an adapter.

But, with the budget for a iMac Pro, I'd be tempted to at least try out a Thunderbolt 3 capable interface because of their advertised "zero" latency. Surprisingly, I haven't seen a lot of USB 3.0 interfaces, which should be sufficiently fast to make the same claim. UA and RME have them, I think, though, so also worth a look.

USB3 specs are a mess, especially for audio. One example is USB1.1 UAC audio interfaces. Most, if not all, work with USB2 ports. Only a few work with USB3 ports. Maybe that's also the reason why Microsoft decided not to include USB3 UAC drivers in Win10?

Ok, UA is advertised as "ultra-low" (under 2ms) and Focusrite Clarett says 1.67ms round-trip (how's that for accuracy!). I misspoke, but I know I can't hear 2ms latency!

LOL. I sounded pickier than I meant to there.
Quite often they zero latency with reference to direct monitoring and it can fool people.
Like saying 'zero added sugar' when really there was a shitload in it to start with. :p

I know nothing of macs but if you possibly can I would go for RME. Everything else seems to have some sort of problem somewhere, sometime and as was said, THEY don't leave you with junk when the OS gets changed!

Dave.

My most recent Mac is from 2009. I see no reason to buy newer, as it is not essentially faster. And I work on newer ones at work. These just seem buggier.

My oldest one in daily use is around 12 years old. It's a G5 PPC and it runs Reaper 5, with an TME FF400. It easily records 18 channels...

I have another one that's close to 18 years old, but that's only in use occasionally, when SCSI disks need to be recovered. And that only happens once a year on average.

If you are interested in something like Big Knob Studio from Mackie I told you yesterday, I have recieved an answer from Mackie: "Yes, the Big Knob is compatible with 10.12.6 and Logic Pro X 10.4. The Big Knob Studio is Class Compliant, meaning it will work on Mac OS as a Mac Core Audio device, no drivers necessary. ".

I think I am going to get that one. Is new and works with the Mac Core Audio, so no drivers are neccessary. :D

Thank you all for your help guys!

Why not? My current computer is '09 and I'm praying for the same again out of it. Doubt I'll get that, though. ;)

My Dell workstation is from 09. I bought is used as a refurb, but they didn't really refurb anything 'cept to clean it up.

I've gone that road before. Quite often 'refurb' means over ordered and returned.
Even if the box is sealed, they can't be sold as new.

Is your Dell Xeon? Some of those have held up really well, performance wise.
My box is 12 core x5650/24gb/gtx970

The only thing I'd half like is Sata3 but my present drives top out at around sata2 limits anyway so, I'm good for a while. :)

Back