New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Hi There
Total newbie here, was a pro musician in my teens and twenties, put the guitar down for thirty years and recently picked it up and started collecting some of the guitars I always wanted to play. Bought a Line 6 Spider Jam, a 75wt modeling amp with 100 or so jam tracks to play along to and lots of tones and effects to play around with.
I picked up a Boss BR-80 and starting to explore recording with it.
Presently looking to replace my older desktop PC with a new Laptop so I suppose I will be begging for info on requirements on that next.
Thanks for having me, maybe I can contribute when I get my feet wet
Cheers
DuFf

Problem found: Too many projects on the SSDs, overflow from MX View so MX View crashed. Cut down the projects on each SSD.

Problem found: Too many projects on the SSDs, overflow from MX View so MX View crashed. Cut down the projects on each SSD.

Kind of looks like you replied on wrong thread Bysky... I'll look into it. :)

It seems no. Just a page turn on this introduction thread.

Not a big deal but you should in future start a new thread when asking a specific question so others can benefit from it.

Welcome! :D

Welcome! Just joined myself. There's lots of folks here who r returning to writing and recording after a long time away from it. I look forward to reading your posts. :guitar:

Welcome! Just joined myself. There's lots of folks here who r returning to writing and recording after a long time away from it. I look forward to reading your posts. :guitar:

Many members here help when we can. I know I have learned a ton and made a few really close friends as well. All good! :guitar:

Hi There
Total newbie here, was a pro musician in my teens and twenties, put the guitar down for thirty years and recently picked it up and started collecting some of the guitars I always wanted to play. Bought a Line 6 Spider Jam, a 75wt modeling amp with 100 or so jam tracks to play along to and lots of tones and effects to play around with.
I picked up a Boss BR-80 and starting to explore recording with it.
Presently looking to replace my older desktop PC with a new Laptop so I suppose I will be begging for info on requirements on that next.
Thanks for having me, maybe I can contribute when I get my feet wet
Cheers
DuFf

Hi Duff and welcome. I would think seriously whether to go laptop or build a new desktop?

Much depends upon your aspirations and how your requirements might change in the future but, although laptops can be very powerful they are a bit 'fixed' . You can upgrade memory, a bit, but are usually stuck with one hard drive and changing the CPU is not an easy proposition.

Then, so long as you are going 'PC' there is Thunderbolt to consider. Not many MOBOs around that support TB3 as yet AFAIK and TB is THE up and coming, ultra low latency protocol although people like RME are doing wonders with USB and their products are probably all even the most serious project recordist might need?

I would think about an i5 mainframe, SSD for OS and DAW (recording software) then a 1/2Tb spinner for backup/samples. TB3 MOBO capability if you can find/afford it. PCIe slots for extra USB 3.0 ports.

Then, buy a cheap lappy for infernalnet/'office' work.

Dave.

Hi Duff and welcome. I would think seriously whether to go laptop or build a new desktop?

Much depends upon your aspirations and how your requirements might change in the future but, although laptops can be very powerful they are a bit 'fixed' . You can upgrade memory, a bit, but are usually stuck with one hard drive and changing the CPU is not an easy proposition.

Dave.

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply and info.
The above quote is about all I can understand :-)
The laptop would be used for work and the portability is a concern.
I was told a Gaming laptop with SSD / 8- 12mg would be sufficient to rum basic music rec. software.
the Boss BR 80 is an interface.
I imagine a friend could build or recommend a new desktop some time in the future if I develop some talent or advanced interest.
Thanks for the welcome and taking the time to reply
DuFf

Hi fellow newbies. I am only a newbie because I have a day job and a family and hence very little time to record. My first experience with recording was when a guitarist friend of mine invited me to a studio recording session back in the 1970's. He said that the producer wanted to add one last element to a session and asked me to bring my harmonicas. The recording was of a gospel singer who was crossing over to R&B. We listened to the track once and then my friend recorded a slide guitar track. Then the producer gave me headphones and told me to go outside into the stairwell. Since this was in a loft, in a commercial building from the 1920's, the stairs were marble and cavernous - a natural reverb chamber. I did my thing, came back in, and he said "that's it, that's it". When he used my take instead of my friend's I knew that that would be the last time I would be invited by my friend to a recording session.

Over the years, I have used Cakewalk, Acid, Reaper, and now use Pro Tools. I am hoping to learn all I can about recording, mixing and mastering. I play guitar, bass, harmonica and sing. I look forward to meeting and sharing with all of you.

Hey ya'll. Sortof a born again newbie. Was on this forum many moons ago and life changed my direction. But alas my wonderful wife has bought me the gift of recording and I'm getting my groove back! Hope to see some old friends and meet some new ones!

Hi Dave, thanks for the reply and info.
The above quote is about all I can understand :-)
The laptop would be used for work and the portability is a concern.
I was told a Gaming laptop with SSD / 8- 12mg would be sufficient to rum basic music rec. software.
the Boss BR 80 is an interface.
I imagine a friend could build or recommend a new desktop some time in the future if I develop some talent or advanced interest.
Thanks for the welcome and taking the time to reply
DuFf

Sorry about the 'boggling', I CAN go on a bit! Ok, so laptop it is then. The word "gaming" causes backs of hands to go to foreheads here! Yes, they are often PDQ machine but bloated with software junk you don't need and can slow down/cause glitches for audio use. If you don't NEED the games I would get them off it. The rest of the specc' seems fine. SSD great but how big? You need to put OS on it obviously and the DAW, the recording software but I strongly advise you to get a 1Tbyte or bigger USB external drive to use as backup (Google 'Imaging Software' Macrium is good) and to store songs and samples. Might as well get USB 3.0.

If you MUST have the games you could setup the machine to have a separate 'account' for music that would not, AFAIK, open all the gaming crap?

Dave.

Thanks again Dave
and sorry for some confusion, remove back of hand from forehead.
I am not a gamer......I only mentioned a Gaming Laptop because it was recommended as a good platform for audio and could be faster than some business and personal machines.
I am total newb just looking for a laptop that has decent components for sound recording etc.
I have a Boss BR-80 as an interface but need a laptop with capabilities to run recording applications.
Thanks for any suggestions in that regard. It could be a $1,000 gaming laptop is overkill for what I need.

Presently reading past threads and posts on these forums to answer some questions that have already been asked here. Wow...so much information and helpful members here.

DuFf

Last edited:
Hi all, I am pretsnor. 25 year old biologist, and hobby musician. Used to play in a rock band, then went to Ableton for some electronic production. Ableton was too overwhelming for me, so I recently purchased a second hand Yamaha 4 track cassette recorder with the plan to produce ambient music.

Hey, I'm Mailbox from Ontario, Canada.

I sing lead vocals for the heavy metal band Devilz By Definition and also do some hip hop as a fun side project.

I have recently jumped head first into the world of producing and mixing from a home studio so i will definitely be a very active member here.

Cheers ??

Hey everyone,
I'm a drummer from Kansas City Missouri. I also play guitar (badly) and I'm mainly recording demos and song ideas. Currently I'm just using Amplitube 4 with it's built in DAW through an iRig Duo. I have a Roland TD-15 kit that I track drums with.

Thanks for all the knowledge!

Hey, I'm Mailbox from Ontario, Canada.

I sing lead vocals for the heavy metal band Devilz By Definition and also do some hip hop as a fun side project.

I have recently jumped head first into the world of producing and mixing from a home studio so i will definitely be a very active member here.

Cheers ����

Hi there! You might be interested in a short series of articles about recording Heavy Metal in Sound on Sound Magazine last month and this.

Dave.

Hello!

My name is Jeroen and I love music!
I'm a mixing engineer for WooolfSounds.com
I love working with DIY home recording artists and I love giving home recording advice. Also always eager to learn more!
Favourite genres: most 'alternative' genres like Indie pop/rock, post-punk, new/no/dark wave, synth pop/electropop, punk, metal, ...

Grtz!

Hello ! new here ! I'm learning to mix , either for my own music (guitarrist) and for friends of mine.

I started to try to mix few monthes ago.

Hope to learn and contribute

Hello all. Just registered and wanted to say hey to you all. Getting my first R2R in a days. Teac X1000R. I don't have a clue about reel to reels so I'm hoping to learn a few things from you all. it should be an adventure for sure.

Back