New Members: Introduce Yourself Here!

Greetings from the North

New to the forum? Say hello, tell us a little about your self. Meet the gang :p

Welcome to HomeRecording Forum! :guitar:

First visit and post.

My name is Mike and I just finished building a small insulated room in the basement (with a lock on the door!) for all my gear. At last - a teenage-free room!

All my recording gear has been in storage for the past 6 years and while I am excited to "start from scratch" again, I fear for the expenses I'm about to incur. When I first patched together a small system back then I only recorded one quick song so, as previously stated, I will be starting from scratch. Was running an old Acer laptop (1 gig Celeron) running XP with M-Powered 8 and a Fast Track Pro.

Hope it all still works!

Hi
I'm new to recording and moderately clueless and hoping this forum will help! I'm mid-50s and an experienced amateur musician and play with various sized groups/bands/orchestras. Initial aim is to learn how I can record myself with a backing track (I know it's that basic). I'd also like ot be able to recordsoem of the groups I play with - we're talking acoustic/orchestral not amplified instruments (mostly) here.

I'm in the UK, northern end of the Midlands near Cheshire and Welsh borders.

Hi all,
Another noob here, just saying hey and that I look forward to getting to know some of you fine people and hopefully learn a few tricks that will help me in my quest for home recording mediocrity ? I've a few tracks that could use some proper constructive feedback on as friends just seem to blow smoke up my arse when asked to give an opinion lol, I'll try find the correct thread to put them and look forward to your views ??

All the best and Hello ?

Damian

How do you all do? I am Recluse. Forgive me, I am not only new to this forum, but am pretty new to forums in general. I chose my username because that is exactly how I am, and it's getting worse as I older. My goal is to work in my home in my basement using my voice. But, I am now at the point of building a recording studio in my basement. I got an estimate for building an 8 X 10 room and it was $1200.00 and that includes demo and haul away and everything. I was thrilled with that, for it's a friend from church. I was expecting two grand minimum just for construction. But, I know I can't just stop with the structure. I need sound absorbing, sound proofing, etc. I am not a musician. What are the differences between a recording studio for music vs. spoken word. I want to use my studio for podcasting; audiobook narration and production; and other voiceover work. What materials do I want on the walls, ceilings, and floors? Do I need sound proof or just sound absorbing or both? I have one shot at this. I want to get it right the first time.

How do you all do? I am Recluse. Forgive me, I am not only new to this forum, but am pretty new to forums in general. I chose my username because that is exactly how I am, and it's getting worse as I older. My goal is to work in my home in my basement using my voice. But, I am now at the point of building a recording studio in my basement. I got an estimate for building an 8 X 10 room and it was $1200.00 and that includes demo and haul away and everything. I was thrilled with that, for it's a friend from church. I was expecting two grand minimum just for construction. But, I know I can't just stop with the structure. I need sound absorbing, sound proofing, etc. I am not a musician. What are the differences between a recording studio for music vs. spoken word. I want to use my studio for podcasting; audiobook narration and production; and other voiceover work. What materials do I want on the walls, ceilings, and floors? Do I need sound proof or just sound absorbing or both? I have one shot at this. I want to get it right the first time.

I would first ask the question 'what do I actually need'. Then go from there.

8x10' with 8' ceiling is likely the worst size you could build a studio room in regards to buildup of frequencies. Do you need isolation from other noises in the home?

To acoustically treat a room that size without having the constant feel of sounding like you are in a box will be tough. You would likely be better off leaving the interior walls of the room open, filling with fluffy pink stuff and covering that with cloth. The reflections and room modes may kill the purpose of the room. It really depends on the purpose and the voice being recorded. Likely this size room will not be ideal for mixing or making judgments of final product audio quality, but may work for recording.

In a small space like that I would recommend you use a dynamic mic. SM7b with would be ideal from my experience. They work best with preamp or interface with 60dB or more of clean gain. Condenser mics tent to pick up the 'room' more than dynamic mics. EV RE-20 is also a good choice.

And oh yeah, you should start your own thread in the Studio Building & Acoustic Treatment forum. Or at least start reading there. :)

Welcome to Home Recording forums!

Jimmy

Last edited:
Hello everyone, i'm new to the forum. My name is Rigel and currently live in AR. I have a home studio and thought it'd be a good idea to join a forum and learn from as many people as possible. I am a DJ and a drummer for a group called Surreality (surreality-music). I play a variety of styles ranging from Swing to Progressive Rock. I will ask for everyone's patience in advance as I am still learning the recording side of things.

Glad to be here,

Rigel

Hey everyone,

I'm Alex, singer / songwriter of Grunge / 90s Alt Rock music. This forum is awesome and I cannot believe it took me this long to sign up! I don't know whether it's prudent to ask a question from the get go, but I was wondering if any one had any ideas of some vocal FX I could use (that are quite subtle) for bringing in a chorus that has virtually no harmonies. I've tried a megaphone / telephone lines effect, adding quiet but long reverb but nothing sits right in the mix and I can't visualise where I want to go with the vocal sound. Some general thoughts would be truly appreciated!

Thanks again for all the questions I've had answered from here without (criminal I know) signing up,

Hope to participate properly as much as I can from now on,

Alex

Climbing out of the stone age.....

Greetings,
My name is Jerome but I've been called Jerry most of my life. I'm a 58 year old 70's guitar head, converted over to several other instruments, and trying to get what I need to record some of what's been cluttering my head. We used to use 2 reel to reel decks to dub recordings in my basement when I was 18. Things have come a long way.
I've used primarily porta studios but recently started to try and learn computer based recording, hence why I have purchased Reaper. I hear the term 'Latency' a lot and have become familiar with it to a degree. I have a question if I may as a new member. I read where any more than 5 milliseconds of latency can start to cause delay between tracks. I experienced this time shift in when I put a guitar track down after a drum track. They weren't in sync.
My question is this. I have a HP 2.5 Ghz i5 core processor, 8gb of ram, I don't know the speed of the hard drive (1 tb). I did not load much else onto this machine to let most of it's memory and speed go to recording. I cannot take my sample rate up much past 100 or I surpass the dreaded 5 milliseconds of latency. If I try to run the sample rate at 256 or 512, I get pops, clicks and distortion.
Will a faster computer (3 to 4 ghz processor, 16 gbRam) allow me to run the sample rate higher without introducing more latency? That last part is important. Will a faster machine remedy Latency? I'm not sure which component is most responsible for the latency. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Hey guys, "Lineland" here, mid thirties from Arizona, self-taught keyboardist and electronic composer. You can check out some of my more recent ambient/psychedelic work here (and I wouldn't mind a few thoughts about it):

Solo stuff: https://soundcloud.com/eric-zak/sets/meditation-for-dogs

Early stuff as a member of a duo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcSKVVPB4O4

I think I've done pretty good for myself so far starting from basically nothing (low end gear, basically no training or experience), but I'll be wanting to push myself a little more to get some higher-quality technical results, though, so I look forward to interacting with everyone!

Hello everyone, I am James. New member of this forum. Just want to say hello to all the forum members. I am a music lover, that's why I am here. Hope all the forum members will help me.

Hi everybody. I play guitar and sing a little. Just bought a Tascam digital mixer / recorder and am in the process of carving out a basement studio space. I'm very new to recording and am interested in making sonic creations, so I am here to see what I can absorb from you all. Cheers - Eric Andrew.

Yo I am william. I love music and recording and everything involved. Influences include john frusciante, RHCP, hendrix, eddie kramer, rick rubin, nujabes, etc...
always looking for advice and ways to improve myself so constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Hey, thanks! That intro message made me feel all kinds of warm and fuzzy. Must be the tubes?... ack. too soon for bad jokes...
Anyway:
Hi, I'm Jon Cates. I've been recording music in many forms since 1995. Haven't had time to set up profile stuff yet but looking forward to jumping in to the discussions from both the "what do i do?" and the "lemme tell ya" perspectives.

I enjoy fishing, hiking and long walks on the beach.... apparently i am unable to quell my sarcasm.

but seriously, I'm an introvert who has pushed the world away most of my life to remain immersed in everything audio. Sound familiar? Yes, you too have a problem.

After my bouts with labels and professional musician-ship (hood?... ness?), i realized what i like most about all of it is that moment when things come together in the studio. The moment when all the notes, signal path and settings disappear and you're left in awe of the mystery that got you into it in the first place.

I hope to have the opportunity to help someone reach that place with my time on this forum. At least I can try.

Nice to meet you all.

Hello folks, repoman here. I've been an amateur musician for most of my life, played in many band settings, only just recently (maybe three years ago) began recording my own music at home. I joined the forum to gather info an home studio recording. :guitar::listeningmusic::drunk:

Hey from Melbourne here...

Without question, creating music in general is euphoric, being able to influence & inspire those to listen to your track makes it way more
precious, but what ultimately sets the bar ahead of the rest is the intent to make music from where it's coming from.

By the way, my names Luke & I'm 21.

Hello, I've been a performer/songwriter for longer than I care to admit, because it makes me acknowledge my last birthday... age denial.:D I am getting into this digital recording thing now, and I stumbled across this site... It's a goldmine of useful info, and there seems to be many very entertaining people on here as well... looking forward to getting to know some of them... thanks!
Trample the weak, hurdle the dead!
:drunk:

Back