New to recording, problems with my Sennheiser e609

XDXC420X

I'm brand new here, just signed up. I've been messing around with recording electric guitar at home for a while now with a usb microphone and just recently upgraded to a Sennheiser e609 running through a scarlet solo. I mainly use Audacity at the moment. No matter what I try, I can't seem to get the mic to pick up my guitar at a very loud level. I've messed around with the gain on the interface, my cabinet, recording program, and have the e609 positioned only an inch and a half away from my cabinet speakers. it seems like no matter what I do there isn't a way to adjust the input volume. please help!

Hi there and welcome.

Does adjusting the gain literally do nothing, or is it just not going as loud as you'd like?
If the gain is working but just not loud enough for you, what are the readings on the meters in your software?

You're using an XLR to XLR cable between mic and interface, yes?
XLR to jack is no good.

Hi there and welcome.

Does adjusting the gain literally do nothing, or is it just not going as loud as you'd like?
If the gain is working but just not loud enough for you, what are the readings on the meters in your software?

You're using an XLR to XLR cable between mic and interface, yes?
XLR to jack is no good.

I am using XLR-XLR, and Ive adjusted the gain on the interface. The highest I can take it without it going red (on the interface) is about 3/4ths of the way up. I've tried adjusting both volume and gain on my cabinet with no results. The mic input readings on the software show green and the meter fills up also about 3/4ths of the way. Any higher on he interface and the sound crackles and breaks.

Do you get a modulation waveform and meter level as per the attachment?

If so your loudness problem is in the monitoring chain.

If you cannot get near those levels even tho the Solo is showing a good signal, you have something setup wrongly in Windows Sounds.

Dave.

Attachments

• Audacity level.png
    Audacity level.png
    214.7 KB · Views: 11
You should be recording in the -18dB to -12dB range. Many novices believe they need to be near the red clipping stage - that's an old analog (tape) requirement.

Back