New to the recording world

SHECKYSHAB

Hi to All,
I am new at this so be gentle.
I was recording with a great guy and unfortunately he has passed away, God rest his soul he was the greatest.
I bought a bunch of used Sony MDM-X4 units and I am having fun with them but I am lost.
My question is simple
Where can I learn the most about recording with them, I tried u-tube to no avail, and where can I get them repaired, Sony does not repair them any longer.
Thanks

The good news is that recording with them isn't really any different than recording with anything else. If you're looking for a manual, I just saw one with a manual currently sitting at $20 on e-bay.

The not-as-good news is that thing was around for about 5 minutes before it was obsolete. Repairs to circuitry *might* still be possible, but the parts for the transport probably haven't even been made for 10 years.

and where can I get them repaired, Sony does not repair them any longer.
Thanks
[MENTION=174130]drtechno[/MENTION] in my opinion, is the one who could maybe solve your problems with repairs. He is pretty well the top authority in this community, as well as the www, concerning these matters. Sorry about your loss.

Ok so now we have established that this unit is old
So any suggestions for a Newbie on what software to start off with to do my home recording?

Hi [MENTION=194333]SHECKYSHAB[/MENTION]
If you're starting from scratch then you'll need hardware and software, assuming a computer based set up.
There are also plenty of other digital portable/all in one solutions if that appeals to you.

Tell us more about yourself.
What gear do you have? What sort of music do you make?
What's your process? One person-one track at a time? Multitracks/mics simultaneously?

If you want to go the software route, do you have a computer? What it is? OS version?

Anything you think might be relevant will help. :)

Shopping wise, location is useful too.

Hi Steenamaroo,
Ok here we go.
I am a singer I want to use my tracks that I sing to, to make new cds of myself.
I have purchased a focusrite Scarlet 18i8
I have a pc that I downloaded reaper to.
I have a akg mike
I have the sony mdm x 4 recorders
I am looking for a reverb unit and a compressor, can I use the ones that are on my rcf mixer?
Thanks

What is the MDM X4 going to be used for? If you have a Scarlet interface and Reaper, you're good to go. Use software compression and reverb, the effects included with Reaper are just fine.

Back