New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

hi, i'm a guy from Belgium who found this forum coz I have some questions, but I cant post a link in a new thread so I'm just saying "hi", hoping that having a few posts will remove this particular restriction

OK, here's what I'm dealing with.

I'm a lifelong voice talent seeking to set up a home studio. I have what I believe to be adequate equipment to make it happen but the issue of getting voice from the microphone through the processor and mixer to the computer is confusing to me. I'm not an engineer and therefore don't understand a lot of the terminology I've seen in the user manuals and forums for what I have available.

I'm using an Electro-Voice RE20 microphone and need to know how to route the cables from the mic through a dbx 286A processor and a Mackie 1202 VLZ Pro mixer to the sound card (X-Fi Titanium) of my computer.

I don't understand what the term "insert" means.

I'm a definite neophyte.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
Bill

"Insert" is an In/Out that interrupts signal so you can "insert" a device like a compressor or an EQ. I'd use the DBX straight to the computer.

Hi Guys, Aussie here, Will in Sydney; 45yo guitarist (I wish!) getting into looping and starting to have some modest success - in that I am enjoying myself immensely.

At least what I've found is that when I am working in Live I literally disappear into the music I'm creating - for the first time in my life I have felt like I am exploring the musical landscape and playing my instrument rather than just reproducing mechanical patterns I've learned by rote.

I started Guitar many years ago in college and it's never really left me but I do tend to find I don't practice seriously. never having had a band or anyone else to play with has left me with awful sense of timing and composition lol - but once I got a midi keyboard (old Alesis Phaser X-25) and Komplete Audio 6 plugged into my Macbook Pro running Ableton Live Intro I found myself completely enveloped in the soundscapes and with the metronome and drums I was able to start laying down guitar tracks that necessarily had to be played in time - so finally I began to feel like I was progressing on more than just a technical level.

My inspirations are broad and eclectic but the stuff I am working on myself is very much an ambient/atmospheric electronic kind of soundscape which builds with swelling chords and strings to carry a guitar line. Think Vangelis/Jarré/Oldfield/Floyd cinematic style instrumentals.

I play a red US Strat with maple neck, a Martin D1 and a fantastic Kramer slim body acoustic with an electric neck (pickups no longer work). I have an expression pedal on the way but not really any fancy equipment.

Anyway, I'm needing a community that I can learn from about Live and midi. So, here I am. Looking forward to getting the most out of my gear and instruments at last!

Cheers,
Will

Last edited:
Hello!
My name's Al..(Hi AL). I'm a guitaraholic. I used to have lots of guitars but I'm sober now, I only have 3 now...and have for about 18 years. But I haven't been playing much until lately. The death of a childhood friend and member of my first garage band spurred me into action.
So I purchased a used Tascam dp-03 to record on. And I recorded some neat little songs, but I have a problem...so I'll post that in the proper section.
I help I can get some help to realize a dream I've procrastinated on for a long time.

Last edited:
Hello! My name is Alex Butler I'm from Trenton, Canada. I work in the office as a manager, I get a second education in parallel, I play PC games, I play guitar and I like alternative music.

Write me and we go to chat ))

epichord! I swear you could be me!!!

lol! Have you joined the Ableton User Group? I didn't even know there was one!
Scroll down on the top page (list of top level discussions) go down to I think
"By Brands" (meaning software / hardware) and you'll see the Ableton Group.
Already helped me more than I can say...

WE are too much alike reading your story! I'm 60, starterd with guitar @9y/o,
took up keyboards around 30y/o and (one difference) had been a LOCAL touring
band leader (twice) with 2 groups. I had people problems; they didn't want to WORK!

Anyway I'm right with you on recording myself, although for timing purposes, I've played
and practiced a great deal of time in my life...

WAIT until you discover "Warp" which can help you immensely when you record that
"ALMOST PERFECT track that's just a little bit off right... there!" You don't have to
re-record it. Abletons "clip warp" and "quantization" will help a lot (automatically!)
with timing issues.

WE should be "friends" here!

Hello!
My name's Al..(Hi AL). I'm a guitaraholic. I used to have lots of guitars but I'm sober now, I only have 3 now...and have for about 18 years. But I haven't been playing much until lately. The death of a childhood friend and member of my first garage band spurred me into action.
So I purchased a used Tascam dp-03 to record on. And I recorded some neat little songs, but I have a problem...so I'll post that in the proper section.
I help I can get some help to realize a dream I've procrastinated on for a long time.

Hey! Glad too see someone with a sense of humor like you (us!) good luck and dig!
There's a ton of good advice here from actual pro's! (Not me, really serious pro's!)
Thanks for the giggle; I'm a guitaraholic too!

I LIKE 4:20! lmao!
Sorry, this should have been posted as a reply to Track Rat!
Can't delete a post ??? I dont' know how!

Damn newbies (meaning me!)

Last edited:
Hey! Glad too see someone with a sense of humor like you (us!) good luck and dig!
There's a ton of good advice here from actual pro's! (Not me, really serious pro's!)
Thanks for the giggle; I'm a guitaraholic too!

And about the fact that I registered no one noticed yes? (

---------- Update ----------

Hi all, I'm a composer and producer from the UK with a borderline obsession with synths and sound design.

Hi Tom!

Hey, I'm Alex. I have been a DJ for quiet a few years now, touched my first decks since I was 14. Over the last few years my love for Dub Techno grew so much, that I want to produce my own, so I started to build a home studio and started fairly small with just FL Studio, my Novation Launchkey 49MK2 and the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and a Microphone. I hope to get some Analog gear in the future and put out amazing recordings with my family which turned out to be nearly all great musicians. Guitarists, Pianists and weird other Instruments. Thank Auto Tune since nobody of us can do any Vocals. :laughings:

Hello, my names Conan, I'm 28, and from Canvey Island, Essex, in the UK.

I enjoy most genres of music, and produce mainly Metal, rock, Grime, hip hop, and D'n'B.

I did study at the British academy of new music in London when I was in my late teens, but unfortunately have been very ill since then and it has impacted my memory badly, so I have forgotten the majority of what I learnt.

I bought a 15" MacBook Pro 5 days ago, along with Logic to keep me occupied as I recover, and after. I already have most of my set up, such as Interface, Microphone, sets of headphones, leads, instruments etc, the only thing I am missing is studio monitors.

I can't buy these until I choose which room to set up as my studio, I want to post asking which would be better but I can't upload photos yet.

I'm a bit slower at learning things due to what happened, but still really enjoy what I am doing, and my dream would be one day to own my own studio (professional, I already own a studio at home).

Even if I don't get there, I still will enjoy what I am doing, and look forward to talking to everyone here :)

Hi Conan........and welcome!! We all wish you well in your recovery and look forward to your progress...........both in your health and in your music. You've come to the right place. This site has lots of very talented and knowledgeable people. Keep us updated!

Hi my name is Abdelhak,I'm 22 years old, I study Electronic Engineering at University and i want to follow Sound Engineering, I don't know where i start so i hope i can get some help. Thank you

hello,

I'm new here. I wish to learn a lot from this forum. I'm just starting out. I just do home recording.
I play guitar and occasionally sings.
I only have a laptop, a cheap beginner audio interface, a pair of speakers and a headphone.:)

And I am very happy being here.

Once again thanks for accepting me one among you.,

It' s my pleasure being here.

So I want to share my knowledge with you.

Thank you!

Back