New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Wow Hey I just realized something; I don't think I ever posted an introduction here!
Ok... I'm more than old school, as my "Handle" (OldMegaNerd) may impart, I'm old period! (60).
I started playing guitar when I was nine, and I remember my mother throwing her shoes at my bedroom door to make me stop playing and come down for dinner! I got one of the first pairs of amplified headphones and after that I was M.I.A. for years. I actually played in the bathroom while I was "going" so to speak...

After several bands, two of which were phenomenal, massively talented, and got screwed up because of massive egos, "playing when we should have been working on polishing our act," getting plastered BEFORE we practiced the same twelve songs... for four months... that we never played the same way twice, I became disillusioned. I began trying to put together a band I had some control over, but with no "paycheck" money, that proved impossible. I got a Korg N5 and started "doubling" on synth, but there again I had to deal with the ever present HUMAN factor. Uniquely frustrating! Time slide to a year ago; I decided that after 50+ years of song writing I was gonna "D.I.Y." my :poop:

After playing with Audacity to cut my teeth on, Ponying up the dough for Live9, a Scarlett 2i2 and a few other critical pieces of hardware (Phones, Mikes & monitors) I was broke but recording and mixing like a "mad scientist!"

Great people here, THANKS SO MUCH! You guys / gals have already helped me with a few common problems and I will be glad to contribute for posterity!

First time posting on here, I'm just starting out in the home recording domain, been enjoying it so far, the warts and all haha. Not sure what direction to go in, super into lo-fi garage-y electro/organic vibes. From punk rock to world beats kind of a thing. I suppose I should list my gear? Where does one go from here?

First time posting on here, I'm just starting out in the home recording domain, been enjoying it so far, the warts and all haha. Not sure what direction to go in, super into lo-fi garage-y electro/organic vibes. From punk rock to world beats kind of a thing. I suppose I should list my gear? Where does one go from here?

Welcome. You can list your gear in your signature. Go to my profile and look for it. I am on my iPhone and when I get back I will give a better explanation.

Hi everyone!!! So nice to have discovered this forum. I am a complete and total newbie when it comes to home recording, but it looks like I have come to the right place.

I have been doing online study groups for the past several years, building up a semi-lucrative side gig that I am strongly considering jumping over to full time in the very near future. My recording has been limited to signing into my webinar software, wearing my microphone headset, and pressing the record button. Easy peasy!

In looking ahead to ways to expand and diversify my revenue, I'm thinking of doing some online courses (on a third party site) and maybe a podcast. I figured if I go that route, I need to step up my gameplan for knowledge and skills and create a bit of a home studio. I'm not looking to go all whole hog with a huge investment, but I want to get maximum bang for my buck for whatever I end up doing.

I'll be poking around the site and checking out the voluminous amount of threads and I'm sure I'll have some questions even afterwards.

Thanks for being so generous with your time and knowledge, everyone!

Hi everyone!!! So nice to have discovered this forum. I am a complete and total newbie when it comes to home recording, but it looks like I have come to the right place.

I have been doing online study groups for the past several years, building up a semi-lucrative side gig that I am strongly considering jumping over to full time in the very near future. My recording has been limited to signing into my webinar software, wearing my microphone headset, and pressing the record button. Easy peasy!

In looking ahead to ways to expand and diversify my revenue, I'm thinking of doing some online courses (on a third party site) and maybe a podcast. I figured if I go that route, I need to step up my gameplan for knowledge and skills and create a bit of a home studio. I'm not looking to go all whole hog with a huge investment, but I want to get maximum bang for my buck for whatever I end up doing.

I'll be poking around the site and checking out the voluminous amount of threads and I'm sure I'll have some questions even afterwards.

Thanks for being so generous with your time and knowledge, everyone!

Welcome. I am into Podcast production myself. There is a forum in the community for this. Any questions just ask away.

Hello

I am Alega and new to everything with music production and most og the technical stuff BUT I learn fast:)
I listen to almost every kind og music.
For the moment I am working most with ambient and electronica.

Nica to meet you:)

Hi, my name is Jye. I've been playing guitars for over 20 years now :-)eek:). My wife is a singer, my son plays drums.

I'm very passionate about music. I'm using Presonus Studio One 3 and am loving my venture so far. I've had it for bit over a year now. Looking forward to getting to know you all. Thanks.

I've been away for a while. I consider myself new to recording, because I am really behind the curve. Mostly i have recorded on 4 and 8 tracks. I loved folky stuff in the beginning, but the only bands to join were hard rock, so off i went. Recently I found that it's easier to transfer recorded tracks to reaper and I have alot to learn on Reaper.

For me, tracking on a separate recorder and then transferring seems to work. My set up is very minimal, and i consider myself lo-fi. I use a behringer v-amp straight in or mic up a 10 watt amp.

I record bass straight in. I'll use a drummer over the internet or program on pcdrummer with real drum samples. I like the technology, but now i have the itch to get into drum machines, the classics. I started with a bossdr50 i think. I like simplicity. My only mic is a Shure SM57.

I'm not ashamed to say that I have a massive debt problem that i'm dealing with, but music has never left my side. After high school, i played in a few bands, and briefly had my own trio playing originals, zeppelin, maiden, hendrix and even spinal tap (big bottom, i think?). As I got older, I became more of an individualist, and potential band members seemed to have their hand out for money. I didn't want the pressure of being a provider. I worked my share of $#!+ jobs, but settled on a yard service, because i'm a lone wolf, who doesn't want to work for the man:)

Now I'm looking to decrease my time out in the field and spend more time on music. I'd like to rerecord some oldies, new stuff, learn some tricks and keep going. That's why I'm here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx This site looks very old. Is there anybody out there ? Looking to try to set up a small recording possibility for just myself. Want to play guitar and keyboard as well as get a drum machine from someone. I need a 4 channel audio interface, I bought Reaper yesterday for my DAW program. Dont think I need a Pro Tools or something that good but maybe I am too uneducated at this point. That's why I'
m here. To pick your brain. Thanks Joe

Thanx This site looks very old. Is there anybody out there ? Looking to try to set up a small recording possibility for just myself. Want to play guitar and keyboard as well as get a drum machine from someone. I need a 4 channel audio interface, I bought Reaper yesterday for my DAW program. Dont think I need a Pro Tools or something that good but maybe I am too uneducated at this point. That's why I'
m here. To pick your brain. Thanks Joe

Looks old? Hmm... Are you judging the members or the look of the site? lol!

I wonder if you found the site from an old post?

There are many members here who use Reaper. Look to that forum or the Reaper forum itself. I am not a user of Reaper so I can't help much with direct information with that DAW.

Great Thanks Shall Do. And Yes the dates I saw were going back to 2009 so I thought this site had lost it's people. Good to know your out there !

Hello new victims! Welcome to HR. :)
@BrownClown812 , the forum's been around for a long time but click into the main forum page for listings of most recent post for each forum/subforum.

You're right, you don't need ProTools. Reaper's a great tool and covers most, if not all, home recording needs.
Reaper forum here gets a good bit of action so that's the place to be for help and support.

Hello, I've been doing a YT story telling channel for past year, got alot of notice. I started doing ACX but I'm totally stumped on the use of audio, I got audacity but....got alot to learn, any suggestions on where i can start?

thanks

Hello, I've been doing a YT story telling channel for past year, got alot of notice. I started doing ACX but I'm totally stumped on the use of audio, I got audacity but....got alot to learn, any suggestions on where i can start?

thanks

Good Morning. The biggest thing with the ACX is consistency. Maybe we can get the Mods to start an ACX sub forum off of the Podcasting forum since Audio books are in demand at this time. Can you list your audio gear? If you are going to use something like an ATR 2100 mic with Audacity without using an interface, you will be fighting an uphill battle. Most people will fail the noise floor level requirement.

Good Morning. The biggest thing with the ACX is consistency. Maybe we can get the Mods to start an ACX sub forum off of the Podcasting forum since Audio books are in demand at this time. Can you list your audio gear? If you are going to use something like an ATR 2100 mic with Audacity without using an interface, you will be fighting an uphill battle. Most people will fail the noise floor level requirement.

I messed around enough that the person told me everything was good excepted for the compression or something. I know what i need to fix just need to know what tools on it can be used. Currency i have a small micro phone that hangs on my shirt and audacity that all

I messed around enough that the person told me everything was good excepted for the compression or something. I know what i need to fix just need to know what tools on it can be used. Currency i have a small micro phone that hangs on my shirt and audacity that all

What mic do you use to record your audio with? If you are using your phone to record with and than using Audacity to process it, the person lied to you and you will never make it in the audio book industry. It is really just that simple. Their audio submission requirements are as tough as they come. This is an article I wrote concerning their requirements to help people who want to start a career in narration.

What mic do you use to record your audio with? If you are using your phone to record with and than using Audacity to process it, the person lied to you and you will never make it in the audio book industry. It is really just that simple. Their audio submission requirements are as tough as they come. This is an article I wrote concerning their requirements to help people who want to start a career in narration.

I really know nothing about this industry. But the fact that Mack Caster does, I would trust him or input here.

I surely would never recommend Audacity for anything. Surely no good presentation would come from using a basic audio editor like that and using a phone for recording is just silly IMO.

Back